• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Tamiya CC02!

Isn't that Tamiya in a nutshell though? :lmao:

True dat. Tamiya always marches to their own drummer and this seems like a truck aimed at their superfans. Not that there's anything wrong with being a Tamiya superfan. But I see a lot of plastic and phillips heads on this thing so I don't know why an average Joe would choose this over what MST has had on the market for years already.

I'll be getting one... Just cause I'm a Tamiya guy at heart. Never expected a "pro level" crawler from Tamiya, that's not how they operate. (Though they do make pretty good pro touring cars) I was hoping for an improved CC01 with IFS and some tweaks to the basic design, got to say I'm a little disappointed.

It'll be next to my various CC01's and 2 MST's. Got all the bases covered.

you mean 6. I always hoped they would fix the brick and keep the ifs.

7 lol :)

It’s just way more complicated than it needs to be.

Standard Tamiya. :ror:"thumbsup"

True dat. Tamiya always marches to their own drummer and this seems like a truck aimed at their superfans. Not that there's anything wrong with being a Tamiya superfan. But I see a lot of plastic and phillips heads on this thing so I don't know why an average Joe would choose this over what MST has had on the market for years already.

X2 :cry:

I'll be getting one... Just cause I'm a Tamiya guy at heart. Never expected a "pro level" crawler from Tamiya, that's not how they operate. (Though they do make pretty good pro touring cars) I was hoping for an improved CC01 with IFS and some tweaks to the basic design, got to say I'm a little disappointed.

Sweet, build thread and review to come!?!?!? "thumbsup" Lower axle mounts and suspension links remind me of LandCruiser FJ80.

Last edited:
I am surprised it’s all new. I was fully expecting the same old cc01 chassis with portals from the 6x6 slapped on (though I suppose they would not work with the solid rear axle). I have an MST CMX already and I have no doubt it is better than this will be.

That said of course, I will most likely buy one, I even like the body. I have wanted a decent g-wagen for a while, but the TRX-4 one looks ridiculous and the old soft top CC01 shell doesn’t appeal either. Knowing Tamiya prices, I may as well buy the whole kit as I bet the body set will cost half as much as the kit anyway.

The CFX, with all the plastic links and such, always felt like something Tamiya could have made, so I half-expected something like that to be the CC-02, especially because MST gets its bodies mainly from Tamiya. It’s exactly why I love the CFX.

Well.. idiosyncratic as ever, Tamiya came up with their own twist on the trailtruck-concept. I really like it, in a “I-have-a-weakness-for-all-plastic-Tamiya’s” kinda way. Will it blow everything out of the water at an Axial-fest? Ehh.. not really, no. You’ll probably get some emphatic looks and some snickering behind your back. Ah, well, as a Tamiya fan I’m used to that... :lmao:

Looking at it, though, I wouldn’t be too surprised if there’s a portal-equipped Tamiya CC-02 Unimog on the shelves by the end of this year. There’s a thought behind Tamiya’s habit of making part-bin models with stuff that fits on a wide range of their models. And after that about èvery CC-01 body will be re-released on this chassis.

Axles look a bit like compressed CR-01 axles, I’d say. And the heavily trussed plastic arms are só lovely weird Tamiya. Heh, They can make an ordinary solid-axle car look like some Anime space-mobile... Even the ginormous gearbox is só Tamiya. Gotta love those Japanese odd-balls..

A bunch of wheelbase options seem to be on the books too, looking at the shocktowers’ position and the left-over holes on the chassis-rail. Nice. Maybe we’ll see a ‘next-gen’ Blackfoot monster on this chassis. When it’s available, it’s the first thing I’m going to try...

Hmm. Streetprice around €220.- Not too bad.

Last edited:
Love the G-wagon body!
But the chassis doesn't look like it improves anything over the MXT CFX/CMX.
Just for that reason I'm in the 'should have been IFS' camp.

I think we might look at this CC-02 the wrong way. This is not meant to be a crawler or a scaler in the sence of a Axial SCX10/SCX10 II, Traxxas TRX-4, Redcat Gen7/Gen8, Element RC Enduro, MST CFX/CMX/CFX-W etcetera. This is a improved version of the CC-01. So first let's have a look at that CC. Which stands for Cross Country. Looked it up on Google:

What is a cross country car?
A cross country car is simply a jumped up version of a regular car. Take a normal car. Add body cladding. Increase ground clearance. Add a pretentious badge and you're good to go.

I think what we kinda aspect is a chassis that is at least capable of doing what a MST CFX / CMX / CFX-W can do. But Tamiya already has a chassis for that, the CR-01. It is not the best if you compare it to what is currently out there (it is outdated), but he, the do offer one.

I think we need to look at the CC-02 as a improved version of the CC-01, and it is simply a car that can go offroad, but is not meant to go rock climbing. It is like what Volvo and some others do with their Cross Country versions. They look a bit thougher, have more ground clearance, might have 4x4 drive, but that is it. So the CC-02 is more a scale looking car with some offroad capabilities, but not a 4x4 in the sence of what we expect. More in the field of rally ofroading.

What Tamiya needs to do is have a look at MST and other brands, what the market is asking for, make it scale and make a CR-02.

That's just the way I look at it. I might be wrong. I think I will add it to my collection, just because it has been a while that I bought a Tamiya and I think it is one of the best attemps of the G-Wagon body. But I am only gonna think of it as a car that can do off roading to some degree.

Last edited:
I think we might look at this CC-02 the wrong way. This is not meant to be a crawler or a scaler in the sence of a Axial SCX10/SCX10 II, Traxxas TRX-4, Redcat Gen7/Gen8, Element RC Enduro, MST CFX/CMX/CFX-W etcetera. This is a improved version of the CC-01. So first let's have a look at that CC. Which stands for Cross Country. Looked it up on Google:

I think this video is good idea of a "CC" vehicle:

<iframe width="1195" height="672" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4WjpzubCoBo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So the CC-02 is more a scale looking car with some offroad capabilities, but not a 4x4 in the sence of what we expect. More in the field of rally ofroading.

....and then they put a hardcore offroader body on it lol

I understand what you're saying though, just though it was funny.

Last edited:
....and then they put a hardcore offroader body on it lol

I understand what you're saying though, just though it was funny.

Ah, well. Tamiya has been doing that for a looong time. The first F150 wasn’t even 4x4, just a Sand Scorcher with a different body. Years later they put hardcore desert racing bodies on a souped-up TA-01. Good luck getting that one turning at speed without going all tumbleweed. :lmao:

All in all, I probably get a CC-02 ( but not with the Mercedes body. It’s one of the ugliest, boxiest bodies I’ve ever seen from a major manufacturer. Just not my thing,so to speak.) becàuse it’s quirky, and doesn’t actually excel in ànything. If the axles are strong and of a good quality, who knows what ingenious builders come-up with....

Last edited:
More details, lots of photos:

Tamiya | New CC-02 1/10 Mercedes-Benz G 500 4×4 Chassis @Coming Soon #58675 – Team rcMart Blog

blog-cover-Tamiya-New-CC-02-1-10-Mercedes-Benz-G-500-4%C3%974-Chassis-@Coming-Soon-58675.jpg

Chassis by itself:

Tamiya-CC-02-chassis.jpg

Back