• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

SSD Trail King and Vanquish VS4-10 comparison help

Hey Browneye,

What body are you putting on out of interest? Just seen your fj40 trx4, looks great, I wish they make a single cab version in lexan.

Need to have a think about overdrive too but I think I will try it out without first.

SSD makes a replacement ring and pinion for the front axle in the lower numeric ratio - higher drive ratio for a slightly faster wheel spin. You can get one thru ebay, amazon, or amain, or your favorite supplier. Just search SSD ar44 overdrive gears.

Here's the amain link: https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc...g-gear-set-27t-8t-ssd00349/p-qqqrtaqqybzqqctz

That kind of answered the gearbox overdrive feature in the Element. I already had a Senduro and sold it. So was less inclined to build another of those chassis'. Not that they're bad, but they are unique, not all of the options like you get with an scx10 knockoff.

I got the proline half-body truggy tube kit, going to pair it with the Proline Silverado. I like chevy trucks, the one I built on a modified Ascender was my comp rig for several years and it's really getting haggard. I have a new cab so instead of replacing the old rig I decided to build a new one.

I'm not a big yota fan, but would definitely take a two-door land cruiser over the the one I have - it's REALLY big. It works find, but it's pretty bulky. The short ones are hard bodies and REALLY short wheelbase. I just didn't see that working out. Same for a LandRover Defender - the 110 is huge, the 90 is too short for a standard chassis.

I was initially looking at getting a steel truggy cage from SMF RC Works but they are completely unresponsive - gave up. They seem to have very limited cabs they match to. They mentioned the Proline Ford, but I'm completely off of fords too. LOL

Anyway, looking forward to what you come up with. I don't know if I'll bother with a build thread - maybe just post up a pic in the pic thread.

I'm skipping an interior, and not opening hood. Oh well. I'm going to try to do a rear pivot so the whole body will tilt up, kind of like a funny-car.

Here's my Ascender Silverado truggy, modified ascender cage. Yeah, that was a trick. LOL This one has all the mods, vanquish axles, HH motor, HW esc, beeftubes - actually this one has Cody-Boy axles, heavy knuckles, lights, sliders, bumpers...it's an animal.

Cool truck. Not sure if I would be bothered with a opening hood neither. Nice for a shelf queen but a bit fiddly for a crawler. Would be a truck version LS engine in there for a Silverado wouldn't it? It's also nice to see some newer bodies as everyone seems to be into rusty old ones!

Would definitely have an American truck of some sort if I was in the US but it just feels a bit weird to have them in the UK as you won't see them on the road or in 1:1 off roading here. More common are things like a land rover discovery 1 truggy, more so than defenders actually funny enough as they are cheap.

I arrived at the FJ idea just because I have a Defender and don't want to just have a scaled down version of it. So that pretty much just leaves me with a Japanese truck and out of those the FJ and LC70 speaks to me most.

I did do some calcs on the scale and I think in theory a FJ43 MWB will work with 313mm wheelbase. Is it the proline fj40 you have? Tht always looked a bit funny in proportions.

I was actually thinking abt rc4wd hard body but wasnt sure how hardbodies hold up in bumps and rolls? I guess bits just falls off?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I say go for the vs4-10 out of the box they are great rigs. It’s the only rig other than my box stock trx4 sport that my nephew can’t break easily. I have an ultra and is stock other than class 1 crawlers on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool truck. Not sure if I would be bothered with a opening hood neither. Nice for a shelf queen but a bit fiddly for a crawler. Would be a truck version LS engine in there for a Silverado wouldn't it? It's also nice to see some newer bodies as everyone seems to be into rusty old ones!

Would definitely have an American truck of some sort if I was in the US but it just feels a bit weird to have them in the UK as you won't see them on the road or in 1:1 off roading here. More common are things like a land rover discovery 1 truggy, more so than defenders actually funny enough as they are cheap.

I arrived at the FJ idea just because I have a Defender and don't want to just have a scaled down version of it. So that pretty much just leaves me with a Japanese truck and out of those the FJ and LC70 speaks to me most.

I did do some calcs on the scale and I think in theory a FJ43 MWB will work with 313mm wheelbase. Is it the proline fj40 you have? Tht always looked a bit funny in proportions.

I was actually thinking abt rc4wd hard body but wasnt sure how hardbodies hold up in bumps and rolls? I guess bits just falls off?

You are unlike most RC crawler guys out there... lol Most want a replica of their 1:1...

Hard bodies are more fragile than Lexan bodies by a lot! Lexan bends and flexes before cracking, Styrene/abs just cracks and breaks, then you have to glue it together. The Hilux body I have has been glued back together half a dozen times at least.
Plus it is heavy by comparison, easily double the weight of lexan, and usually 3-10x thicker.

If you want a more durable body that will perform better, go lexan. Other wise if you want a shelf queen with insane details... go hardbody.

You are unlike most RC crawler guys out there... lol Most want a replica of their 1:1...

Hard bodies are more fragile than Lexan bodies by a lot! Lexan bends and flexes before cracking, Styrene/abs just cracks and breaks, then you have to glue it together. The Hilux body I have has been glued back together half a dozen times at least.

Plus it is heavy by comparison, easily double the weight of lexan, and usually 3-10x thicker.

If you want a more durable body that will perform better, go lexan. Other wise if you want a shelf queen with insane details... go hardbody.
Well I think it's still cool to have a replica but personally just prefer to get something new.

Anyway it looks like it will have to be lexan given I do want to drive it around and it's probably more child proof. I can just see my kid pulling bits off a hard body....

My 1:1 replica was a Jeep wrangler - but nearly impossible to model a narrow-axle/body TJ, so the new-style Proline was close enough. Complete with original body-paint and wheels.

And then my C10 beer truck...

Nice. I had a JK for a while actually and thought the JL makes a nice daily but my wife really dislike it for some reason.

Love the beer truck, reminds me of the horse drawn beer cart my local brewery has.

Back