• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

TRX4M's - a camping story

OSRC

I wanna be Dave
New forum (thanks for all the hard work fellas, looks great!) and it's time for some new threads!

I am a latecomer to the mini world, I didn't realize the value here until we went camping last year and a few runs around the campsite changed my mind entirely. These little TRX4M's are PERFECT for camping. I fit four of them in my overhead bin and they took up less space than a single 1/10. Perfect for most campsites where there's not a lot to challenge the 1/10 trucks. With a smaller scale, every rut becomes a ravine, tree roots become insurmountable objects, and tiny little puddles become mud bogs.

I started out with 2 (OG thread), and picked up 2 more before we left. Couldn't decide on the High Trail or the monster, so I pickup up both. Really, I wanted a Blue HT but they are really hard to find, so I got a blue monster and a black HT hoping the bodies swap back and forth (they do)

Started with the Bronco which was my most capable. Low range gears, full bearings, Holmes power, and brass on the axles. My Defender is a little more scale and set up for towing and exploring. Full lights, Holmes power, standard gears, brass on the axles, hitch, trailer and weighted TRX beadlocks. The Fords were both stock.
20240611-132545-SM.jpg

Our campsite was right next to a rocky steep trail down to the river. Perfect site!! This steep trail would have gave my 1/10 trucks a workout, so I knew it was Mt. Everest for the minis. No worries, I had one goal - get from the bottom to the top.
20240611-151847-SM.jpg

Charged up some batteries and gave it a go. Started with the Bronco since it was the most capable. Drove fine, nice and stable, but couldn't get up the trail. It would just stop and spin - there's just not enough weight on the tires to get them to dig in. I did unearth several earthworms though. :) Used them for fishing later, so I had that going for me which is nice.
20240611-130121-SM.jpg

20240611-130229-SM.jpg

20240611-130325-SM.jpg

Spent most of the time at the top of the trail - it was rooted up nicely and gave me several lines to go down a certain way and come back up. Swapped over to the Defender and tried again. It was more stable than the bronco - those weighted wheels made a ton of difference, but also it was unable to dig in and couldn't make the rocks. Did great on the roots though!
20240611-130800-SM.jpg

20240611-130832-SM.jpg

After playing on the hill for a while, I hooked up the trailer and went around collecting "firewood." The Defender was in it's element here, had no trouble pulling the trailer around the various campsites and working my way back to our site with a few loads of wood was a ton of fun.
20240611-131444-SM.jpg

20240611-131636-SM.jpg

Then, I broke out the HT. This truck looks fantastic right out of the box by the way -got lots of comments on both from the various campers. Took it out on the steep trail and it did pretty decent for a stock truck. Fared about the same as the Bronco which kind of surprised me. Can tell for sure the bigger tires and stock gearing take a toll on torque, it took a lot more throttle to get where I wanted to go, but the extra clearance from the bigger tires and slightly longer WB seemed to give it an edge over the other two. Hmm...
20240611-132837-SM.jpg

20240611-132919-SM.jpg

Then I went bonkers and tried to crawl around with the monster. Surprisingly, it did well - no torque as expected, but huge, grippy tires and a lot more width kept it stable and it did a lot better than I expected. Hmm....again.
20240611-133610-SM.jpg

20240611-133613-SM.jpg

Then I just went around the campsites with the MT driving over anything I could find. Really impressed with the truck - it doesn't have a lot of speed or torque, but it got around very well. There was a great spot where there was a deep tire track and it immediately turned into a mini ramp. I could launch out of it and ride a wheely for a while. Had a blast really. No mud to be found though - that's next trip.
20240611-133907-SM.jpg

20240611-133913-SM.jpg

Last edited:
(continued)

So, I then did what any other red blooded RC addict would do - broke out the tools, cooked up some meat, had a few cold beers and tore down the trucks completely to swap some things around.

- Swapped over the axles and transmission from the Bronco to the High Trail. Low range gears, bearings and Holmes power plus the better clearance should equal a much better performer on the rocks I would think. Bronco went back to stock...except...

- Swapped the weighted wheels from the Defender back over to the Bronco, which now had stock axles. The Defender already had some brass on the axles and didn't really need it since it just pulls a trailer around - plus the Treal wheels looked much more at home on the Defender

Doesn't look like much, but after about 90 minutes of work things are much different under the hood.
20240611-151457-SM.jpg

The HT was MUCH improved. Wow, what a difference. Note that I am down in the rocks now... Very stable, tons of torque and now I could almost get up the hill. The stock tires - while they look aggressive - really aren't and still had trouble digging in.
20240611-152109-SM.jpg

Swapped over to some soft Injora tires I had on some beadlocks and now I'm dialed. Turns out the softer rubber and much more aggressive open tread is just what the doctor ordered - it was able to dig into the dirt much better and had much more grip on the rocks - easily conquered the hill! Rocks and all.
20240611-153103-SM.jpg

20240611-153124-SM.jpg

20240611-153310-SM.jpg

So mission accomplished, and I just played around a bit the rest of the trip.

Defender had no issues losing the weighted wheels and did just fine - went out and collected more firewood. :) Looks much better with the Treal wheels imo.
20240612-101744-SM.jpg

20240612-101906-SM.jpg

20240612-102047-SM.jpg

Swapped bodies between the HT and the MT so my daughter could go bash on it and she gave it a workout. :) Held up fine to many tumbles, flips, rolls and wheelies.
20240612-103020-SM.jpg

Bronco was just about as capable as before, just lost the low end torque from the gearing change. The weighted wheels really made a difference and it was just as planted as before. Plus the Methods look much better here than they do on the Defender. My other daughter gave it a pretty good workout too and it held up perfectly.
20240612-103313-SM.jpg

And finally, I put the MT body and stock wheels back on HT, though I added a wrap of lead fishing sinker stuff to the stock wheels and I freaking love it.
20240612-110240-SM.jpg

20240612-110318-SM.jpg

So what now? We're camping again in July and I plan to make some changes here and there.

Defender - stays as is, nothing planned. Maybe a few scale bits here and there, that rack looks awful empty up there.
MT - bearings and maybe a motor upgrade for now.
Bronco - goodbye! I have a Meus kit here and the Bronco is going to be the donor. Bearings and motor at minimum, though I'm sure I'll add something as I go.
HT - leaving it alone for now, drivetrain swap was a total success. Maybe a tire and wheel swap, though I love the look of the stock wheels.

The Traxxas minis look so awesome. I hesitate to call them micros because they're larger than typical micros.

Great pics. Still trying to find a good motor to go with the crawling gears in these things. The Holmes 66T is a bit too slow for my liking.

This is great, but now I want to go camping. Looks like it was a great time. Fishing, crawling and good food.

I have been wanting to pick up one of those Broncos for awhile now. I gotta get on that

Back