• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

“Old Blue”: A throwback Bronco tuber build

Electronics came in! And they are...

Holmes Hobbies "thumbsup"

- 2200KV brushless motor
- TrailMaster BLE Pro
- Castle BEC
- Holmes HV500v2 servo

I'll be running this setup on 2s
And using a Futaba 4PLS to pilot the thing.

xwIRE4x.jpg

olJf7tf.jpg

Got some work done.
Shock mounts set up:

Kh9mIfQ.jpg

HwyEHO8.jpg

And the front bumper. It was a major pain the the butt getting those bent right and making everything even :|
So glad that's done! "thumbsup"

SVo8BPc.jpg

oXHwnbB.jpg

1BhzUiW.jpg

Got some work done.

Shock mounts set up:

Kh9mIfQ.jpg

HwyEHO8.jpg

And the front bumper. It was a major pain the the butt getting those bent right and making everything even :|

So glad that's done! "thumbsup"

SVo8BPc.jpg

oXHwnbB.jpg

1BhzUiW.jpg
Looks like your bronco will be wearing a bowtie:)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I didn't even mean it that way it literally looks like a bow tie not a Chevy bowtie. I'm not a Chevy fan either.

I wouldn't be following this thread if you had a Chevy

That looks cool. You are well on your way. It looks like your CG will be low. Should perform well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tape atalk

Thanks! I appreciate it!

I am hoping it will crawl very well.
Almost all the weight will be from the gear box and motor, which should end up being the lowest thing in the chassis . Hoping the CG ends up quite low.

next heaviest thing will be the battery, which I'm putting under the hood, over the front axle. Hope that will help with climbing.

You can see the battery tray in this picture.

HT43NIT.jpg

Thanks! I appreciate it!

I am hoping it will crawl very well.

Almost all the weight will be from the gear box and motor, which should end up being the lowest thing in the chassis . Hoping the CG ends up quite low.

next heaviest thing will be the battery, which I'm putting under the hood, over the front axle. Hope that will help with climbing.

You can see the battery tray in this picture.

HT43NIT.jpg
You are not doing a chassis mounted servo?

Well I got the sides of the bottom pan brazed in this weekend.

I think this thing is ready to start putting together for some initial test runs to see how it handles! "thumbsup"

sYjwb4k.jpg

MDCCbZH.jpg

FcKp4J2.jpg

nM4cbzY.jpg

Started putting this thing together.

I had to modify the shock mounts on the axle. I was getting binding. I hope I don't regret cutting those things up.

Before:
fwzZKQl.jpg

Where i need to move it:
yDwqhu4.jpg

After:
mdwKWyF.jpg

Got a few brackets on for some of the accessories:

V2IMqxT.jpg

otAt6c0.jpg

Also got the motor mounted, gear box put on the skid plate and installed into the bottom pan.

oZaLBQA.jpg

50zk0KA.jpg

Been awhile since I put up a update. Been busy traveling with work.

Decided to upgrade the shocks to something from this decade :lmao:

Welcome Pro-Line
x4um6xx.jpg

Picked up a fuel cell to put the receiver in. Did the detail on it with a liquid chrome marker. Turned out super cool, but the chrome just doesn't show very good in the picture.
4cfXEq4.jpg

C90gDr0.jpg

Mocked up the mounting for the jack and fuel can.
i448UHX.jpg

It's been a crazy summer, but I'm finally finishing up this project.

I spent many hours trying to make the CMS work to my liking, but it just limited travel more then I could take. There is a reason the 1:1 trucks I'm building after use hydraulic axle mounted steering. I wish I could copy that on a scale level! So, servo is going on the axle, at least for now.

Here are some pics of it put together and test driving.

Just need to tear down and paint!

2eE4g9I.jpg

UwCnxv2.jpg

aGpjoMy.jpg

aII52cs.jpg

lTXZaCR.jpg

Outstanding job man! You nailed it. It’s exactly what you started out to build 12 years ago :shock: It looks very close to your inspiration rig you showed at the beginning. Much respect to you on the metal work. You did an exceptional job. I’ve been wanting to do a full tuber truck like this with just the nose and doors. They always look so nice. Again well done!

Back