• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Carbon Fiber Tutorial (Plug, to Mold, to Part)

The write up on the plug and mold project was great, thanks.

How would you go about laying up sheets to make flat pieces? I have West System epoxy to use, if that matters. If one needs a 3mm thick part is there a filler to use so as to not just lay up a large pile of cloth?

Thanks, and I'm glad you asked about plate. I'll be making some ASAP for my 1.9 build. I'll do a step by step, and post it here as I go.

Last edited:
Basic one-sided smooth, composite plate lay-up.

Here I'm making the 2-layer plate (1-6oz. carbon / 1-4oz. glass), that will be used on my 1.9's windshield, and various other detailng bits. You can add as many layers as needed, to make carbon fiber plate for any purpose. The drop-out plates on my bicycle, were made nearly the same way, except that another smooth plate went on the top, of the 24-layer 6oz. carbon cloth lay-up, that was then compressed with a big clamp. The molds for that were made from 3/4 aluminum plates.

I started with something smooth for the plate mold, such as this laminated piece of MDF.

MOLDANDRELEASEAGENTS_zpsa4b43071.jpg

It gets a coat of wax, then a layer of Poly Vinyl Alcohol is applied, by smearing the liquid around as the alcohol evapourates.

BASIC HAND LAY-UP PART-1 - YouTube

You can hear me blowing wind on to it, to speed the evapouration up a little. Your hand can feel the liquid thickening, as you smooth it to a nice film. It's basically like a liquid cellophane. Once dry, nothing will stick to your mold.

BASIC HAND LAY-UP PART-2 - YouTube

First apply resin to the mold's surface. I use my naked hand, because I am immune to Bog Rash, and I can feel exactly how much resin is being applied. Just enough to soak all the layers good (in this case 1-layer), and enough that the last layer goes on with out wetting, to soak up the extra resin that is in the main layer(s). With practice, perfect lay-ups can be achieved.

You'll notice the wet rag I'm constantly wiping my hands with. When the epoxy resin is first mixed, you have a small window with the freshly mixed sauce, that allows it to be water-soluble. If you wait to long, the crosslinking chemicals won't break down with water, and then you will have to use acetone to clean up with. Just washing with water doesn't do as good of a job, and the wet rag does. The wet rag just seems to pull the resin away from your skin.

BASIC HAND LAY-UP PART-3 - YouTube

I thought I mixed up enough sauce. Nope :oops:

The rest of the resin went to make sure I didn't miss any areas around the cloth's edge.
Use the metal lay-up roller, to mash-out all the trapped air, and distribute the resin evenly in the layer(s).

BASIC HAND LAY-UP PART-4 - YouTube

Drape on the last layer, and try to get it in the right spot (unlike me here trying to re-position it, without wrinkling it all up). :oops: Use the roller agin to even out the resin, and take care of any trapped air. As for how much pressure to apply to the roller? When you have a lay-up that is thoroughly wet-out, but not overly wet (pooled resin, intead of moist-looking, satin-ish, weave evenly saturated, last layer), and has no surface bubble-pin holes on the smooth side. Not to worry if there are pinholes from air on the smooth side, it just means more filling work, if the smooth side is to be painted.

BASIC HAND LAY-UP PART-5 - YouTube

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:
What are you using for resin/epoxy?

You tinted it, or it comes dark?

I have never seen a roller that small, where can that be purchased? I have 6 and 8 inch, most with grooves. Is that one grooved or smooth?

Are you using the glass layer as an inexpensive backer material?

Thanks for posting the process.

What are you using for resin/epoxy?

You tinted it, or it comes dark?

I have never seen a roller that small, where can that be purchased? I have 6 and 8 inch, most with grooves. Is that one grooved or smooth?

Are you using the glass layer as an inexpensive backer material?

Thanks for posting the process.

Yes, Epoxy resin. It's own structural properties, out-weigh using cheaper resins such as polyester, iso, even vinylesters.

I tint it slightly, because I like any of my visible carbon work, to be a rich black. Not the slightly green, or amber tinted look, when the un-tinted epoxy ages. It also makes it easier to see in the vids.

I custom made that particular roller. Had it turned by a friend, with a slight convex to it. It was the tool behind my best hand lay-up work, which was when I produced the wee boats, such as this Papabois:

PAPABOISCFPKIT6_zpsfce7aad0.jpg

Yes, glass as a cheap second layer. The two are plenty strong enough for a crawler body. To give an idea to what a prit-near indestructible body lay-up would be, put 4-layers of 6oz. carbon cloth, and that will be a dam tough.

Last edited:
Can you post some more images of the boats?

The last flat panels I tried had way to much epoxy and poor clamp up.

Can you use wax paper to keep the bottom layer from sticking?

Can you post some more images of the boats?

The last flat panels I tried had way to much epoxy and poor clamp up.

Can you use wax paper to keep the bottom layer from sticking?

Check here for the boats:

Obeah Boat Works

You have to keep experimenting, untill you get the desired results. After I made the molds for my wee boat's keel blade. It took 18 attempts until I learned the mold, and the pieces came out perfect.

Use the propper release agents. The first thing to master with composites, is learning to make molds and polishing to Class-A finishes. Second thing to master is not having anything stick to your molds.

I'm glad you're finding the tute useful. Remember, if y'all have any questions, ask here and I will answer, for all to see the info.

Nigel,
Can you explain the differences on the carbon weave numbers (3k, 6k, and so on)? Why would someone use 3k weave over 6k? Looks? Or is there strength associated with the different weaves as well?

Thanks.

Jeff

When you see the checkered weave, one of the strands (warp or tow), contains a certain amount of fibers. A 3k has 3000 fibers in the warp or tow strand. The weight of the cloth is usually next: ie 6oz., and it's thickness, or de-bulked (mushed down) numbers follw that.

Bigger (12K) means more fibers than 3K. Heavier cloth, to make thicker composites.

Weaves or unis. The fibers are strong in their direction, so a uni-directional cloth, is stiff in one way. A standard weave (checkered), is strong in 2-directions like a plus, but will flex in the "x" directions Add a second layer of standard woven cloth at the x-direction, and the cloth is now strong in all directions. Manipulating the fiber directions, gives the ability to make a part flex a certain way, or not flex at all...

Last edited:
I've did it for all kinds of scale, from open 60's, lux catamarans, weapon systems, r/c, and novelty products, even 3 custom dildos as requested by the client (no I didn't mold them off of me :mrgreen:), and the world's only molded CF smoking bongs, about 10-years ago. 16 in total, for some old hippies living in northern Canada.

Now it's just bike frame repairs. "thumbsup"

Quick question though, how did you mold the hood and side panels of the Steelhead build? Did you use a lexan body as a plug? Or did you first make a plug of it? "thumbsup"

Yes, I waxed and PVA'd the hood, and panels as needed, then cast glass fiber flash molds of the body work. The flash molds were just 2-layers of 6oz. glass, with grapghite enriched epoxy as the tooling layer. Good enough for one or two pulls.

Last edited:
I can't wait to try this. Just the other day I remembered I had a huge roll of fiberglass and was wondering what to make, but now I'm going to try carbon fiber

Sxc10 custom exo cage, cheetah print and bedazzled wraith for the girlfriend, and team associated pro-lite 4x4 short course truck

Nigel,

Do you ever thin your epoxy? I know most manufacturers don't recommend solvent thinning, but for RCs and models it might be useful and not matter as the structural issues are small.

Nigel,

Do you ever thin your epoxy? I know most manufacturers don't recommend solvent thinning, but for RCs and models it might be useful and not matter as the structural issues are small.

No. Never thin the chemicals. If you need a too-thick-of-resin to flow, simply warm it a bit. Hair-dryer works great. Idealy, there are different resins; in terms of viscosity, to meet the requirements of the application, but that's not the simple way.

If penetration is an issue, a slower setting hardener, will let the epoxy resin flow into every nook & crany, way before setting up.

I layed up some CF with glass mat in the center to make a 3mm+ panel. West System, vacuumed down with tacky tape and a film. I have a few pin holes in the panels. How best to get those filled? Squeegee some epoxy into them and then re-finish?

I layed up some CF with glass mat in the center to make a 3mm+ panel. West System, vacuumed down with tacky tape and a film. I have a few pin holes in the panels. How best to get those filled? Squeegee some epoxy into them and then re-finish?

It's teedious (spelling), but mix up some resin; and using a toothpick, put a wee drip in each pinhole. Then block sand flat when dry. Paint with your chosen colour, or clearcoat for the weave-look.

Back