• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Transmission Guru Needed. 3 Gear Trans Question.

JC3

Quarry Creeper
I'm looking for confirmation of my method of calculating my 3 gear transmission ratio and my final drive ratio.

Building my first 2.2 Sporty using Capra axles. Trying to pay close attention to gear ratios etc. Bought a compact three gear transmission with a ratio of 11.5:1. That ratio with the stock Capra axle ratio of 7.2:1 give me a final of ~80. I want to get down to ~50. I'd like to start doing that with pinion changes.

Transmission specs given to me (with 12T pinion) are: 48t locker gear to a 14t to a 40t spur.

With a 12T pinion, I calculated:

Gear ratio of 3.33:1 (40/12 = 3.33)
Transmission ratio of 3.43:1 (48/14 = 3.43)
Transmission final of 11.4:1 (3.33 x 3.43 = 11.4:1)

With a 20T pinion, I calculated:

Gear ratio of 2.00:1 (40/20 = 2)
Transmission ratio of 3.43:1 (48/14 = 3.43)
Transmission final of 6.86:1 (2.00 x 3.43 = 6.86)

Final Drive Ratio = (trans ratio) 6.86:1 x (axle ratio) 7.2:1 = 49.3

Still may end up with a smaller pinion due to space restrictions but I'm still closer than I was with at 12T pinion. Either way, just want to verify my thinking.

Any feedback appreciated.

Last edited:
Math seems to check out to me. Do you have enough adjustment to fit a 20t pinion?

Math seems to check out to me. Do you have enough adjustment to fit a 20t pinion?

Thank you for the confirmation. I think that 20T would be a problem.

I have recalculated my final drive which I'm now basing on an overdriven front axle. The plan was to do that all along once I got my calculations confirmed.

With the overdriven front axle, I need a trans ratio of 10.6:1 and I can get there with a 13T pinion, so I'm in great shape now.

I end up with a final drive ratio of 52.8:1 which is exactly what I was after.

Back