• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Winch: 3Racing or servo winch?

DrDiff952

Rock Crawler
I am looking to add a winch to the 1.9 Weekend Warrior Wraith. I have a Hacked Flysky FS-GT3C radio that has up to 8 channels.

Do I want a 3Racing (#CR01-27) or do I want a servo Winch?

Can you explain the purpose of a winch to me? I know what they're for on full-size vehicles, but isn't it kind of a pain to have to fiddle with a tiny little hook and fishing line just to drag your RC truck up the side of a rock?

Can you explain the purpose of a winch to me? I know what they're for on full-size vehicles, but isn't it kind of a pain to have to fiddle with a tiny little hook and fishing line just to drag your RC truck up the side of a rock?

its more for the scale realism of having to do it, one of the many reasons i like it and no doubt many others.

probably one of the main reasons so many people on here go hardcore spending out on all the goodies that make your rig look as true to life as you can.

plus also for any of the guys/gals that compete if you get stuck and dont have a winch you either get a one time"hand of god" allowance to reposition your rig or admit defeat

plus it impresses people who dont RC when they see that scale looking winch actually works and can pull your rig up lol :mrgreen:

If you want looks get a 3racing, if you want a winch that does what it needs to get a servo winch, you can make your own or get one from one of the great vendors on here TZI, KMS etc, no matter what winch you go with I would be getting a Heyok controler for it, the flysky with operate it, but you still need the controller on the vehicle.

its more for the scale realism of having to do it, one of the many reasons i like it and no doubt many others.

probably one of the main reasons so many people on here go hardcore spending out on all the goodies that make your rig look as true to life as you can.

plus also for any of the guys/gals that compete if you get stuck and dont have a winch you either get a one time"hand of god" allowance to reposition your rig or admit defeat

plus it impresses people who dont RC when they see that scale looking winch actually works and can pull your rig up lol :mrgreen:
Okay, so at least I'm not failing to notice some magical ability the winch has to grappling-hook itself onto something and start winching all by itself. :)

I run two servo winches, one up front with a dummy Warn for the scale look and one in the rear through the bumper. Both run HeyOk 4 amp relay controllers. Killer setup8)

Attachments

• 20140623_194353_resized.jpg
    20140623_194353_resized.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 20140606_144057_resized.jpg
    20140606_144057_resized.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 361
  • 20140623_143701_resized.jpg
    20140623_143701_resized.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 336
To parrot the above, after burning through a bulldog winch and the extra motor very quickly, I opted for a KMS winch with a Heyok controller. Excellent set-up and has completed two G6 events thus far and looking forward to running more with it. Best of luck in your venture. "thumbsup"

I think it comes down to what your usage/purpose
of having one... is !?

if yer gonna use it alot...
I'd go with servo type winch.

But if a scale look with purpose is what yer after...
and ya don't abuse it regularly
I'd get the Warn/3R

I went with the later
don't use mine every time I'm out on the trail.
I even unplug the power to the controller if not using it.
I just like the fact that it works if I want it to
and looks scale

I even have a useless faux radiator mounted behind the winch

more scale realism simply for 'da challenge of it ;-)

* showing off here... 'cause it isn't seen when the winch/body are positioned :oops: :cry:

Back