• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Steering knuckle weights

Den72

Pebble Pounder
soUS_QBivxTRHs7VYZb4eCWt4w2VXp6pMbZoRpDuaUsv54zZWlT2UF-x9eVexatYite96Rg=s91

https://www.amazon.com/Que-T-Steering-Knuckles-Weight-Crawler/dp/B0817T4K4V/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=wraith+spawn+brass&qid=1620321423&sr=8-1

I am running a RTR Spawn with the pin mounts for the rim and want to install these. It appears that there are some clearance issues when mounting. I plan to convert to hex so this may address the issue not sure.

Anyone else have problems with mounting these?

I have a set of those on my Wraith, and another set on my 1/6 Ram. No issues with wheel fitment, though I use hexes and generally they seem to work well. If you are running the Axial IFD wheels, I think they have screws sticking out of the back of the wheel face which doesn't play well with knuckle weights in general.

FYI You'll have to monkey with the steering links a bit. It's best to mount both links under the steering arm. If you still run the stock plastic, it's not going to work. It's a high steer set-up, and the mounts are slightly further out on the axle so the stock link doesn't quite work. You can see I added some spacers between the link and the rod ends.
20190827-111001sm.jpg

Also, there's a tapped hole in the back of the weight. Highly recommend a screw back there with a washer or two to act as a steering stop. There's no stop on them, and they'll swing 90d if you let them. I thought I was good without since I have a decent servo on the Ram, but I almost ripped the front wheel off when it overextended. You can see the screw setup (kinda) in this pic
20190827-094724sm.jpg

Hope that helps. Sounds like a PITA, but they work very well once you sort them out.

Last edited:
Thank you for the tips and suggestions. Yes I am running the stock IFD Rims that came with the RTR. It appears to me as if those screws may be interfering, it doesn't allow the knuckles to recess far enough into the rim. I want to clarify, would converting to hex solve this problem since it will widen it a little bit?

Also I am at this moment in time (until I break parts using these weights), running stock links. Again to clarify when you added spacers that compensated for the difference in mounting and it works with the spacers, without the spacers it won't work?

They breaking because of the extra weight and less give? What like to hear more about this and maybe a possible solution. You running stock axle shafts?

They breaking because of the extra weight and less give? What like to hear more about this and maybe a possible solution. You running stock axle shafts?

Usually they dont break because of the weight ,but because the steering angle is to extreme. So you have to dial your EPA well"thumbsup"

Just install the steering stops as OSRC mentioned. Also if you break the axle shafts, in the very least buy the upgraded axial ones, not the dog bone ones. The reason you need to extend the steering links is to eliminate the excessive toe-in. Maybe you haven't noticed it yet without having your tires mounted, but you will have too much toe-in with the stock length steering links. You can run it for now like that, just stay off the tar as the extra grip will be putting extra stress on everything.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Back