• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Traxxas 1/16 Summit hot racing diff upgrade?

This is for 1/10 scale summit. I don't know if many people can help you here, you may want to check ultimate rc, or traxxas forum.

Question though, why do you need a diff upgrade? I have beat the crap out of my mini revo, with 3s and haven't had any diff problems. It would probably help to get the center diff for my truck. Did you strip them, or damage them? Did you check the diffs for tolerance, or shim it at least? I haven't heard diff problems on these 1/16s.

Sounds like you need to shim your diffs. Preventing the diffs from stripping is shimming. Are you running a 540-550 can? Are you running a 1/10th esc? When those diffs are setup, you really shouldn't be able to damage them at all. Buying an 'upgrade' for this diff issue sounds fishy, like you diff teeth aren't meshing properly, or you are not keeping up on maintenance. Please advise on whether you have been through this process, as it is almost necessary.

How to: "Shim your Diff." (photo tutorial.) (Video added.) - Traxxas 1/16th - MERV, Summit, Rally, etc. @ URC Forums
https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?480362-Pictures-of-how-to-shim-a-diff
https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?8944262-Diff-shim-clarification

I have put like three or four shims. I only run 2s lipo and keep the slipper clutch loose and it helps but still they strip so easily

Have you broke the bulkheads yet? They are probably slop city.
https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?8920089-Setting-up-your-bulkhead
Honestly though, I don't know anyone with a 1/16th traxxas who has had that many issues with the diffs. Are you running a super heavy fluid in your diffs? I will have to again refer you to ultimate rc, or traxxas forums though, it seems you may have something else amiss, which probably won't get resolved here.

In the rear I have a integy aluminum bulkhead thats works the way it should . No problems with bulkheads. I use 5000 Wt diff fluid. a little bit of grease on the ring and pinion gear .

Those diffs work well, but you have to modify them a little. They don't have seals to hold silicone diff oil inside, so you have to use grease instead. Before assembling the diffs, you need to carefully sand-down the edges of the spider-gear holder and the two sides of the diff case, so they are as flat as possible. (400-grit emery paper from the paint section of an auto parts store works well.) That will allow those parts to have the tightest possible fit, to minimize grease leaking out from centrifugal force. Unfortunately, Hot Racing doesn't do this for you.

Unless you're running a Mini Summit with tons of power (in which case, you should just convert it to a MERV instead), you shouldn't need to upgrade the diffs at all, just shim the diffs to ensure a good mesh and use a good waterproof grease on the ring and pinion gears.

My 6th rear diff is starting to go out :( I have 3 shims for each diff and a aluminum rear bulk head. I really need a upgrade. I don't see why they strip cause I have the slipper clutch set loose and not running a big gear reduction.

My 6th rear diff is starting to go out :( I have 3 shims for each diff and a aluminum rear bulk head. I really need a upgrade. I don't see why they strip cause I have the slipper clutch set loose and not running a big gear reduction.
Now you have only gone through 6, up a few you said it was 7. There's something wrong if you are stripping these diff's. My guess is the integy aluminum. Buy the stock bulkhead and follow the guides on shimming you diff. You will likely solve your problems. Integy aluminum is known to strip out easy and bend easy as well. You outputs probably ovaled the bulkhead. Seeing as it is the only remaining thing that holding it all together.

Without seeing a video of how you drive the truck, it's impossible to troubleshoot further.

You *are* greasing the diff pinion and ring gears, right?

Back