• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Steering problems with the Redcat Racing Sumo Crawler

When I try to steer, both front and rear wheels won't turn. Both servos also makes a high pitch noise as I try to steer on the remote.
I replaced the old servos with new ones but It still doesn't steer.
Switching steering modes doesn't help and the throttle works fine.
Do I just have bad luck with servos or could the ESC be the problem?

Sounds like might be ESC or RX, it is possible to get multiple bad servos, but I'd check the other two options first. Unplug one thing at a time , re-plug it all together and make sure fully seated plugs. Then try, if same problem, unplug one thing at a time and try steering.

Do the servos turn if you unhook the servo horns? It almost sounds like you have something binding although it does seem odd that both are doing this.

are you using the stock batteries or a lipo?
the stock servos have a tendency to bind easily. I take the cover off and use white grease in the gears to help the binding problem, but sooner than later they need to be replaced. I wont use the stock servos due to problems and get metal geared servos when replacing...

Sounds like might be ESC or RX, it is possible to get multiple bad servos, but I'd check the other two options first. Unplug one thing at a time , re-plug it all together and make sure fully seated plugs. Then try, if same problem, unplug one thing at a time and try steering.
I've tried and there's no change. Still doesn't steer.

are you using the stock batteries or a lipo?
the stock servos have a tendency to bind easily. I take the cover off and use white grease in the gears to help the binding problem, but sooner than later they need to be replaced. I wont use the stock servos due to problems and get metal geared servos when replacing...
I am using stock batteries. I can try using white grease when I get some. Though I don't know where to find metal geared servos for 1/24 scale RCs.

HK 929mg servo is metal geared and cheap......the original servo horn fits and it is a direct fit. If you have access to any other servo regardless of size plug it into the esc and see if it works. You dont need to install it in the sumo. If so the existing servo is bad, if not it is the esc.

Last edited:
if you have throttle but no steering and the new servos dont turn either, you probably have a bad rx....not a bad ESC

Back