• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Tekin 500kv Roc 412 HD Please help haha

botlebruiser

Ok, so i'm building my first crawler. I've completely torn down and scx10 II, carbon fiber rails and upper links, custom lower center of gravity skid, Icon shocks for now, Mamba Max Pro etc. Its turing into a nice rig, at least in my opinion which doesn't hold much weight yet.

So 500kv brushless motor? They are selling out and I'm curious what the advantage is. Either I'm missing something or I'm more confused than I thought. I was considering a holmes hobbies puller pro or a castle to keep the budget reasonable. So whats the advantage here and of course disadvantages.

If someone could please explain that would be awesome. I'm really indecisive and I was about to order Tekins 3100kv roc 412 HD, "Element Proof" finally. Then I saw the 500kv. So please help

Going out on a limb here... and assuming you are still making a relatively scale-appearing SCX10II and not a "moon buggy" for crawling at a fraction of a mile per hour...

--- Don't get the 500kv! ---

Quick & dirty explanation: Lower kv rating = lower top speed when using same voltage and gearing.

Popular saying around here: Volt up, gear down...

Get a 3100kv like you planned, run it on 3S LiPo and then gear it down to keep it controllable on the top end.

Watch your temps as well.

The Tekin 3100kv is extremely popular.

Generally speaking, most SCX10s, Wraiths, and Bombers run motors between 2100kv and 3500kv and 3S.

There's always exceptions, especially if you plan on doing something very different with your vehicle.

However, having the kv rating and voltage fairly high and then gearing it fairly low will give you control at the low end and also allow for some additional wheelspin to get out of a bind.

Enjoy.

Going out on a limb here... and assuming you are still making a relatively scale-appearing SCX10II and not a "moon buggy" for crawling at a fraction of a mile per hour...

--- Don't get the 500kv! ---

Quick & dirty explanation: Lower kv rating = lower top speed when using same voltage and gearing.

Popular saying around here: Volt up, gear down...

Get a 3100kv like you planned, run it on 3S LiPo and then gear it down to keep it controllable on the top end.

Watch your temps as well.

The Tekin 3100kv is extremely popular.

Generally speaking, most SCX10s, Wraiths, and Bombers run motors between 2100kv and 3500kv and 3S.

There's always exceptions, especially if you plan on doing something very different with your vehicle.

However, having the kv rating and voltage fairly high and then gearing it fairly low will give you control at the low end and also allow for some additional wheelspin to get out of a bind.

Enjoy.

thx for the info durok!
I understand that a spot of kv 2100 to 3500kv at 3s gives you the chance to do more things than just crawl. But I have a widened bomber with 2.2 that I just use for strictly rock crawl. Currently with a brushed 55t.
I was thinking of getting the max torque at crawl speeds and thougth the 412HD 500kv at 4S (or may be 1200-1800-2300kv, basically all the 4S capable 412HD).
So, going 4S and just crawl with my "moon buggy" , what could the the sweetest spot?

1200-1400kv is probably the slowest you'd want to go. Hell i didn't like the speed of a 2280kv on 3s, so I bumped it to 4s.

none of 412HD shows as 6S capable, which one are you using?

The 412HD 1200kv - when I spoke to Tekin, they recommended 6S to match the recommended stock wheel speed. Haven't had any issues yet. I'm going to run the 412HD 1900kv in my TRX-4 Defender as well.

The 412HD 1200kv - when I spoke to Tekin, they recommended 6S to match the recommended stock wheel speed. Haven't had any issues yet. I'm going to run the 412HD 1900kv in my TRX-4 Defender as well.

Right, 1200kv * 6s * 4.2v = 30,240rpm MAX at full throttle at full voltage. 50K rpm is the likely limit so not even close.

that's interesting, with that 1200kv 6s on your two speed, is on the high one fast enough to trail? what leads you to go and try 1900kv too?

Wattage is what really limits the motor (heat). They list 4S for the 2300kv too so wouldn't be surprised if it could take 8S & higher.

Below is a fair-sized sensorless 950kv outrunner (3542) moving like molasses with zero detectable cogging on 3S. The only benefit of going low-KV sensored is you could over-gear it w/o cogging, but that's really pointless if a higher KV sensored motor is available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QvueKZWCm8&t=109s

Back