• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Wanting 1 hour runtime out of RS10xt

heefageLA

Rock Stacker
My understanding is the higher the mah, c, etc... rating; the longer the runtime.
Is this correct?
Ive heard a stock rs10 only gets about 20min of play.
What type of battery should i use to get around an hour of play?

The stocker is 1500mah and 7.2V.

I just ordered the rs10 today and already know I want to drive it longer.:razz:

I wouldn't lock yourself into just thinking about long run times, instead find battery they works with your crawler to make it preform better. You don't want to jam one huge 5000mah battery in there that is going to make it top heavy when you could carry a couple smaller batteries. For example I run 1300mah batteries on my front axle to get my weight down low. I have 4 of these so I can stay out crawling for awhile.

excellent advice.
thats what im lookin' for.
so, you have two batt. on front axle and two batt. on back axle?

Nope just one 1300mah lipo on front axle, I have 4 of the same battery so I can charge them all up and bring them out to the field or just bring my charger along and alternate between a couple. I usually get around 40 min or so out a 1300mah battery. It seems like I always get bored or run out of daylight before I'm out of batteries.

I wouldn't lock yourself into just thinking about long run times, instead find battery they works with your crawler to make it preform better. You don't want to jam one huge 5000mah battery in there that is going to make it top heavy when you could carry a couple smaller batteries. For example I run 1300mah batteries on my front axle to get my weight down low. I have 4 of these so I can stay out crawling for awhile.

Exactly. You can run for as long as you like- just buy extra batteries. It isn't hard swapping them out when they go flat so if you only get 20 mins of run time from the stock battery then you could buy two more of them for example.

I'd rather have ten 500 mah batteries than one 5000 mah battery.

Also, it is hard to recommend a battery without knowing your electronics set-up, if you run an external BEC (a good idea to), if you want LiPo, etc.

I definitely agree. You won't want too big of a battery on the rig. More than a 2200 pack will be hard to place and make the rig top heavy.

So buy three 1300 lipo packs and you will be really close to an hour!

Another thing you should consider is buying a good charger. The stock charger that comes with the RS10 is garbage and has no indicator for when the battery is fully charged. Take the advice given from these guys and buy some small-ish lipos, a good lipo charger/balancer, a lipo cutoff or alarm, and have fun.

Last edited:
The higher the "c" the faster the battery will discharge and if you're using the stock esc, you might want to take a good look at the specs B4 purchasing batteries. Also, you're RS10 uses 370 motors which are grossly under powered for a 1/10 scale crawler, so you'll want to stay as light as you can with the battery.
My understanding is the higher the mah, c, etc... rating; the longer the runtime. Ive heard a stock rs10 only gets about 20min of play.
What type of battery should i use to get around an hour of play?

Last edited:
Another thing to think about when you only have one big battery is if something happens to it. I'd rather have a bunch of smaller batteries so if something happens to one, you have backups right there with you.

But the performance issue is really the main reason.

Don't worry, they're 380's, pretty decent little motor too. The guys are right, get some 1300's and you won't have to worry about run time. I ran 3, 6-8 gate courses plus bonus lines and typically had enough battery left for 15-20min of play after the comp. All on one, 1300mah 3s lipo. Just make sure to use a Lipo alarm or low voltage cutoff (LVC) if you're going to run lipo with the stock esc.

Way back when, my RS10 came with 370 motors but I see that Redcat has upgraded (perhaps it was just a small batch that had the 370's, I don't know). I've never used a 390 motor set up, let us know how they work. I really liked my RS10, I think it's a great rig for the price. (get some good tires, the stock ones are OK for bashing, but that's about it)
"you're RS10 uses 370 motors which are grossly under powered"

Thought the new rs10XT came with 390 motors?

I hope redcat isnt lying to me already, I havent even got my rig yet!

http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/Rock-Crawlers/Rockslide-RS10-XT-1-10-Scale-Crawler

thanks for all the help guys.
ill be ordering the thunder ac6 charger and three more batteries in the next few days.

I havent decided yet.
I just got home so ill be researching diff. batteries.
What brand and such do you guys use.
Ill prob be going with 1500mah or below.

Back