• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Spots I've found

freddyg

Rock Stacker
Hey guys, I'm having trouble finding spots to crawl, so I thought I'd post up what I've found so far and hope for some others to be posted.
I'm currently living in Des Moines, but working 3 days a week in the Waterloo Area.
So for Des Moines, all I've found is a spot on the south eastern shore of Gray's Lake. If you take the north entrance to the park off of Fleur and go all the way around the lake, you can find this:
grayslake01.jpg

And in Waverly Iowa, just to the north (1/2 block) of main street, on the east side of the river you can find this:
waverly01.jpg

I would give the Gray's lake spot a 2 out of 5 and the waverly spot a 4 out of 5 for what i would think would rock.
-Fred

I also found this at Saylorville Lake, north of Des Moines, I havent crawled it yet. its located next to the main spill way
saylorville01.jpeg

at first i wasnt attracted to it, but i think i'll give it a shot considering my options at this point

anyone have thoughts on any of these spots?

The Waverly spot doesn't look too bad. I will hafta check that one out for sure.

The Sailorville spot might have some potential as well.

I live about an hour away, maybe we could get together and do some crawling at these spots.

Thanks for posting up the pix and taking the time to scout them out..... we are always looking for new areas.

What's up with the spot in Waverly? Is it a public place?

That would be great MD. The waverly spot is public. Its sort of a micro park leading to an overlook of the dam and spillway. Part of the powerhouse. People fish from the overlook. So far its My favorite spot.

Red rock lake has tons of spots my Fav is by the marina if you go there you'll see it can't miss it kinda extreme for my 1.9 scaler but fun another good spot is by the whitebreast boat ramp right by the beach tons of fun

when your in waterloo find the Mitchell sand pits (atv/dirt bike park)

theres an awesome spot along the river right by the boat ramp,

and my parents have an awesome spot in evansdale right across the street from them on public land

when your in waterloo find the Mitchell sand pits (atv/dirt bike park)

theres an awesome spot along the river right by the boat ramp,

and my parents have an awesome spot in evansdale right across the street from them on public land

Can you post pics of these 2 spots? Evansdale isn't to far for a road trip!

>>>-------->MaxxRunner

been a while for me. but im back in it. thinking of checking out redrock marina today. found an awesome spot in west dsm, at the Methodist hospital, but public safety told me i couldnt be there...ugh. also tried some rocks at hy-vee headquarters. its ok i suppose, my favorite so far in central iowa is in ames, under the bridghe at brookside park.
any other action round here?
thanks

Last edited:
I went and hit the Saylorville lake spillway tonight, it isnt perfect, to many gaps, but it has the most potential of anything i've seen yet.

so, are there any Iowa crawlers left? I'd love to hear from you. my life is settling down, so i've got the time to play finally.

Still here. I thought I might be the only one left. Most of the action is on Bartshobbyshack.com check it out

>>>---------->MaxxRunner

hey, if anyones is still out there, the wife and I are purchasing a house (assuming all goes well) and it happens to include an area that will be excellent for crawling with a little work.
crawlerarea.jpg

the area to the left of the pic is actually larger but needs more work hopefullly be moved in by nov 1

Last edited:
I'm still around. Time is tough to come by. But i always have the itch to run the comp crawler/scaler. Fall/winter/early spring are my times to R/C.

good to hear there are still some people around. have yet to crawl with anyone. but looking forward to it.

ok, originally i avoided the specific spot at the Saylorville spillway posted above, i thought the gaps were to big.... tried it for the first time last night, holy smokes! i had a blast!!! cant even explain it, i felt like a kid.
anyone down for a gtg this weekend?

Back