• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Spartan Buggy Electronics

dondraper25

Pebble Pounder
Hi everyone, my name is Nick and I have a build (please see build thread address in signature block) in the Axial Wraith forum. I am at a point where I would like to put a serious power plant between the frame rails, but needed to ask a few questions first.

A years ago, I smoked an ESC (the factory one) and went to my local hobby shop to buy a new one. The nice gentleman behind the counter talked me in to buying a matching brushless ESC / Motor combo. Being new to the hobby, I went for it.
A week before deploying to Afghanistan, my son and I set out to replace the smoked ESC and install the new motor. Everything went great. I checked and double checked all connections, and when we went to connect the battery (2S Venom), we instantly saw the magic smoke escaping from the ESC. We never got to turn the wheels / tires.

Fast forward to now, I've deployed a few more times, and spent money on factory Axial ESC's and motors just to get it out on the trail. Well I am in the market for a new ESC / Motor, and I have held on to the Novak components I bought. I figured that maybe the motor is still good, and I can just buy a sensored ESC? That is why I am posting here.

Please let me know what you all would do. I would like to surprise my son with a Ramjet 502 the next time I see him. The factory LS1's (Axial 27T / AE-5) have been fun, but we are looking for one and done at this point. Plenty of power but plenty of control. I know for my next buggy I'll be buying Castles components because I like the idea of being able to program my throttle / power curves. But that is for another thread.

Thank you all.

Pics of Novak stuff

Attachments

• IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 138
Ah you let the smoke outta her...

That Novak motor is a great way to start, if you're looking for an esc check out your local listings on CL or what you guys use in the USA. If you can find a Castle Mamba Max Pro, it's an excellent sensored esc, although it is not waterproof and the internal BEC is mediocre. If you have the cash and want to put DFI on that 502, Castle released the Mamba X not too long ago. Much Better than the MMP as it comes waterproof, has a better internal BEC, and a few other cool features.

I'm currently in the process of building my SCX10, got a MMP and a SkyRC S-pro4 on 3s. It has ridiculous power... I'd say too much, but that would be un-American. "thumbsup"

I run one of those motors in my 1.9 Wraith. Runs excellent and very powerful on 2S! Well worth keeping.

Back