• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Trail Finder 3 Gone!

MAGNUMB

Quarry Creeper
Was this model discontinued? Can't find them anywhere! A couple on flea bay for over $1000:(

I actually like this version, super fun to drive and works as well if not better the Marlin TF2. Seems like it handles the rocks better and doesn't get hung up as much.

According to the RPP site, it is discontinued. Question to you is, since you can get an RTR SCX10-3 for the same price, why would you (or anyone, for that matter) want the RC4WD?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

According to the RPP site, it is discontinued. Question to you is, since you can get an RTR SCX10-3 for the same price, why would you (or anyone, for that matter) want the RC4WD?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Because they are completely different rigs.

Also someone might already have every 10.3 they want, but would like something else too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TF2 is so much fun and challenging to build and tune. Better out of the box, absolutely not lol. I would love to see Axial drop a leafer some day though. They are a blast to drive.

I think the weight of the RC4WD rigs along with leafs and hard body are what draws me in. And once they are setup correctly they look great in motion and that old school bruiser type chassis on the TF3 is just cool to me. Yeah, they take more tinkering and well thought out tuning, but that's half of it more me. I have an SCX10-3 and like that one as well. Funny enough one of my favorite RTR chassis is the Carisma SCA-1E. They perform great when setup correctly and my local hobby shop has the Tacoma RTR for $279! Hard to beat that these days with the CVD driveline, Counter Rotation Trans and axles that just slide over rocks better than any other axle ive tried so far. They look a little chintzy comparted to others, but hold up well!

Last edited:
I think the weight of the RC4WD rigs along with leafs and hard body are what draws me in. And once they are setup correctly they look great in motion and that old school bruiser type chassis on the TF3 is just cool to me. Yeah, they take more tinkering and well thought out tuning, but that's half of it more me. I have an SCX10-3 and like that one as well. Funny enough one of my favorite RTR chassis is the Carisma SCA-1E. They perform great when setup correctly and my local hobby shop has the Tacoma RTR for $279! Hard to beat that these days with the CVD driveline, Counter Rotation Trans and axles that just slide over rocks better than any other axle ive tried so far. They look a little chintzy comparted to others, but hold up well!

Do you have any other straight axle rigs? The SCX10 III just isn't that good IMO.

The Charisma looks like an OG SCX10 with a centered transmission and basic layout so I do not see how it would perform that well.

I have a TrailFinder 2. It's OK for super scale. I get my leaf spring fix from my GMade Sawback.

Last edited:
If memory serves, I received an email from RC4Wd a while back saying the TF3 was going away, and I should by one soon.

The TF2 and TF3 are heartbreakers. The bodies rival Tamiya offering for their scale appearance, but half of the kit is pure junk. The bodies, frames, transmission, and transfer cases are awesome, their drive shafts and axles are cheap junk. To get the rig to perform at all requires at least $250 is new axles. I would readily accept this if the kit ran < $250. But, $400 for the standard Yota body, and $550+ for a fancier body, with the same junk running gear has turned me off on the platform.

Do you have any other straight axle rigs? The SCX10 III just isn't that good IMO.

The Charisma looks like an OG SCX10 with a centered transmission and basic layout so I do not see how it would perform that well.

I have a TrailFinder 2. It's OK for super scale. I get my leaf spring fix from my GMade Sawback.

I have the 3 GS02Fs, BRX01, 2 TF2, 1 TF3..looking for another, 3 Carisma SCA-1Es, Few of MST CFXs and a few MST CMXs, UGM10 6x6, Sendero SE, Linked Gatekeeper, 2 Roc Hobby 1/6 Willys jeeps, Bruiser, 2 GSpeed comp rigs...the only portal rig i have is the SCX10III....it came with straight axles and converted to Portal with a proline Sumo body. It performs well, but also dumped a bunch of time a money into it. Per dollar the carisma just outperforms them all....don't know why really. Was thinking maybe the built in flex in the chassis or really decent stock shocks or smooth pumpkins. Who knows but i have probably over 150 hours of run time in one of them!

If memory serves, I received an email from RC4Wd a while back saying the TF3 was going away, and I should by one soon.

The TF2 and TF3 are heartbreakers. The bodies rival Tamiya offering for their scale appearance, but half of the kit is pure junk. The bodies, frames, transmission, and transfer cases are awesome, their drive shafts and axles are cheap junk. To get the rig to perform at all requires at least $250 is new axles. I would readily accept this if the kit ran < $250. But, $400 for the standard Yota body, and $550+ for a fancier body, with the same junk running gear has turned me off on the platform.

Part of the beauty of the TF2 and TF3 is you have to treat them like real trucks. You can't beat on them like a raged lunatic on drugs:) haha
Yes, the axles need proper shimming and you can't slam on the gas and drive into a pile of rocks and just think that's normal for a scale rig. I take out my TRX-4, Element or Carisma for my drug fueled runs:)

To be fair their axles don't look that scale, and also, with the right shimming the Yota 2 axles have held up just fine over the years. Out of the box i would have destroyed them by now.

The Sawback is a now ancient truck. The axles were scale for their time. They are chunkier than the TF axles, but it’s plastic vs metal and I’d take the durability of the GMade axles over the quality of the RC4WD any day.

The Sawback is a now ancient truck. The axles were scale for their time. They are chunkier than the TF axles, but it’s plastic vs metal and I’d take the durability of the GMade axles over the quality of the RC4WD any day.

I hear ya...that Sawback was really cool for the day and like Gmade stuff in general. Just wish they made better ring and pinion for the GS02F. Junk pot metal and don'f offer any upgrade, but i've made do with setting the slipper though. Snapped 2 of them

I hear ya...that Sawback was really cool for the day and like Gmade stuff in general. Just wish they made better ring and pinion for the GS02F. Junk pot metal and don'f offer any upgrade, but i've made do with setting the slipper though. Snapped 2 of them

True about the gears and lack of upgrades. I’ve never broken one, but I know you’re not alone. It’s a shame the Sawback never got much aftermarket support. Would be awesome if GMade released an updated leaf spring platform.

Part of the beauty of the TF2 and TF3 is you have to treat them like real trucks. You can't beat on them like a raged lunatic on drugs:) haha
Yes, the axles need proper shimming and you can't slam on the gas and drive into a pile of rocks and just think that's normal for a scale rig. I take out my TRX-4, Element or Carisma for my drug fueled runs:)

100% agree. But, they did not even pass that test. I had a back drive line snap and a front CVD snap the first drive out my third (and last) TF2 while driving it on gravel during its first run.

100% agree. But, they did not even pass that test. I had a back drive line snap and a front CVD snap the first drive out my third (and last) TF2 while driving it on gravel during its first run.

That's sad....i'd give up on them as well. We've been lucky in our group. Quality Control is not their strong suit.

Last edited:
Back