• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

YXL Performance Discriminators

avted

Pebble Pounder
I'm sincerely contemplating embarking on a Yeti XL kit build, and keeping an eye on folks experiences on this forum. It's been a while since I've dug into a build (I have a moderately modded nitro revo and a heavily modded brushless Mini-LST2/MMB) A question for those of you who have experience with both the YXL and vehicles on either side of the YXL's target market (presumably, monster trucks and buggys/truggys and maybe even entry level crawlers). Aside from the awesome look of the YXL, and the appeal of having a scale RC rock racer (which may be adequate reason in itself to own a YXL), does the design offer any significant capability differences from other vehicles? The dramatically higher power/weight ratios of RC designs compared to their full-scale counterparts and oversized tires and suspensions seem that they sometimes trump some of the design differences in terms of real performance gains, and it's not clear to me what the YXL is providing. For example, the solid rear axle seems to hold the promise of greater articulation and, presumably, better handling over extreme terrain than, say, a Traxxas eRevo or an HPI Savage Flux, while, at the same time, the independent front suspension and "buggy" label convey the idea that it may actually have solid high speed handling in mild off-road conditions. In short, what is this cool looking thing, and what are its discriminators in terms of physical performance that we don't have access too in other similarly priced (or even similarly modded) vehicles?

It's a scaled down version of the U4RC trucks.

The Flux and Revolution are poor attempts at scaled down monster trucks.

Simple as that.

Speed + Crawling.

Nailed it Joy. There are vehicles that can crawl better, there are ones that will go faster but for me I don't race, and all my bashing is done on mostly off road type areas not rock piles. The Yeti is perfect for that. I feel Axial did to the RC world what King of the Hammer did for the rock crawling/desert race world. When I saw the Yeti XL I wanted it immediately. My savage would do a lot of what the Yeti XL does, but at the same time its not a fair comparison it has 3 speeds and is nitro for starters. The yeti appears to handle rough terrain at higher speeds than my savage would. I have been running RC cars on and off for a while and there will always be the next big thing. I looked at it as will this kit provide $1000 of fun after all is said and done, the answer was yes so I bought it. If money is a factor trust me I get it, if money isn't a factor......buy it, you know you want to ;-)

My Kraton will handle high speed and stunt better than my XL can. The Summit will typically have an easier time crawling 3 mph over things versus the XL. Neither of them will look as good as the XL marauding up a steep rocky hill while bouncing around. To me anyways, the XL is just a ton of fun on harsh terrain, I have a blast doing hill climbs and whatnot with it, whether its a full speed romp over a pile of bricks or full blast climbing the tiered cow paths on the hill, it really shines in the right environment. It's not the rig for everyone, but while it does seem to have an "identity crisis" at times, it's simply unique enough that I don't regret my purchase one bit.

Appreciate all the input. This is just the kind of information I was looking for from folks with first hand experience.

More video evidence of why:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pE-nVeIfyhM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let me see if I can get my scrambled thoughts on paper here. Try to follow me as I know I will be all over the place on this one. I'm not going to proof read this for context and I'm sure it will be out of order, I know this already, dont lambast me....I'm simply going to fire and forget!:flipoff: Random thoughts in no particular order or flow:

This is a BEASTLY MONSTER of an RC! With that, you have to expect several advantages and disadvantages. The bigger it is, the heavier it is. The heavier it is, the harder it hits. The harder it hits, the more energy has to be absorbed into the same materials that are used in the making of smaller, lighter vehicles. Basically, this will sustain more damage than smaller RCs will.

The design, as metioned above, is that of a King of the Hammers rig. But, it is not made from titanium or cold rolled steel tubing and parts. The design of a scale RC under 1000$ that you will not expect to translate from the 30-50K$ KOH 1:1 rigs.....ITS AN RC CAR! LOL! It will traction roll, it will torque flex, it will flip end to end, land on its head, and break when you don't want it to. But, hey, it's an RC car, Jack! HAHA!

I like the stability of the Solid rear axle but I dont like the rear differential - wish it was locked. But, I can put 500K diff fluid in it and almost mimic a posi rear end. If I wanted to rock crawl, I would have kept my crawler and not sold it to buy the YXL. So, I have to look at it for what it is and be happy I have one. The diffs are tunable with fluids and that should make all but the pickiest of enthusiasts happy. There is no center diff, so you can expect this NOT to be a race platform, but a basher/fun platform. Good, bad, mediocre.....you choose. I coundn't care less, personally.

If you want to go fast, it's going to cost you. There aren't a whole lot of electronics in the "affordable" range to move this monster. So, you're going to have to pay to play. A big ESC/Motor is required and a HUGE powerful servo is a MUST! Both are going to cost you some serious cash-ola. Consider the weight of this thing - if you want speed you can only get so much out of the high end stuff available on the market right now. I am running the Tekin 1/8 scale RX8/T8 2000kv motor on 2s, and I consider that a big system but it only has so much top speed.

I'm into mine for roughly 950$ at this point, so it's not something to be taken lightly!...
Yeti Kit - 430$
Servo - 125$
Motor/ESC - 250$
Radio - 70$
Paint, wires, sundry - 75$

For me, this filled the hole I had for a LARGE scale RC with speed and looks. I have had the EMAXX, the REVO (nitro and brushless) but there was always something missing in the "fun factor" department. I completely enjoyed my EXO terra buggy, and my wraith but I needed more...so I built a "Wrexo", or "Terra Buggy". Oh, I was in heaven with that vehicle. So, it only made sense when the Axial Yeti came out, I needed to get one. Well, I heard rumors at the time there would be a big brother so I waited on the Yeti and went straight for the Yeti XL. It completes me! LOL

I would not be doing the world any favors if I didn't mention this...you need plenty of room to run this "thing"! It is big and fast and will consume space in a heart beat. It is heavy, and fast so unless you have a good servo/radio to control it and a good suspension set up, you're going to fight it all day long.

Some complain about gears breaking or chipping when running them on high powered electronics....DUH! My truck weighs significantly more than an Emaxx or Revo and people have issues with those diffs when not shimmed or using a slipper clutch correctly. Take a nearly 15 lb rig and hammer it with the largest electronics you can find, something is going to break or have to give! Use the slipper clutch to control the initial shock to the drive train and you'll be fine. Don't hold the trigger WOT when landing jumps to save the drive train....simple stuff to extend your fun. I mention this simply because people complain about something that can me resolved if they would simply say..."thats my fault" and not blame Axial for a poorly designed product.

I'm not trying to talk you into a kit over RTR but here is a few considerations: The kit does address a few concerns that the RTR had. The rear links were soft and needed upgrades, the kit offers aluminum side plates to stiffen them up. The RTR had plastic steering and camber links, the kit has steel. The RTR had a TON of torque flex, the kit has a rear torsion bar. The Kit has 2-stage springs(some would argue they are worse than the RTR) and the kit allows you to build it yourself and enjoy that aspect of it, which I love! Not to mention, the kit offers the ability to install whatever electronics you want from the start.

That should be enough for now - feel free to pick it apart and ask any questions you wish.

Red"thumbsup"

Here's some gifs from my video which I think show the XL doing what it does best.

m2WRXb.gif

KYd8zo.gif

vMYN8Y.gif

I laugh every time I leave the house with it as I can barely get thru the doorway with it. It feels like a pig when you pick it up. But when you fire it up it's fast and feels like a much smaller rc than it looks.

Thanks for sharing the videos. My son and I enjoyed watching them together. A couple more videos that may represent the YXL performance niche. Some of this looks more like rock hopping than rock crawling. Maybe the YXL is more of a big RC electric powered torsion spring than a vehicle?

https://youtu.be/v81LlevG3-0

https://youtu.be/PLUWhVQMsJU

PS: I'm definitely leaning toward the kit version for many of the same reasons others on this forum have highlighted -- and I just like to build things.

Thanks again for your input. Kit arrives tomorrow!

This guy only has 3 videos but man above i have no idea how more stuff didn't break compared to what everyone is writing. Maybe it did but i guess that's video editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YgimoCVxJE

This guy is a member of my Thunder Tiger MT4 forum, he has contributed years of video / carnage pics, he definitely puts his RC through the hoops.

He doesn't hide anything, contributes a lot of information of how he modifies / repairs his blunders when he has some major fails.

He has good control with his jumping, probably contributing to a lot of his success. If I've read one thing over and over again, it's that many people do not let off the throttle when the big heavy trucks come crashing down to the earth. Tires grab, pins/axles/diffs snap. Amazing what little tricks you can learn to avoid catastrophes that you wouldn't even think of 'til it happens.

I applaud the guys who trash their trucks enjoying them to their full potential. They are getting much more of their money's worth compared to someone like me who plays once a week or less and just does some light bashing.

Took the plunge and built the Rock Monster (as my 5 year-old son calls it). Used a number of the Hot Racing parts, and have been pleased with their quality (past experience with Hot Racing on a much smaller vehicle was mixed). Running a Tekin RX8 Gen2/2000kv setup on 6S/5000mah and stock gearing. I really like the smooth low speed control of the sensored motor/ESC. Only 2 packs through the truck so far. Nothing broken, although I haven't done any jumping or hit anything hard (yet).

I was pleasantly surprised with the handling. I've got front and rear sway bars, CI foams, Gorilla taped tires, 30wt shock oil front and rear, out-of-the-box springs and shock collar adjustments, and 500k/100k rear/front diff fluid. Played around a bit with front and rear ride height (shock positions) and sway bar settings till I could climb some steps and drive at decent speeds on pavement without frequent rolling.

Overall I'm impressed at the range of terrain this thing will handle. It has enough capability in enough areas (without frequent re-tuning) to just be a lot of fun to drive slow or fast. It will do some rock crawling (including steps, with a bit of power to compensate for the articulation and clearance limitations -- made worse by the sway bars), is very very smooth for low speed trail driving (some credit to the sensored motor/ESC there), eats up grass like a mower, produces sweaty chills on high speed pavement blasts without losing control, handles high traction corners remarkably well (about as well as I recall my RTR nitro Revo prior to lots of mods), transitions seamlessly between all these types of terrain (better than my modded Revo), and looks really cool while doing it. And I can pull my kids around in the wagon.

Not sure what I'll do next with this thing. Played a bit with servo horns till I found one that was short enough not to get pushed off the servo (probably bumping into the chassis). Maybe I'll play with springs (I have the HR progressive rears and some HPI Baja mediums that I haven't tried), and try increasing the front sway bar diameter (note: although the stock kit rear sway bar is a nice strong one-piece design, the aftermarket options allow you to change the diameter without disassembling any of the rear cage). The ESC and batteries are staying cool, and the only time I noticed the motor getting hot was after an extended session of kid-pulling and grass thrashing. That was after I dropped the motor timing by one, so maybe I'll try dropping a tooth or two on the pinion.

That motor is not meant to be driven on 6s. You're going to burn the esc up. it's too much of a current draw, call Tekin before you continue.

Hey redsawacs, thanks for the heads up, I'll look into this. The RX8 gen2 ESC is rated for 6S (and I think over 200 amps). Are you referring to the ESC or the 4938 truggy motor (or both)?

RX8 GEN2 spec says 6S is limited to 1700kV.

Do you mean 4038 Truggy?

T8 GEN2 4038 2250V / 2000kV is 4S, 6s is 1350kV.

Last edited:
Back