• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Venduro X4.2 Dumpster fire build

This is a very cool looking build!"thumbsup"

Great job on all the 3D printed designs and prints!

Excited to see how the build will look and to hear how it performs!

Oh wow...

Your bumper, shock / body mounts, and cage are things of beauty!

Absolutely incredible, sir.

"thumbsup"

Thanks Durok!

I love this build! That printed cage area is turning out pretty good!

Thanks Soze!

This way cool ��

Is that a question �� lol kidding
thank you "thumbsup"

This is a very cool looking build!"thumbsup"

Great job on all the 3D printed designs and prints!

Excited to see how the build will look and to hear how it performs!

Thanks, I was hoping to run it this weekend but my foot decided it wants to pinch a nerve instead. So the farthest I'll be going for now will be the back yard :roll:

Small update, I got the cage actually finished. I know I said it was done a few days back but I went back to add mounting points so I could fasten the bed side to the cage. The original idea was to just glue it but thats overkill and more added weigth.

I made up some little washers to use with the tiny m2 hardware that way these dont just rip through the body.

WVoiHnM.jpg

2 screws on each side 2 screws in the back

iCRjE2j.jpg

Bed sides have been cut to shape

pdBjGyz.jpg

the Pinch isnt really that extreme

SkoGylp.jpg

But its still enough for the tires to barley clear

amDIj4C.jpg

Now time to wait for a good day to paint, its been amazing for weeks but of course now that i'm ready the humidity is through the roof :flipoff:

I got a good window for paint this afternoon. But first I'll share a tip that I've found extremely helpful for setting window masks or stickers.

First step is to cut the backing the same outline as the mask or more. Cutting it exact is pretty hard and may mess up the mask. I found you can cut just inside of the outline of the mask, peel the mask up enough to get the tip of the scissors under it but dont cut too far because you dont want it to stick too much yet. then you cut off a small section of the mask on one side, this will be used to stick the mask down as you align it.

like so
YKoWCt8.jpg

Then you stick it on and start adjusting until its nice and straight. I like to look at it from the outside to double check placement. Since there's only a small amount of the underside of the mask that will stick pulling it back up to re-adjust is easy.

2T3dcXQ.jpg

Once that's aligned pull the edge up that isn't stuck down so you can remove the rest of the backing and stick the rest down.

No more sticking the whole thing down only to have to attempt to pull it back off then have it curl up on you. This method makes things so much simpler.

I went with 2 light coats of Tamiya red PS-34 backed with black to darken it up a bit. I was actually hoping to be a bit more inconsistent with the red coats so I could get some variation but its pretty minimal. You can see the variation a bit if you look for it.

BvQbWel.jpg

SnBP0BB.jpg

This is the first rig I've really stickered up. I'm not a big sticker guy but I thought it would fit with this build. Lucky for me I still save stickers and had a massive pile to pull from.

V8Q7ZPm.jpg

I found a sticker for all the brands that make up this Mutt build. Actually I think I've got stickers for almost everything but Hobbywing and Spectrum (their stickers kind of suck)

FHo8XGa.jpg

I dont think I'll keep this but I'm playing around with a way to not lose the front body pins. This is something I do for every rig as a rule. Either magnets or some spot to clip them in place.

wCu3vQP.jpg

I also cut the rear of the chassis rails back to the shock towers, it was maybe 1 1/4" - 1 1/2".

FNBJGwc.jpg

I think its pretty much done surprisingly, but I'm stoked. I didn't want this one to be drawn out too long even though I really enjoy the build part of it.

Last edited:
Paint and decals really suits the vintage Baja look of the truck!

Awesome job - nice tips on the window masks, too... "thumbsup"

Well this is just about the best looking dumpster fire I have ever seen!
All looks great and I had never heard of a suckdown winch until now. Very cool!

Love the cut on the body.

Thanks

Paint and decals really suits the vintage Baja look of the truck!

Awesome job - nice tips on the window masks, too...

Thanks
There's a few stickers from the sand scorcher.

Well this is just about the best looking dumpster fire I have ever seen!
All looks great and I had never heard of a suckdown winch until now. Very cool!

Thanks Chris!

It started out as something I didn't really care about and slowly warped into something else. I started spending money on it and really seeing some potential in it.

I just need the pinched nerve in my foot to F off so I can enjoy this thing :flipoff:

Last edited:
This is a really cool build. Always inspirational seeing the things you pull off with the 3D printer. Not bad for a mutt that started as a a box of spares. Not bad at all "thumbsup"

May have to give that window mask trick a shot. Clever.

Very nice build. Ive always admire your work n thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

This is a really cool build. Always inspirational seeing the things you pull off with the 3D printer. Not bad for a mutt that started as a a box of spares. Not bad at all "thumbsup"

May have to give that window mask trick a shot. Clever.

Thanks Topher!

I forget where I heard the tip but It didn't come from me.

Very nice build. Ive always admire your work n thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

This build came out fantastic! Well done Casey!

Thanks Guys!

I was bored today and decided to make up some inner fenders. I used some .5mm styrene. I got away with just one bolt hole for mounting and 2 tabs that slot behind the chassis rails.

8TsPGly.jpg

here you can see the bit the tabs.

9IKjO4I.jpg

AyblUsU.jpg

these are made up of 2 pieces. The side pieces have a few tabs that are bent over 90 degrees so the top piece can be glued to them.

lwqYWYr.jpg

SSA8dsU.jpg

The pinched nerve in my foot has gotten better and I was able to get out back and do a bit of crawling last night.

Its doing pretty well so far. One thing that I'm very impressed by is the turning radius, for not having overdrive it sure pulls the front end around like it does have it. This is partly the Enduro axles and the gobs of caster I threw at it.

KgdF6dX.jpg

FBkw1JP.jpg

One thing that wasn't working out was the slot in the rock sliders that the body slots into. The body kept popping loose and getting hung up askew.

I also wasn't in love with the tire and foam combo, I'm going to vent them as they aren't vented yet.
In the mean time I'm stealing the set of Landmines I have set aside for an upcoming project. I've used some undersized CI foams for the Landmines, 4 1/4" foams for 4 3/4" tires which give a lot more room to crush the outer foams. Firms in the rear softs up front, the firms will roll over a little bit while the softs roll over a fair bit more but at least the inner foam keeps them from totally rolling over.

So I made a few revisions to the rock slider design making the slot for the body deeper and adding to the rear so it extended under the bed sides too.

q7nWS6D.jpg

p6xN4lL.jpg

1BGNhIW.jpg

jLrd7Na.jpg

Last edited:
Today I got Harvey out for a shakedown run in the woods.

It performed freaking outstanding! its possibly the best trail performance truck I have (not that its a trail truck thats just where I went). It managing to take one line that I've only cleared once in the past. It also tackled another hill that I've never even got farther than halfway up before, I was kind of shocked by that :shock:

I did gear up from a 10T to ta 12T since the woods always benefit from some decent wheelspeed. I'm using an older HH Crawlmaster motor and the brushes were pretty close to too short so I replaced those while I had the motor out.

I got a few pics while I was out but I was focused on driving. I though about filming a bit but I'm glad I didn't haul that gear out because there was a freaking Scottish band jamming in the woods (bagpipes and all)

ERynIZg.jpg

zobb4ss.jpg

CMdeAUR.jpg

I also ran into a few locals who are just getting into the hobby which was awesome. I hope to see them around the forums "thumbsup"

Last edited:
NICE! The new sliders are freakin' great.
As I was going thru your progress pics, the one thing that bugged me was the chassis sticking out after you made the cage... looks soooo good chopped.
Great rig, man!
"thumbsup"

Stunning build! I'm also a bit jealous of all of you that have a 3D printer, and the skills to use it. Bet it makes it a ton easier to fab stuff up and experiment with different setups.

Back