• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Which Nova foam goes with Rover white dot

Alex Yuen

I have just bought the Rover White dot and now want to buy the foam, sounds like everyone pro Nova two stages foam, I went to the web and found that there are quite a few of different types of Nova foam (such as softness, width, tall, etc.) that I need to pick, but I have no idea which type I should order. Would appreciate if someone can help me on this selection, Thanks a lot!

Configuration:
Rig - XR10
Beadlock - XR10 stock beadlock
Tire - Rover White dot
Chassis - Chaotic Switch Zero with Titanium linkgages
Front wheels - full loaded with stock inner weights and 6 bullet inserts

I have to apologize that I do not have a scale at home, let me come back to you on the total weight tomorrow, I have to buy a scale first. Thanks for your initiative on helping.

If your truck weights more than 6lbs ready to crawl go with the 5.5 Double Duece

I'll need to know your truck weight for an outer foam recommendation.

With the wheels you have, I would go with the Wide inner foams.

Great! Your information is very valuable to me. By the way, for the front wheels I am also using the Axial weights which go inside the tire and occupy spaces for the foam, will this affect the size of foam I select? And do people use different foam for the rear and front because of the wheel weight difference?

Great! Your information is very valuable to me. By the way, for the front wheels I am also using the Axial weights which go inside the tire and occupy spaces for the foam, will this affect the size of foam I select? And do people use different foam for the rear and front because of the wheel weight difference?

You can cut a small channel on the inside of the inner foam to allow for the space of the weights.

Similar to this.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/craw...ready-dual-stage-foams-*_*-2.html#post3597952

While we're talking foams and I don't want to start a new thread, but not trying to thread jack or anything. I am going to be finishing my build on my berg. My end total weight will be 3.7 to 4 pounds. I am going to be running .650" narrowed plastic wheels wrap in shaved bossclaws. My terrain is smooth to higher traction rocks. What you say would be a good foam. I want to get it right as I won't have the bead locks to swap foams easily. Thanks for your time and I'm looking forward to an answer.

While we're talking foams and I don't want to start a new thread, but not trying to thread jack or anything. I am going to be finishing my build on my berg. My end total weight will be 3.7 to 4 pounds. I am going to be running .650" narrowed plastic wheels wrap in shaved bossclaws. My terrain is smooth to higher traction rocks. What you say would be a good foam. I want to get it right as I won't have the bead locks to swap foams easily. Thanks for your time and I'm looking forward to an answer.

I would say the 5.0 CrawlerInnovations Double Duece foams. Narrow inner foams. Soft outer foams.

My truck is 4lbs 4oz and I am liking the soft outers on all 4 corners. .78" wheel.

You can email CrawlerInnovations for a second opinion. Include the information you listed above.
Customer Service

I have weighted my Xr10 and it is under 6 lbs including battery and wheel weights for the front. Front wheel is 490 gram for each and rear wheel is 157 gram , do I need different foam for the rear because it is much lighter?

My friend also wants to order the Nova Foam for his Wraith just for crawling and no bashing, weight 8.3 lbs ready to crawl, also going to use the Rover white dot, pls advice which foam should he order, thanks!

I have weighted my Xr10 and it is under 6 lbs including battery and wheel weights for the front. Front wheel is 490 gram for each and rear wheel is 157 gram , do I need different foam for the rear because it is much lighter?

Usually a stiffer foam is used in the rear tires to hold the truck up, for competition trucks. Most crawler spend alot of time on their back tires when climbing.

I would go with:
Wide Inner foams for all four tires
Soft Outers for the front
Medium outers for the rear. You might get some extra Medium and soft outers incase you need to put some medium outers up front.
All in the 5.25" size
5.25T Double Deuce Pair (2)
Foam sets are sold in pairs.

My friend also wants to order the Nova Foam for his Wraith just for crawling and no bashing, weight 8.3 lbs ready to crawl, also going to use the Rover white dot, pls advice which foam should he order, thanks!

I would say the the 5.5 Double Deuce foams with medium outer foams. If his wheels are wider than 1" I would go with the Wide Inner foam.
Some firm outer foams could be useful too.

Just remember with the closed cell inner foams, you will need to punch some small holes in the tires for the air to get out. The closed cell inner foams do not let air move through them freely.
I think the rovers may come with holes in them already.

Again, these are my suggestions. If you want a second opinion email CrawlerInnovations here. List all the information you have for the each rig and what you will be doing with them.

Customer Service

Usually a stiffer foam is used in the rear tires to hold the truck up, for competition trucks. Most crawler spend alot of time on their back tires when climbing.

I would go with:
Wide Inner foams for all four tires
Soft Outers for the front
Medium outers for the rear. You might get some extra Medium and soft outers incase you need to put some medium outers up front.
All in the 5.25" size
5.25T Double Deuce Pair (2)
Foam sets are sold in pairs.

With my experience a 1.25" wheel needs a 5.5" tall foam. Soft outer up front, Medium outer out back. Wide inners all around. The wider the better, you can always trim them down. If the setup feels too stiff or bouncy, trimming the closed cell inner will soften the overall feel without loosing too much sidewall strength. OR you could always shave the side lugs down some to soften up the tire. I have a feeling that the 5.25"s will feel nice at first, but once the foams and tires break in they will become softer. This is all due to the 1.25" wheel, though.

What do you mean 1.25"or 1"? How do you measure it? Do you mean the width of the bead lock wheel? Do you know the size of the XR10 stock wheel which is what I am using? All I know is a 2.2 wheel. Sorry for all these newbie questions!

Also, I have cut four holes on the side of each plastic wheel already for air to escape, do you mean these are not enough and I have to cut more holes on the side of the Rover tires as well?

What do you mean 1.25"or 1"? How do you measure it? Do you mean the width of the bead lock wheel? Do you know the size of the XR10 stock wheel which is what I am using? All I know is a 2.2 wheel. Sorry for all these newbie questions!

Also, I have cut four holes on the side of each plastic wheel already for air to escape, do you mean these are not enough and I have to cut more holes on the side of the Rover tires as well?

Yes, the width of the wheel. I think the stock XR's are like 1.7"

You can drill large holes in your inner foam since your wheels have holes in them now. The only issue is that the inner foam can slip and become misaligned from the wheels vent holes. Safest route is to put small holes in the tires.

Search tire "venting" in this tire section.

Yes, it is 1.7 just measured it including the thickness of the beadlock. I think I will go for the 5.5 wide, soft outer for the front and medium outer for the rear. Thank you to all!

Yes, it is 1.7 just measured it including the thickness of the beadlock. I think I will go for the 5.5 wide, soft outer for the front and medium outer for the rear. Thank you to all!

Yep, Glad Helhedded chimed in. I haven't ran a wide wheel setup in a while. But now I know a little more too "thumbsup"

By the way, for my friend's 8.3 lbs rig, inner foam 5.5 as well (his wheel is as wide as mine)? How about his outer foam choice for the front and rear.

Back