• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

The Inside of the New RC4WD 2spd Trans

Jeepfixer1

Rock Crawler
I got my new RC4WD trans in and I have to say its sweet. One thing that bothered me is it felt like it needed more grease! So I wanted to see how they went about the 2 speed shifting mechanism and how tough it was made too. I know the rest of you guys that didn't want to take yours apart would at least like to see inside it! Well here you go!

This is inside the front part. These teeth make up high gear.
16513350373e2afabc2fd3a32dc68320.jpg

Here is another front part shot. You can also see the inside of the front housing to the left.
63d9942483098f73d3995ce5c3e40895.jpg

Here is the mid case with the counter shaft on the left and the rear case with the shift fork and high and low final gears on the right!
6118a41c18a211b9051f9132cf3ebcc4.jpg

Here is another pic of the final drive. The shaft at its closest part to you is where the front driveshaft will go on.
6b8f18fc2d14a169d2cdd654d9fad3fc.jpg

Here is one last shot of the final drive. In this one you can see the teeth that actually engage into the front/high gear. It is in low/the rear gear in the pic.
e744363bf0513b64cb0710d4ac191a84.jpg

Hope you enjoyed! :mrgreen:

If I get one these trans... first things to replace is the bearings.

Is the output shafts one piece ?

Just how I'am. :ror:

I like to see this trans in your truck... would have to be so much fun!

I thought you were implying that there was a problem with the bearings used by RC4WD :mrgreen:

You know, I was thinking about it but I think dig would be more useful. Im happy with the speed and crawlability with the pro4..

Looks nice do you think it could handle the pro4?
I'm not sure, I'm gonna run the 13.5 cause I am running it now.
If I get one these trans... first things to replace is the bearings.
yep I thought rubber sealed ones would be good, it has metal guarded now but not sure how well they seal
Is the output shafts one piece ?
I don't think they can be because the gear it's not in has to be able to free wheel.
How come?
cause that's how he is! :lmao:
Just how I'am. :ror:
Just how you are!
I like to see this trans in your truck... would have to be so much fun!
Im not sure about your truck but I hope it's fun in mine
Because the bearings that RC4WD uses are terrible.
I hope they hold up for now!
I thought you were implying that there was a problem with the bearings used by RC4WD :mrgreen:

You know, I was thinking about it but I think dig would be more useful. Im happy with the speed and crawlability with the pro4..
pro 4 is a badass but low gear when your bound up in the rocks is badass too!
Not surprised but Iv'e never heard that :)
me either
"Thanks for showing me yours"

Now I see why the play, when shifting from one gear to the other.

Your welcome, I think the play isn't gonna hurt anything. Probably necessary for easy gear engagement .

It appears very similar in function to the way a Summit 2spd works. The Summit is all plastic and handles abuse. I bet this will handle a Pro 4.

Nice... I likey... so call me a noob or whatever but besides the trans what actually do I need to mount this awesome piece of equipment ? Can I use my stock RTR radio or do I need to switch to my cheap ass (Yes go ahead and laugh) Airtronics radio?

The output shaft is one piece. The final gears sit on bearings on the output shaft. The slots in the gears allow shifting on the throttle but do have the side effect of a little play (1/3 rotation on the first turn of the spur) before the output turns.

This design actually contains less gears than the Summit trans.

Last edited:
Nice... I likey... so call me a noob or whatever but besides the trans what actually do I need to mount this awesome piece of equipment ? Can I use my stock RTR radio or do I need to switch to my cheap ass (Yes go ahead and laugh) Airtronics radio?

If it were me, i would get at least a 3ch radio Prefer 4ch (you will always find more stuff to run off your remote. RC4WD makes a really nice one for an awesome price. Also the ones on flea bay out of a traxxas summit would be a good choice. Plus you will need a servo and preferably a small servo saver like i have posted below here to keep your servo from struggling.

It appears very similar in function to the way a Summit 2spd works. The Summit is all plastic and handles abuse. I bet this will handle a Pro 4.

i think it will too, looks very well made. i am impressed. I personally think RC4WD built a great product for a great price!!!
First hand account...or just an opinion...????
They look good to me. they are metal shielded. typically i see most people (like fast eddy) using rubber sealed bearings. i dont know but im sure someone on here does. Do metal shielded beaings seal as well as rubber sealed bearings?
The output shaft is one piece. The final gears sit on bearings on the output shaft. The slots in the gears allow shifting on the throttle but do have the side effect of a little play (1/3 rotation on the first turn of the spur) before the output turns.

This design actually contains less gears than the Summit trans.

Soory Katan, i didnt want to misrepresent. I meant the gears are not made to the output shaft , they cant be by design. doesnt matter though, it is very well made and should hold up! I hope you dont mind me showing your insides, I know most people like to see how it works and the size of the metal gears.
Well done bud, I think everyone will be pleased with theirs.

Last edited:
If you are having servo issues with no EPA adjustment on your remote, all you need is a light pressure type servo saver. This is what Traxxas uses to shift the transmission on the t maxx or working the locking axle servos!
Either one of these can be had for really cheap and with free shipping off eBay. Just enter these part numbers and live worry free with your shifting servo.
Ps your Lhs prob has these or on the lower one you could also use nitro fuel tubing instead of springs! Let me know what you think!

Traxxas 3988x
d58bd1095335560a4be6ba803aef5243.jpg

Traxxas 4968
3a5c8e5610736d15f95e1374d9c2210d.jpg

Soory Katan, i didnt want to misrepresent. I meant the gears are not made to the output shaft , they cant be by design. doesnt matter though, it is very well made and should hold up! I hope you dont mind me showing your insides, I know most people like to see how it works and the size of the metal gears.
Well done bud, I think everyone will be pleased with theirs.

Thanks. Don't mind at all "thumbsup"

They look good to me. they are metal shielded. typically i see most people (like fast eddy) using rubber sealed bearings. i dont know but im sure someone on here does. Do metal shielded beaings seal as well as rubber sealed bearings?

Metal shielded bearings are typically more free spinning than rubber shielded. But do not seal as well as rubber. Metal shielded both sides are fine for use inside cases (trans, axle cases) rubber shielded are meant for external uses that will see the elements. Then there are rubber/metal hybrids which are nice for uses that one side will see the elements while the other side is inside a case "thumbsup"

Thaks meatwad, that's kinda what I was thinking. All the bearings are metal shielded in this trans and I like the water! I think I'm up for some bearing mods down the road. "thumbsup"

Back