• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Trailer build, maybe a little much...

Lashlee

Quarry Creeper
Here is the result of some poking and prodding from a friend of mine. He's been on to me for the last three or four years to build a trailer. I finally had some free time and made my way to the steel supplier. It's built using 1/2" box tubing and expanded metal for the top. All of it is tig welded, and I used some Scale Metal Supplies gussets in a few places. I use my SCX6 to pull it. It's just over 68" x 11" wide, and the dovetail on the end allows my crawlers to climb on without the use of ramps. I used some Traxxas slash rear hubs, bearing and Traxxas trailer axles for the wheels. Crawler Innovations recommended some foams since the stock foams from a 10.3 was not happy with all of that weight on it. Let me know what you think!!

54022820553_c1f8cb2c44_b.jpg

54023033720_ff924c6917_b.jpg

54021688642_a4e5c5c445_h.jpg

54022923134_a2f58ba3ac_h.jpg

What about moving the axles forward to spread the weight over both trailer axles a lil more? The front wheel seem to have all the weight. Maybe a set of wheelie bar wheels at the rear to help with any possible dragging the dove tail?

You’re right, those tires did not like that at all on the trailer. Maybe scale wise adding a 3rd axle for such a long trailer. Makes me jealous.
Agreed. Scale wise the axles are too far back, and likely would also be a 3 axle for the length.

That said, Op for the first one you've done. Looks great so far!

Isn't there some rule of thumb about 1:1 trailer loading? I thought it was 2/3 of the weight in front of the axles but could be wrong.

Seems like it would apply here as well since the laws of physics scale pretty well.

So putting the axles about 2/3 of the way back from the front of the platform would seem about right.

Then when I'm wrong and your trailer starts swaying and goes into the death wobble, post the video and blame me.

Last edited:
Isn't there some rule of thumb about 1:1 trailer loading? I thought it was 2/3 of the weight in front of the axles but could be wrong.
60/ 40 rule... 60% of the payload/ cargo weight in front of the axle and 40% behind... forward most axle if tandem. Prevents the trailer from swaying at hwy speed so... not actually an issue in an RC application regarding safety.

But yeah... another axle would benefit the weight distribution on this trailer. Could also look into some stiffer foams at the very least.

Awesome looking trailer, OP... Really nice work.

Seems like it would apply here as well since the laws of physics scale pretty well.

So putting the axles about 2/3 of the way back from the front of the platform would seem about right.

Then when I'm wrong and your trailer starts swaying and goes into the death wobble, post the video and blame me.
100% agree with you bro and all, i can add is Watch the YouTube video and see
Plus moving the axle forward will help you from having to doing 12 point turns lol.

Full disclosure: almost all of the trailers I've pulled didn't have options how you loaded it. Pre-built motorcycle trailers and a couple of uhaul car trailers.

And I was being sarcastic about the trailer sway.

Though scale highway speeds (60mph) would be in the 6-10mph range depending on if your basing it on the scx6 or the 1:10 trucks. So not much right? 😜

Thanks guys!!!

I did try to set it up axles around the 2/3's span from the tongue so it would pull well, but I've only had a few days to play with it. Adding a third set of wheels would be pretty easy, and since then I've added some stiff foams so the tires squish is gone! With that being said, it pulls really well, though the SCX6 eats a 1300mah 4s pack in about 45 minutes of runtime.

I'll see if I can snap a few more pics.

Great looking trailer. Another axle might help the tire situation, and would be appropriate for a 3 car 1:1 trailer.

On the flip side you are carrying 3 cars and the weight of the trailer on tires (more specifically the foams) made to carry 1 car. Some high density single stage foams would help most imo whether you add another axle or not.

Cool. And I thought my wedge build at 48” was long, I ran 3 axles with short course wheels to overcome flat tires, works perfectly, with 20+ lbs worth of cars on it. AE SC 10, older ones with bearings to simplify life. What does you trailer weigh?

Back