• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

The HPI Project

OSRC

I wanna be Dave
A while ago (was it really 2 years ago??) I posted this in the Cmaxx thread... wondering if I should build an HPI based IS crawler. I started bending the chassis to give it a raised center and ended up snapping it in 1/2. Well hell, that was the end of that.
20221117-112051.jpg

Nothing really goes away in the OSRC shop, it just goes on the shelf to maybe rise another day. Well, today's the day! Sort of. I had in mind some kind of funky rock buggy and turns out by flipping the rear arms the wheelbase was pretty close to the stock MT chassis length. So I did some mixing and matching and ended up with this. With the stock chassis, it'll be a belly dragger but that's ok. CG will be pretty low, so it's a good tradeoff. Stock chassis isn't ideal, but I'm out of metal and it's what I've got. Cut down the shock towers and played around a bit to get the shocks to lay down. I get as much travel as the arms will allow, and the springs are hard enough to keep it all supported.
20240728-104808-SM.jpg

Mocking up some parts at the moment, though the R2 trans is going to stay - I need the clearance. I hate the long shaft output, but the short shaft conversion is long out of stock. I might have one here somewhere, I have a vague recollection of buying one... I think it's here somewhere. Or I'll just eventually cut down the long shaft - it'll work as is for now. Tamiya M06 dogbone out back and a long associated up front fit perfectly. Gear cases are filled with Axial OD gears up front and stock out back both with Axial lockers.
20240728-104755-SM.jpg

Like the Telly and Pede crawlers, this chassis gives lots of options. 3 different widths and 2 different chassis lengths with 4 WB options.. OR unlimited really as making a new one isn't too difficult (unless you try to bend it!!)
20240728-104827-SM.jpg

Got the trans and servo mounted, and a body cut up and fitted. I like the idea of a rock buggy (just for something different) and this old Parma body has been here for ages. Had to cut off the nose, but it tucks down nicely. With the wide MT arms, 2.2's are the only thing that looks right. I set the body on the other chassis and with the super nitro arms and 1.9's it looks pretty good too. It's good to have options! I had to move the trans back a little further than I would like to tuck under the body, but it's definitely got a front weight bias as is. I think it's off to a good start.
20240729-191345-SM.jpg

20240729-191351-SM.jpg

20240729-191412-SM.jpg

Back