• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

1st attempt at power coating

JDM74

Rock Crawler
So, as some of you might remember I bought an Eastwood powder coating kit. Well today was my first attempt at it.

So the guinea pig was a scalerfab bumper from my SCX10.2. The "bedliner" was already coming off so I figured, "why not?"

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

So I had an old gravity feed sand blasting rig after a few minutes with that all the "bedliner" was gone.

I cleaned it with some brake cleaner then baked it for about 15 minutes at 450 then cleaned it again and applied the powder. It was a lot easier than I thought. Just need to make sure you have a good flashlight to check for coverage.

Popped it in the oven at 450 till it glazed then dropped it to 400 and bake for 20 minutes.

And here is the finished product. It's not perfect. Got a couple pits and one what looks to be a fish eye. But not bad for the first attempt I think.

Last edited:
I have literally spent tonnes of powder coat and thats manual applied with 1 gun, and i have yet to put too much of it on something.

My favorite guns = Wagner, my hate guns = Nordson.
My hate job, running the automated line when that painter was out sick, aside for propelling myself along i do not like any mechanical / digital help so needless to say painting robots / CNC lathes - mills - grinders ASO i also stay clear off, using my other educations.

You've got a great result !

I've used the technique of Acetone to clean, then a "dry" run in the oven to bake off any impurities. Let the part cool down to just " luke warm", hit it w/ the PC then back into the oven.

Last edited:
That looks like great results! When do you start taking orders?:)
I got a bumper from Scaler Fab and the bed liner they put on flaked off with a strong fart. It didn't seem like it was prepped properly. I asked them why they don't powder coat their metal items and they said they're not set up for it. I really think they should for the type of parts they have. I also think they should let you know how easy the bed liner flakes off. I would have just bought a raw material bumper and done it myself.

Now, I want a powder coater again... thanks.:)
Is that just a toaster oven you had laying around?

Yeah, toaster oven and the better of the 2 eastwood kits. I’m just using the sample powder that came with it right now. I did all the cast parts on my hpi venture and they turned out even better. I have a thread in the venture section.

Back