• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

the do and don't of fabrication

Would you recommend upgrading or just buy a better kit?

• never upgrade. just repair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • only upgrade if you break things

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • upgrade in anticipation of failure

• spend the money and buy a better kit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JimmyShively

New to this internet forum stuff so I might not post in the right location but here it goes.
I've had real nice 4x4 rc trucks back in the late 80's but a lot has changed. First thing I noticed is the body is very flimsy unlike the 80's bodies. The suspension has came a long way. I'm in the process of building roll cages, running board tube steps and servo protective bumpers. I tried to solder some welding rods together to make the bumpers but couldn't get the solder to hold. I've moved on to JB Weld. I will try to attach a picture of the incomplete rear bumper setup. Any help as far as cutting up the lexan body or ideas that work better than JB Weld would be helpful. Also where do I go to find out if there is a close crawling competition to me?
Redcat Everest 10
Redcat Everest 16
Redcat Ground Pounder MT

try using round stock or small tube instead of the welding rod, what are you using to melt the solder? A jewelers torch is ideal for that method. If you have the resources and the desire tig welding is kind of the ultimate solution.

JB weld is good enough if it suits your needs and you are happy with it. Avery good resource for learning and seeing technique for these things is youtube this guy and many others have very good videos that will teach you a thing or two https://www.youtube.com/user/HarleyDesignsInc

as far cutting the lexan body the best way is to score the lines on the outside with an xacto blade and then pop the body out of the scrap. The key to that is to only go over your lines once to get a smooth cut

for comps, some get posted on this website but most people use facebook groups these days.

good luck and have fun!

Most tubular stuff I build is with 3/16 cold-rolled. It's easy to come by at most farm and hardware stores. I know a lot of people braze the tubing and lighter stuff, but nothing beats a good old mig/tig weld for that stuff in my opinion... As far as bodies go, most companies use lexan nowadays, but there are quite a few abs hard bodies out there to choose from.

Back