• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

The Shop Build

Hoosierdady

Fan of wheelspeed
I decided I needed a place to shoot pics for my body work and my for sale threads. Now Im no where near the level that some of these guys are on when it comes to buildings and what not. But heres my attempt at it. Hope you enjoy."thumbsup"

Every good shop needs a floor jack. I built this out of styrene and shrink wrap.
DSCF3480.jpg

complete with castors and a foot pedal.
DSCF3481.jpg

I needed a work bench, so I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up a few things. I also started on the entry door.
DSCF3482.jpg

A little glue and I had a workbench.
DSCF3483.jpg

But I cant stand up and mess up, I mean fix the bodies. I needed a hobby bench.
DSCF3484.jpg

I picked up these scale glass jars, and out some small pieces of wire, zip ties and solder in them for looks.
DSCF3485.jpg

Shes starting to come together. A few more scale stuff here and there to complete to look.
DSCF3486.jpg

The door is done, and the shop needs a mascot. So I brought in "Chopper" to supervise the hoodlums working here. I also made a hook on the wall and a airhose with a brass fitting on the end.
DSCF3488.jpg

And here is how it sets as of now. Ive got a cast, scale toolbox coming for it. Other plans include a welder, air compressor and a cherry picker. Im sure other ideas will come up here and there too. So what do you guys think?
DSCF3487.jpg

DSCF3490.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
gotta love these shop builds. keep up the good work"thumbsup"
Thanks

Cool, looks like something you would find on garage journal.
Thanks. Im going for the old Hot Rod theme. I may do the chairail down in bright red, not sure yet on the walls.

looks good "thumbsup"
Thank you "thumbsup"

I started working on a welder, welding helmet and a angle grinder.
DSCF3492.jpg

The welder has a cart with a shelf for the helmet and a holster type loop for the welding wand itself.
DSCF3493.jpg

Cooling vents on the back
DSCF3494.jpg

Never been a diorama/garage builder, but I can sure appreciate the time and efforts you guys put into these things. Great work and keep the progress coming!

thanks guys. BTW, the front legs on the welder cart are bent outwards on purpose. Just thought Id throw that out there, lol.

I wish I had the room to build something like this. I too could use a good backdrop for photos and "for sale" items, but I think my girlfriend would leave me if she came down to the basement, and saw me building something like this :mrgreen:

Nice job so far...looking forward to seeing more "thumbsup"

Thanks CHUD.

This takes up roughly 3.5 ft by 2 ft. It has a relatively small footprint. I needed to keep it compact due to lack of space. But the big pay off is the profesional look you get in the pics taken. Plus its a nice break from trying to scale out a truck. Its alot easier to find/make items for a garage.

Ive been working on a welding helmet and welder.
DSCF3502.jpg

DSCF3503.jpg

I got my tool box in too. It has two opening drawers, real castors and is very 1:1 IMO.
DSCF3501.jpg

My welder and cart are almost done. Ive just got to make the leads.

Shouldn't your welder be a Miller? I thought all Lincoln's were Red and Miller's were blue

Shouldn't your welder be a Miller? I thought all Lincoln's were Red and Miller's were blue

Nope, my welder is a blue Lincoln, lol. Nah, On this type of stuff, I just have fun with it. Im not trying to perfectly recreate a 1:1 welder, floor jack, etc. I get a notion to make a welder from scratch and I build it how I want it to look. I dont research different types or anything. I definately could, dont get me wrong. If I had a customer ask for a certain look, welder, jack or what ever, I can pull it off "thumbsup" But for little stuff like this that I make out of scraps for my "shop", Im not that picky.

Good stuff. The photos look great and makes a perfect backdrop for your JK build thread.

How about a scale laptop/desktop with a monitor screenshot of the RCC website showing the shop!

Good stuff. The photos look great and makes a perfect backdrop for your JK build thread.

How about a scale laptop/desktop with a monitor screenshot of the RCC website showing the shop!

Hmmm, I can do that. Great idea."thumbsup"

Hey - just thinking out loud last night - living vicariously thru your project. But it would be cool to have a big flatscreen monitor hanging on the wall with interchangable screenshots.

Seriously, I need to get off my ass and build my own shop like this. You've got me thinking. :mrgreen:

Hey - just thinking out loud last night - living vicariously thru your project. But it would be cool to have a big flatscreen monitor hanging on the wall with interchangable screenshots.

Seriously, I need to get off my ass and build my own shop like this. You've got me thinking. :mrgreen:

One step ahead of you, well sort of. Im bidding on a 1.5" LCD digital photo keychain. If it goes for a reasonable amount, Ill cut the chain off, make it look like a flat screen adn hang it on the wall with pics of my builds and a RCC screen shot too.

"thumbsup" Looking great!

Out of curiosity - what type of adhesive do you use with the smaller styrene like on your welder? I use ambroid and it seems to aggressive with smaller bits - but that could just be me not knowing how to use it right on the smaller stuff - still learning lots on this. :)
Thanks!

Back