• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Wire connectors for lighting

ebeowulf17

I wasn't really sure if this should be in the newbie section or in the electronics section, but I'm definitely a newbie, so that's where I'm starting. Feel free to move the thread as appropriate.

I'm brand new to this hobby, I've got an Axial SCX10II F100 RTR, and I'm interested in rearranging the lighting. It currently has two lights on the bumper, but I want to move them into the light buckets for the actual headlights on the body. With the way the body hinges at the back, I'd need to extend the length of the LED wires quite a bit or else it would be a real pain every time I open it up.

The easiest solution would be an extension wire, but I can't seem to find one. I'd be willing to crimp or solder my own, but I can't even find the connectors to do it. It looks like the Axial lighting uses JST 1.5mm pitch connectors (JST ZH,) and I can find plenty of female connectors to make my own cords, but I can't find inline male connectors (only PCB mount male headers.)

Do you all know where I can get the matching JST connectors, or know of a good source for premade extension cables with these connectors? Alternately, are there other connectors that are more standard within the hobby (if there's a standard Molex size that's often used for lighting needs, or some other more common choice, I'd love to be more in sync with what other people and manufacturers use.)

My ultimate goal here is to have two different bodies with lighting built into them (I'm interested in getting a Jeep G6 body) and to have the same connector types on both so that I can switch relatively easily between the two.

Thanks in advance for any advice, including if you think I'm approaching this problem all wrong!

Yeah, I'd just chop those jst xh connectors out and use standard jst instead. Much easier to find those..

In terms of connectors that might be considered more of a "standard", that's the jst's that I'm referencing. In my RC world, everything is on either Deans or jst's.

I would use a JST connector somewhere near the body hinge, just solder it in.

https://www.amazon.com/eBoot-Connec...&keywords=jst+connector&qid=1593002107&sr=8-3

Yeah, I'd just chop those jst xh connectors out and use standard jst instead. Much easier to find those..

In terms of connectors that might be considered more of a "standard", that's the jst's that I'm referencing. In my RC world, everything is on either Deans or jst's.

Awesome, many thanks to both of you! That makes things much easier. I was really fixated on matching those little ones, but stepping up to the more standard size seems like a better plan.

For anyone who's interested, I did a little more research, and it looks like the full name for the connector in question (the one typically described simply as JST within the RC community) is JST RCY, and it's also described sometimes as a BEC connector.

I've got some of those on order now, along with some heat shrink, and I'm hoping to try some rewiring this weekend. Thanks again for the help! These forums really host a great community. You all have been very helpful!

UPDATE:
Thanks again for pointing me to the JST RCY pre made pigtails. I re-routed the wiring today with JSTs at the back of the rig, where the body folds up, and it works perfectly!

I still need to do something to secure the wires in the front part of the body - I held them temporarily with Scotch tape, just to get the wire lengths figured out, but I'm thinking maybe I'll try shoe goo as the long term fix. I've never used it before, but everything I've read about it sounds promising.

Hf74FXtnUmL5pZka6

kz2gKKH1mg9q1Fsp6

Hmmm... I tried attaching a few images, but they're not showing in the preview. I'll have to look into that. Maybe I did it wrong, or maybe I don't have the appropriate credentials or membership level.

There are a couple of things you can do for securing the wires. Depending on the build/body, I will use a dab of Shoe-Goo, or zip-tie mounts (link below).

For the Shoe-Goo, I use magnets to hold the wires in place, and put a little dab right on top of the wire and let it set up over night. It works well for factory painted bodies. For home-painted bodies, you have to let the paint cure for a couple of days (you'll want backing paint as well).

The zip-tie mounts work well, are instant, but may not be practical in all areas of a body.

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Pie...1&keywords=cable+mounts&qid=1593434945&sr=8-3

In both cases you want to make sure the body in clean or neither method will stick well.

There are a couple of things you can do for securing the wires. Depending on the build/body, I will use a dab of Shoe-Goo, or zip-tie mounts (link below).

For the Shoe-Goo, I use magnets to hold the wires in place, and put a little dab right on top of the wire and let it set up over night. It works well for factory painted bodies. For home-painted bodies, you have to let the paint cure for a couple of days (you'll want backing paint as well).

The zip-tie mounts work well, are instant, but may not be practical in all areas of a body.

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Pie...1&keywords=cable+mounts&qid=1593434945&sr=8-3

In both cases you want to make sure the body in clean or neither method will stick well.
Thanks for the tips! I'll be trying shoe goo because all but one of the spots I want to secure are in the middle of curved surfaces where the pads wouldn't work.

I'm glad you reminded me about cleaning. I should know the importance of prep work from my pro painting days, but I've gotten lazy as I've aged, and I might've forgotten! Any advice on how best to prep? My go-to for most cleaning needs is simple green, but it can be a bit stronger than needed occasionally. I wonder if there's any risk that simple green would damage the paint.

Back