• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Soldering Temp for 60/40 Rosin Core

dutch13k

I need to do some soldering: battery connectors, esc, etc. It's been awhile and I can't remember the temperature I was using.

I did a little digging and with 60/40 rosin core solder the melting point is somewhere around 375F and 400F. However, it think I had my iron set to 650F and the solder flowed nicely.

Does this sound about right? What temp are guys using?

Thanks!

Full speed ahead. Crank it. Unless you're melting the insulation of the wire.

Hot and fast.

Yes....the quicker you can heat the joint and get the solder to flow the quicker you can get the iron off it to cool it down....fewer cold joints that way too....

Lot's of good soldering info here:
How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson) - R/C Tech Forums

Here's a snippet from the above link about temperature:
Next you need to choose the appropriate working temperatures to use when soldering different components. (All temps below are based on using lead solder. Lead free and silver based solders need higher temps, another reason I do not like them)

While Lead solders melt around 400*F you will need higher heat to work effectively. I use 650*F for all purpose soldering on wires larger than 18ga, 625* for 22-18ga wires, and I will increase the temp if I find that I have issues with thermal recovery or large components not heating quickly. It should not take longer than 6 seconds to make a connection. If you have problems, increase the temp by 10 or 15*. 600 – 750*F is the usable temp ranges for good soldering. 750* is pushing it, severely, and I would avoid going that high if possible. If your solder tip is turning discolored (a rainbow like dull shine) you are using to much heat.

If you ever have to turn the temp up higher than 700* you need a bigger tip. (I would even say 675* means a larger tip is needed)

If you ever need to do any soldering directly to a circuit board, 600* is where you need to start at, and never go higher than 625* unless absolutely necessary. I mean that... check every other possible reason that can cause issues before turning up higher than 625* when soldering on a board.

Back