• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

What Overdrive Servo for Phoenix?

BLUJEEP

Hi all, been away for a while, but recently got back into crawling. I just picked up a straight axle VS4-10 Phoenix kit which looks awesome. I know I'll be putting a Quicrun Fusion SE 1800kv into it, but still trying to decide on the steering and overdrive servos. Not going to put a Dig servo in it right now. I'll also be using a DX5 radio with SR515 receiver.

What is everyone using for the overdrive and/or dig servos? I thought about just picking up two 20kg DS3218 servos from Amazon. Is it okay to use a high(ish) torque, metal gear servo like this for the overdrive? And will the Fusion SE put out enough power at 6v to run two of those?

I suppose the end points need to be set up carefully.

Thanks all! I've been checking out everyone's builds here, very impressive. I'm excited to get this finished.

You can use about any standard size servo, I think it’s recommended anything with 100+ oz/in. And with end points set you shouldn’t burn up any servo. I think there are also a few guys making mini/ micro servo adaptors for them to use a smaller and lighter servo.

I personally got a Hitec D645mg for dig duties in mine. Set the end points and it’s very quiet, which I like.

I used the two NSDRC RS400 Low Pro Servos for dig and od there about 98.00. You could also use there RS100 high torque micro servo for about 54.00 but you will need the adapter plate. Good choice on radio I have one here is a vid that may help you set end points for dig and od with the dx5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9KXOoCIz3Q "thumbsup"

Used two S605 servos at $25 each. They work great. 161 oz-in at 6 Vdc and metal gears. No reason to overkill for these applications.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated! I'm going to just put the steering servo in now, and be looking for a good shift servo, maybe low profile. And thanks for the link, Steven McKay. I'll check that out when it's time.

Another question while I have you, are you all using 2S or 3S batteries? And did you keep the stock 13T pinion?

I'm thinking of going 3S with this and wondered if the stock pinion is okay or I should get a 12T. Thanks!

I run 4s in all mine. I kept the stock gearing, its got plenty of wheel speed but also good low end too.

I'm a newbie in rc, I have very little experience. I have only run my Phoenix outside one time so far and ran it on Spektrum 2s smart battery. That little truck moves out for what I though crawler speeds would be, very surprised. Having said that, I did have it locked in high OD if that makes a difference. I do intend to lock it in low OD until I setup my OD and Dig just been lazy.

What’s the Holmes Hobbies mantra, “gear down volt up!”?

Given I have the portal kit, the same mentality applies. I went with a 12/56t pinion/spur combo with a 2700kv puller pro on 3s. Factory for the portal kit is 15/52? I think. Better low speed control, more torque (not that it needs it) but that aides in drag brake, and smoothness. And still has plenty of wheel speed. But when I bought my kit I also bought an assortment of pinions to try out out for the perfect combo. I got 10,12, and 14t pinions along with the factory 15t. Plus I knew I was going with the larger spur to get more gear reduction. Try a few and find what you like, if you like it how it is drive it. You may like the extra wheel speed for slippery climbs or popping a tire over a crack or hole.

What’s the Holmes Hobbies mantra, “gear down volt up!”?

Given I have the portal kit, the same mentality applies. I went with a 12/56t pinion/spur combo with a 2700kv puller pro on 3s. Factory for the portal kit is 15/52? I think. Better low speed control, more torque (not that it needs it) but that aides in drag brake, and smoothness. And still has plenty of wheel speed. But when I bought my kit I also bought an assortment of pinions to try out out for the perfect combo. I got 10,12, and 14t pinions along with the factory 15t. Plus I knew I was going with the larger spur to get more gear reduction. Try a few and find what you like, if you like it how it is drive it. You may like the extra wheel speed for slippery climbs or popping a tire over a crack or hole.

I just finished my Phoenix portal and have the 56 tooth spur. I put a nine tooth pinion on just for kicks. It's ridiculously slow at full throttle but now I have to get out to see the climbing difference. I won't stay with the nine tooth. I'll probably settle with an eleven or twelve but I want to have the experience with way under-geared just for the halibut.

Thanks guys,
I just ordered a 3S 2000mah battery, and guess I'll just try it with the stock pinion. From what I've read, the Fusion SE can go ridiculously slow so maybe it will be fine with that.

I do want enough speed to trail walk with. I have an SCX10-II with a HH Crawlmaster Sport and HW 1080 running on NIMH and it barely goes 3 mph, so I have to stop and wait for it to catch up.:ror:

3s should give u a lil more than walkin speed. Im running the stock 15/56 in mine, n on 4s, itll do back flips off rocks n trees lol

Took the super-low-geared Phoenix portal out for some climbing at lunchtime. It was able to climb both rock and mud slopes really well but probably not any better than a higher geared version. However, there was something really gratifying about slow climbing with the motor spinning at a fairly high RPM. Don't know why but I really liked it. We're gonna leave it like that for a while. I figured I'd come back ready to up the gearing for sure, so I've really surprised myself.

Back