• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Steering Servo Wire Problem

Sickles420

Newbie here "thumbsup" This is my RTR Bomber. So I bought a waterproof servo so I can run it really good on water and mud as well. Upon installation, I came across this problem. The wire is too short and I wanted to route the wire through the silicone gasket inside the waterproof receiver box. What should I do to fix this?

K8IOFaCh.jpg

Last edited:
Just keep pulling on the wire until you hear a "snap" sound. You'll have plenty of slack after that.

I ran into this exact same issue while building up my SCX10ii. A wire extension will work, but that leaves you with another connection that needs to be sealed to waterproof it. Or, you can also get a 300mm servo wire and replace the existing one. Yes, it's more work than just plugging in an extension, but you maintain a simple waterproof connection. The servo wire comes complete with connector installed and ends stripped & tinned. Carefully open the servo case, remove the "guts," and unsolder old/resolder new wire. (Don't forget to feed the new wire through the servo casing BEFORE you solder it to the board, like i did. D-oh!) Reassemble. Reinstall. Run it!!

Aside from my goof of forgetting to run the wire through the case, it was a fairly simple job, and works perfectly!

Edit: 300mm servo wire:https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SPMSP3004

Last edited:
While this conversation is going on this topic. Sort of have same problem. Is there any problems that will arise by just soldering in some extension wire. Will the extra resistance in the circuit from the solder cause any problems at first or down the road

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

While this conversation is going on this topic. Sort of have same problem. Is there any problems that will arise by just soldering in some extension wire. Will the extra resistance in the circuit from the solder cause any problems at first or down the road

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Not sure about resistance issues, but if you're soldering on an extension, why not just do a wire replacement? It's a few more steps involved (opening case, unsoldering wire, etc), but it's a much better "fix" in the long run. It's ridiculously simple to do.

x2. On my SCX10 I ran the Rx all the way in the back and just ordered some stupid long extensions off of fleaBay. Then cut one to length and soldered it on.

I have the same servo, same problem. Bought a handful of servo extensions from ebay, and put a squirt of corrosion-x in the exposed extension connector before putting the servo side connector in.

I ran into this exact same issue while building up my SCX10ii. A wire extension will work, but that leaves you with another connection that needs to be sealed to waterproof it. Or, you can also get a 300mm servo wire and replace the existing one. Yes, it's more work than just plugging in an extension, but you maintain a simple waterproof connection. The servo wire comes complete with connector installed and ends stripped & tinned. Carefully open the servo case, remove the "guts," and unsolder old/resolder new wire. (Don't forget to feed the new wire through the servo casing BEFORE you solder it to the board, like i did. D-oh!) Reassemble. Reinstall. Run it!!

Aside from my goof of forgetting to run the wire through the case, it was a fairly simple job, and works perfectly!

Edit: 300mm servo wire:https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SPMSP3004

While this is the most full proof option, I do not suggest that a newb does this sort of modification. You will likely void the warranty on your servo if something goes wrong. I would not want to get that board too hot.

Now, I do like how you eliminate the connection in line by re-soldering instead of using an extension, I have just sprayed mine with corrosion x like David mentioned.

Just use a servo extension with a bit of dielectric grease, then if your servo has issues you don't have to open the radio box.

While this is the most full proof option, I do not suggest that a newb does this sort of modification. You will likely void the warranty on your servo if something goes wrong. I would not want to get that board too hot.

Now, I do like how you eliminate the connection in line by re-soldering instead of using an extension, I have just sprayed mine with corrosion x like David mentioned.

I want to avoid any soldering, though. So I just spray the exposed connectors with CorrosionX and I'm good to go?

Just use a servo extension with a bit of dielectric grease, then if your servo has issues you don't have to open the radio box.

So it's safe to have the connectors exposed when it is coated with dielectric grease?

From the looks of it, I can have the connectors inside and have a really short extension inside the receiver box but I am not sure if this idea will work.

I want to avoid any soldering, though. So I just spray the exposed connectors with CorrosionX and I'm good to go?

You are good to go.

If and when you want to practice your soldering skills, you can try shortening the extension cables to get rid of the slack.

If you are the type that puts the hyphen in anal-retentive, you could have a go a making your own extension cables.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vptd2n5p5-I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back