• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thinking about flying FPV (Double Duty TX?)

nathanotis

Pebble Pounder
Hey all.

As the subject states, I've been thinking about getting into FPV drones. It seems obvious but I wanna check my thinking - My question is: could one use the same twin-stick transmitter for crawling and flying?

I realize the radio doesn't care, and the receiver doesn't care if it's in the air or on the ground...

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Air transmitters do not have a return spring in the throttle. That would be the biggest issue I can think of off the top of my head.

Air transmitters do not have a return spring in the throttle. That would be the biggest issue I can think of off the top of my head.

The Spektrum DX6e has a switch in the back that takes the left stick from vertical center spring return to no spring return.

With that, no, the radio does not care, and it isn't like in the olden days where you had specific frequencies used for ground and specific frequencies used for air.

The only other thing I can think of here is check the FAA guidance on drones to if you'll need a license. If memory serves, the main two factors are size and if it is used commercially.

It's true the radios don't care but I think it's a bad idea. Air and surface radios are different as they serve different purposes. Best to have both to do both.

It's highly recommended to get edjamucated about drones and FPV before jumping in. Flight certification is only for commercial purposes but the FAA does require sUAS registration and there are a ton of rules about how and where you can fly, especially if you engage in FPV flying. Best to know before you go.

There's a lot of great RTF (Ready to Fly) kits out there under $300. FAA requires registration for drones over 250 grams. The RTF kits usually offer smaller whoop style that are around 32 - 60 grams. Just don't in crowded areas, national parks, or near airports and you should be fine.

Back