• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Yet Another What Truck Question

Which Truck?

• Total voters

jh313

(To skip drawn out back story, begin with starred sentence) 8)
Sorry in advanced for asking another one of these hated questions.8)
I'm thinking of purchasing a trail-rig but don't know where exactly to start. Let me give a little of my experience:
I have over 5 years driving and fixing nitro R/C trucks.
I have 3 years flying R/C airplanes.
As such, I would not consider myself a beginner to the R/C world and would say I have a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to this. I am thinking of expanding my hobby (might be this or a boat) to gain more enjoyment out of it. Most of my experience is with Nitro, although I originally had an electric rustler, but got bored quick. One of the things holding me back is just that, the trucks are electric.
*If I am able to look past that I have a few trucks in mind:
The Wraith kit
SCX10 Dingo
GMade R1
Tamiya CC01
Vendetta Crawler
With exception to the Vendetta, all of these vehicles are kits, and I would prefer to build the truck.
Do you have any suggestions, I plan to drive alone in the woods behind my house or on the trails at my local park.
Also,
Would the XL-5 ESC and Titan 12t motor be enough, or should I consider something else?
Any advice on the Fly Sky FT-3C transmitter?
My budget, including batteries and radio would be about $400. My only other request would be to have working lights.
Any help would be great
Thanks in advanced,
JH313

I voted other. I just ordered a ridgecrest. Same equipment as a wraith and i got it for $270 shipped from tower. I wanted a wraith kit but this was cheaper.

Not a bad idea. Now leaning toward the Dingo. I have taken the Vendetta, R1, Night Crawler and Wraith off my list. The Ridgecraft has been added to my list. How would my xl-5, titan 12 t and flysky radio work? what about steering servos?
Thanks

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Reading more, looks like 12t wouldnt work. Any suggestions for a brushed motor and esc, relatively cheap. I do not know anything about motors, turns, etc.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Wraith kit. Its just bada$$ & you can do almost anything with it.
The stock AE-2 ESC is a very usable ESC for crawling (with a BEC & 2s or 3s lipo)
27 Turn is about as low a turn motor I want to put in my wraith for crawling / trail, I have a 55 Turn in currently & thats as slow as I can handle.

Ridgecrest only comes as a rtr. So you won't need your electronics. You can upgrade as you feel the need.

Neither the Wraith, R1 nor Night Crawler are "Trail" trucks.
My vote goes to the Dingo, because of all the options available for SCX10 chassis!

Suitable motor options would be brushed 45T or 35T. 45T on 2S gives you a "brisk walk" top speed with long run time, while 35T on 3S is substantially faster and consume more energy.
Tekin Fx-R seems to be the ESC of choice (for being small and light weight), with other potent options from Castle and Holmes Hobbies available.

Well for a trail truck you want more scale etc so go the scx10. As for electrics well you'll want a 35T or less. And for ESC you'll want a cc sidewinder or Holmes brxl as the amount for a tekin you may as well get the Holmes. For the servo you don't need a super high torque but a we went 250oz is good.
So the kit is about $260
CC sidewinder $65 or Holmes $100
35T tekin $46
Servo ( lots of choice ) $50.

I didn't vote, but I would go with a dingo. I just got one a couple weeks ago and its fantastic. I'm running a traxxas xl-5 esc with a RC4WD 55t with the stock 20 tooth pinion on a 7.2 volt stick pack. It moves along at a nice walking pace and I get about 30-45 minutes of run time. You can get the dingo kit on RPP's site for $249 and he had a $15 off coupon code so it was $235 shipped.

Why is the scx10 rated so highly over the cc-01?
Is ****crawlers a good place to buy from?
thanks for all of the help so far.
Why is name of website starred out?

Last edited:
For the Dingo kit RPP Hobby is probably going to be the best place to buy. Their service really does rock.

For the motor and ESC Holmes Hobbies have a combo deal.
You could get the BR_XL and Torque Master Expert 35 T for $134.99 plus shipping. Holmes Hobbies LLC

Back