• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Wondering which crawler to get

2HicksRC

I'm looking between the

Axial SCX10 (Either trail Honcho RTR or Jeep Rubicon Unlimited RTR)

or

GMADE SawBack Kit

I'm not really going to be doing rock crawling I'm just going to be trailing in and around the creek and atv trails around my house.

I'm not sure how hard the building process really is. I guess it really wouldnt matter. I've had a rtr 4x4 truck that I've converted to a semi crawler. Everything that was on it was pretty shitty. If I bought the rtr I'd probobly replace the parts on it anyway.

Well, the Sawback and the SCX10 are totally different animals. The SCX10 is coilovers and links whereas the Sawback has a leaf spring setup.

If you can follow simple instructions, have a fairly good budget ($500 including the kit) and some good tools, I would just go with the SCX10 Rubicon kit. It has a few upgrades already included on it. You'll just have to buy the electronics.

- Holmes Hobbies BRXL
- Holmes Hobbies 27T-35T brushed motor
- Spektrum radio system (3+ channels)
- Castle Creations BEC
- Steering servo (Savox, Hitec or Futaba)

http://www.rpphobby.com/Axial_SCX10_2012_Wrangler_Unlimited_Rubicon_p/ax90027.htm

I was thinking
Spektrum 2.4ghz receiver and transmitter
tekin 35t motor and esc
278oz servo

but im still wondering which to get. I like the leaf spring set up. Ive heard that it is too stiff for real rock crawling. For what I want to do I think it may be alright. I do like the scx10's setups but it doesnt look at cool as the sawback

the axial scx10 rubicon kit was what i was looking at before the sawback

Your parts list can work too. If you go with Holmes Hobbies, you'll be supporting a terrific RCC vendor as well as a "Made in the USA" company. The FXR can be a little tricky to setup with the HotWire. The BRXL works with the Castle Link chip and is incredibly simple to setup Low Voltage Cutoff and drag brake adjustments.

Castle Link: $20
Tekin Hotwire: $40-$60

As long as the servo is above the 200 oz. in. mark, you'll be fine. Just remember to install a CC BEC.

The leaf spring setup is VERY stiff, in my honest opinion. I don't think it looks good going down a rough trail. It bounces a lot and looks like a cheap kit. The Axial can absorb the bumps better and will crawl much better if you ever find a nice rock section. Plus you won't have durability issues with the Axial as you might come to know with the G-made (bent leaf springs and diff gears).

If you buy a star for $20, you'll be able to access RCC's Classifieds and you might find a better deal (Almost brand new) than one you can build.

Last edited:
Your parts list can work too. If you go with Holmes Hobbies, you'll be supporting a terrific RCC vendor as well as a "Made in the USA" company. The FXR can be a little tricky to setup with the HotWire. The BRXL works with the Castle Link chip and is incredibly simple to setup Low Voltage Cutoff and drag brake adjustments.

Castle Link: $20
Tekin Hotwire: $40-$60

As long as the servo is above the 200 oz. in. mark, you'll be fine. Just remember to install a CC BEC.

The leaf spring setup is VERY stiff, in my honest opinion. I don't think it looks good going down a rough trail. It bounces a lot and looks like a cheap kit. The Axial can absorb the bumps better and will crawl much better if you ever find a nice rock section. Plus you won't have durability issues with the Axial as you might come to know with the G-made (bent leaf springs and diff gears).

If you buy a star for $20, you'll be able to access RCC's Classifieds and you might find a better deal (Almost brand new) than one you can build.

I agree completely. I am old enough that I actually drove an M-151 jeep in the Army. It sat low to the ground. The Sawback is a recreation of the same vehicle, but it looks like the body is too high, so it does not look that realistic, to me. It looks really bad bouncing all over the trail. And the hardware for the Sawback is cheap phillips head hardware.

Also, with a heavy duty servo like the ones mentioned, you will have to have an external BEC. The castle CC BEC and CC BEC Pro are the two best BECs out there. You will need the Castle Link to program it to the correct voltage for your servo. If you buy a Holmes Hobby ESC, Axial AE-2 ESC, or a Castle Creations ESC, you can use the one Castle Link to program the ESC and the BEC. That would be better than having to buy both the Castle Link and the Tekin Hotwire. Also, there are way more upgrades available, at the current time, for the SCX10.

If you have a local hobby shop, see if they carry parts for either one or both. Always nice to have a place to get a quick part you might need to get u back driving!

Back