• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Successful Flat (Matte) Black Finish on Jeeps

Captain Ron

Just needed to share a successful (economical) flat black finish on our Jeep Rubicons. After looking at REAL Jeeps, it became apparent to me that what need to be done was: paint the inside (black) and sandblast the outside. This could NOT have turned out better; looks like the REAL thing! As I mentioned I purchased a "touch-up" sandblaster from Harbor Freight ($8) and a jar of Glass Beads (media) ($6) - which was enough to do both Jeeps. Masked off the (gloss) painted areas of the Jeep (rubber sandblast mask) and blasted the top, fenders & bumpers - leaving the tough Lexan matte. Thus it can be beat up a bit with no worries of paint scratchige. The finished projects can be seen here.

This is fun!!!

Attachments

• Jeep1.jpg
    Jeep1.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 778
  • Jeep2.jpg
    Jeep2.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 836
  • Jeep3.jpg
    Jeep3.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 943
Wingnut, I thought about the "airbrush" eraser also; I'm glad I did NOT pick that one. The key was to keep the pressure at 90lbs + or the blasting did NOTHING to the Lexan. I don't think you'd get the same results with the eraser (airbrush) - it uses a fine powder. However, I've not tried it; just sayin'.

Back