• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

tripsix

Rock Stacker
Yup, I'm finally to the point that i'm going to jump on the bandwagon and do a Wraith Build Thread. This is essentially my first crawler and yes its going to be setup as more of a crawler than a racer. As I'm new to this gig, I have made some mistakes in the processes, and try things that haven't always worked out. I end up going with what I like and how it works for the uses that I put it through here in AZ. Since its for the Desert it will not be water proof(yet, if ever)

It will also be picture heavy.

So as I begin adding everthing i've got over the next few days feel free to share comments and and questions...I can handle some constructive criticism as well...

Thanks for checking it out and enjoy

OK, so the rolling Chasis at this point is:
RC4WD 2.2 Hitman wheels
Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, mounted in reverse
Alumminum C-Hubs and Steering Knucles(Broke the stock C-Hub within 24hrs)
I flipped the Link Mounts on the Axles to lower the ride height a bit

To the side is my new electronics:
Castle Creations BEC - set at 6amps max
Integy 45t Crawling Motor
Tekin FX-R ESC
Savox SA 1230SG servo

Close up of Electronics

Here is the Transmission taken apart, I added:
Robinson Racing Diff Locker Gear
Robinson Racing Steel Idler Gear
48p 87 tooth Spur Gear
48p 13 tooth Pinion

Here is the Diff Locker difference, RRP is on the right
Sooooo BEEFY!

All Mounted and put back together:

Rear Shocks - I have a rustler so I tried taking the rear shocks from that and putting into my Wraith, much stiffer shockspring, heavier fluid...I took it out today and liked the difference, seemed like i was able to keep tires planted better. i'm going to try them in the front this week and see if i like them up front more. However they did lower my chasis height by quite a bit, not sure if i'll stick with them overall.

Stock:

Traxxas Rear Shock

One thing of note...the Traxxas Shocks do not leak like the axial stock shocks...

Anyone have suggestions for the shocks they like? Yes i know there is a whole thread on shocks...I'm wanting to eventually get the integy(w/2nd cylinder) or King shocks, but the overflow cylinder looks to be a mock one.

I also went back to the Ripsaw tires, no matter how i mounted the Baja's i felt like i didn't get the traction i should be.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and incase you didn't notice above. I have cut my roll cage down and used 2 Axial 108mm aluminum links with axial rod ends to complete the missing link

Looking good ! Stock shocks suk ,,,im running team associated rears ,,the traxxas shock should be good for a while ,,king shock s are nice but more show than go ,,do the drive shafts next the stock one s no so good i broke 2 already !! Lol!

Definitly planning on the PitBulls, i've got a couple other upgrades before I buy another set of tires, but they are on the list.

Took it out the other day for a drive. The aluminum steering kit i put together proved to be a bit much for the stock axles, the dog bone is popping out so i upgraded to the universal axle. The extra few degrees of travel should fix the problem. For a trail fix i was able to pop it back in for a bit, and adjusted the steering rate.

Heres some other pics from a local urban spot...

The axle poping out is normal for a wraith. Thats the main reason ppl switch to the aftermarket ones. Im getting another wraith tonight. It has stock axle shafts, so.... out they will come. LOL

J.

I'm getting the wifey a wraith kit, since i've stripped the electronics out of this one i will throw the old ones in hers. I think the kit comes with the universal axle and the aluminum lower links, wish it came with top links too, but oh well...

The Pitbulls have been awesome, i used some weights around the wheels too and together they made a huuuuge difference. I need to get some wider diameter wheels as they squeeze the tires in a bit too much for my liking. But once i get those i think my wheel/tire combo will be locked down.

Back