• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Winch?

Can anyone tell me if i can power the wireless winch controller off the spare jst connector coming off of the XL5 esc? And yes it is the RC4WD controller. I figuered I've already got it so might as well try to use it. When it craps out I'll go with the controller mentioned in the earlier comments. Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking the post.

If you are running 3s or more and the JST sends all the power you might burn out the stock controller, I did. It ran fine off my BEC at 7.4 volts but not really that strong or fast.
Now I run the cheap RC4WD winch off its own ESC (3s) and it does great. It pulls almost as good as my nice $$ Reef 800 IS at 6 volts. I have been using it over a year now and it has had some long hard bulls and it is doing great.

Can anyone tell me if i can power the wireless winch controller off the spare jst connector coming off of the XL5 esc? And yes it is the RC4WD controller. I figuered I've already got it so might as well try to use it. When it craps out I'll go with the controller mentioned in the earlier comments. Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking the post.

Are you are talking about the little box you plug into the winch and the power? If it fits, yes. If it pushes too much power you may ruin the controller box. If it pushes too little the winch won't work very well. I believe the winch itself can handle 3s put the little box can only take 7.4. Mine ran fine when I ran off a BEC at 7.4 but weak as crap. When I went direct power on 3s it stopped working almost instantly. The winch itself still worked but not the controller.

Bowhouse servo winch mount with a servo winch. Works out well!

20200425-140036.jpg

This is perfect! Been looking for a way to mount a servo winch. Thanks

I use this RC4WD 1/10 Warn 8274 Winch, it is a powerfull winch and it will pullit out of almost anywhere (if the ground anchor holds in the dirt ), when it is stuck even with the wheels locked due to the drag brake locking the wheels

I'm using a Quick run 1060 ESC to power the winch which is controlled from the TX

Last edited:
How does the 1060 compare to say..... what you had before?

I've built many winches, out of regular servos, mini servos and as dedicated front-mounts unit.

I am not paying the prices I see for a Traxxas or a RC4WD new, sorry. So what I do is I buy cheap knockoff from Amazon, the ones with the red remote with two grey buttons, and install those. Plenty of power, they work great, I usually run them off dedicated BECs anyway, because I keep a BEC usually just for lighting, receiver and winch. Then the servo gets either something off the ESC or has its own dedicated BEC, as well.

One very, very important thing: they have no reverse-polarity safety, so DO NOT use them unless 1) your wiring is fixed and there is no way you can accidentally plug positive to negative and vice versa, or 2) (which is what I do) you install a shottky diode (there is room in their small square plastic enclosure, so it will be clean) on the way into the control unit.

I am telling you: do NOT buy those if there is even the slight risk of reverse polarity because the plastic will start to melt and it's a potential fire hazard. It can melt through your chassis, skids, lexan etc.

Anyway, I am here to help when I can!

Back