• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

UGC Viper and Straight Upper Links

eisman

Rock Crawler
These questions are aimed at those of you who are running the Viper chassis and VP upper link mounts front and rear. Has anyone had any luck using straight upper links? Did you inboard or outboard the links? Were there any issues with suspension binding or links hitting the chassis or motors? What eye to eye length were you using?

Yes, I did search, and I've read dozens of build threads... I just haven't found what I'm looking for. If someone is using this same setup, please chime in.

I use stock link mounts on the axles, which equals the lowest hole on the VP link mount I'm told. I run straight upper links in the rear, Traxxas Revo push rods to be exact. They are inboarded on the chassis. They hit the motor, but almost at full compression, so it does not bother me at all. I don't really need full compression as I need full articulation.

It also helps my motors are clocked low. I like the low CoG and have not noticed a spot where it has hindered me yet.

I am running the vanquish upper mounts, front and rear.
My uppers are AX10 aluminum bent lowers, shortened and using some stock axial end links.
They are outboarded, to clear the battery in the front and receiver in the back.
The down fall is they do contact the upper body and shock mounts at full compression. Since I don't hit full compression very often, I don't worry too much.
I have been thinking about some bent Ti uppers, and going in-board. This should let me clear the body, shocks, and battery issues I have right now.
My other option is to re-layout the rig and go with straight links.

once i finish my rebuild ill be using BWD high clearance upper and lower links all around and the stock link mount on the axles. i have seen this setup before with no binding issues

All the help has been great so far, Thanks "thumbsup"

I guess I should clarify my intentions a bit more though... I'm waiting on a few more parts to hit the maket before I start my build. I'm in no rush.

As of right now, my plan is to use T1e high clearance links for the rear lowers, CI Low clearance links for the front lowers, and the 30 deg axial bent links for uppers, and VP mounts front and rear. These are parts that I have at home, waiting for the build, as well as a bunch of Revo and Jato ends.

I just don't want to use the stock rod ends... I've been reading about so many failures, even when modded for 4mm hardware. I'm leaning towards just picking up some straight Lunsford links for uppers and using some Revo ends on them. Strong, simple and lightweight. I'm just concerned about fitting them up and running into all kinds of problems.

The 100mm length with Revo ends should work fine for the Viper with XR axles... front and rear... right?

I just don't want to use the stock rod ends... I've been reading about so many failures, even when modded for 4mm hardware.

Everyone always warned me about these failures but I never had one. Granted I'm only done to 4 stock rod ends left on the truck.

The reason 4mm rod ends doesn't make a difference is because its not the hardware that fails, but rather the loop stretches out and releases the ball or or just breaks the loop.

Everyone always warned me about these failures but I never had one. Granted I'm only done to 4 stock rod ends left on the truck.

The reason 4mm rod ends doesn't make a difference is because its not the hardware that fails, but rather the loop stretches out and releases the ball or or just breaks the loop.

I totally agree with you. I really want to minimize the stock rod ends when I build my rig... hopefully I'll use none.

I guess my 'toss-up' is between using the Axial bent links for uppers (trimming them, drilling them, and tapping them for 4mm) then finding some 4mm set screws (I have none at home right now) or picking up some straight links and giving them a try...

Hmmmmm... I think I need to go shopping :mrgreen:

Please confirm that the 100mm Lunsford link is the one to get. I'd rather avoid buying twice.

Thanks

I can't confirm that, sorry. Your best bet is to mock it up with some all thread, figure out the best shape and length link, then order your Ti. You can always bend Lunsford links to suit your truck.

These questions are aimed at those of you who are running the Viper chassis and VP upper link mounts front and rear. Has anyone had any luck using straight upper links? Did you inboard or outboard the links? Were there any issues with suspension binding or links hitting the chassis or motors? What eye to eye length were you using?

Yes, I did search, and I've read dozens of build threads... I just haven't found what I'm looking for. If someone is using this same setup, please chime in.

I am running the VP mounts with straight upper links with no problems. I have Crawler Inovations lower links.

I have 95mm links on the front with revo ends on the VP link end and RC4WD bent links on the chassis end and they are mounted on the outside of the chassis.

I have 105mm links on the rear using the same rod end set up.

I totally agree with you. I really want to minimize the stock rod ends when I build my rig... hopefully I'll use none.

I guess my 'toss-up' is between using the Axial bent links for uppers (trimming them, drilling them, and tapping them for 4mm) then finding some 4mm set screws (I have none at home right now) or picking up some straight links and giving them a try...

Hmmmmm... I think I need to go shopping :mrgreen:
Thanks

105mm w/revo end on one side and jato ends on the other"thumbsup"
Please confirm that the 100mm Lunsford link is the one to get. I'd rather avoid buying twice.

I am running the VP mounts with straight upper links with no problems. I have Crawler Inovations lower links.

I have 95mm links on the front with revo ends on the VP link end and RC4WD bent links on the chassis end and they are mounted on the outside of the chassis.

I have 105mm links on the rear using the same rod end set up.

105mm w/revo end on one side and jato ends on the other"thumbsup"

Awesome! Thanks for the wisdom guys "thumbsup"

Back