• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

So what to upgrade 1st, 2nd, 3rd...

Ca. Off Roader

Pebble Pounder
Been doing lots of reading and from what I can see, there are lots of ways to go with the upgrades...

My goal for the bomber is to make a high speed rig that's capable of crawling much like it's namesake.

In short a rig that can run fast & still crawl... LOL, yes that's a tall order.

So, here's my list so far. The priority for which I do first is still up in the air but I'm thinking steering first followed by the rest and ultimately speed last so I'll be asking about motors & esc's later.

2 Speed Transmission
So I will want to perform an upgrade to a 2 speed transmission. This part of the upgrade process seems pretty straight forward and I hope to use the stock steering servo to shift gears.

Steering Servo & Servo Horn
This obviously means I also want to upgrade the steering servo horn to an Axial clamp on horn but what servo to use? I know it needs to be a pretty high torque servo upwards of 250oz (?) so my question is, does a <$75 dollar servo exist that would fit the bill and still be reliable? I sure wish I caught the Holmes Hobbies clearance sale in time on the HV400's.

Sway Bars
And then there's the sway bars... there seem to be a few options.
Which one offers the best bang for the buck?
Do they offer different spring rates?
Also aside from cool factor, are the Currie Anti-Rock sway bars worth the cost ($45) or are the Axial ones good enough albeit less bling than the Currie units?

Steering Links
I see many of you upgrade the steering linkages and there are plenty to choose from between aluminum and titanium tubes.
Any pro's and con's (other than cost) to what you all are choosing?

IIRC from a metalurgical POV aluminum is typically stiffer and will flex less than Titanium but obviously lbs for lbs the Ti will be stronger. I assume having a bit of flex will help reduce shock to the rest of the steering system, but is that really needed at this scale?

So assuming Ti links are preferred... is the SSD titanium set (SSD Titanium Steering Links for Axial Wraith) for just $15 good enough?
Or are the Vanquish bars at $25 really worth the extra money? Frankly at that price it's not that a deal breaker but just curious about the difference.

Upper Links & Trailing Arms
When does one really need to consider upgrading them? I mean is this for someone who's running their rigs hard crawling really difficult terrain or making some really high speed runs?

Shocks, Springs, & Oil
How bad are the stock shocks/springs? I know from driving it around myself, I see the rig swaying like crazy which has it's pro's and con's depending on where I'm driving it but then that's one of the reasons i'm looking @ sway bars. Does Axial make optional valving for the shocks or is the stock valving sufficient?

Front and Rear Drive Train
Am I right in assuming upgrading this to some of the really nice aluminum options out there is the least of my worries and low on the priority list or is there something inherently wrong with the stock setup?

Sorry if that was kinda rambling. It's a lot to digest from my end so TIA for your patience & any insights you can share.

Check out my thread. We have the same goals. We are currently having this very same discussion there. :)

This section is polluted with various answers to your questions, check around the other identical threads.

Check out my thread. We have the same goals. We are currently having this very same discussion there. :)

Thanks man. Yeah I've been reading your thread actually. One difference I saw straight away is that I do want to crawl as well as go fast while you mention you're more interested in speed. That's one key reason I wanted to post a separate thread. Plus there were questions I couldn't find answers to, and not just the standard what should I buy question. :)

This section is polluted with various answers to your questions, check around the other identical threads.

Thanks. I did do a ton of reading over the past couple of weeks since began researching the Bomber. There are several things I couldn't find a clear answer on.

The advantage/disadvantage of Alum vs titanium for our suspension links... is it worth the added price or do they both perform adequately well for this application?

Sway bars. Yes there are plenty but none of them say why one is better than the other performance wise... at least from what I've read. Perhaps this may be due to the type of driving each is doing? I don't know so I figured I'd ask since I couldn't find an answer.

Do any shock valving options exist from Axial? I couldn't find any and I really like how gmade has several different valving options for their shocks and was hoping something similar existed from Axial. :(

Alternatively I see that rc4wd have released aluminum king shocks as well so that may be another option I'll consider. I saw that Bilinvic seems to like them but he's still tuning everything I think and his budget may be a bit bigger than mine LOL.

Thanks again...

Do any shock valving options exist from Axial? I couldn't find any and I really like how gmade has several different valving options for their shocks and was hoping something similar existed from Axial.

There are different shock pistons, including the variable rate pistons, on the parts tree AX80033 that come in the box with the rig.
ax80033.jpg

And personally from my experience with brushless sensored motors in my Wraith & my 2.2 U4RC Trophy rig the 2 speed is unnecessary & is $65-100 (depending on SSD or Axial) that can be spent on the esc & motor instead.
I run an CC MMP & Tekin Pro4 3300kv in both on 3s, smooth, powerful, great brakes. If I was buying right now I'd be going for a HH BLE pro & Puller pro 3500

Last edited:
LOL, I hadn't actually opened the bag :oops: as I figured I'd be upgrading most things.

I guess I'll begin searching what folks thought of the stock options then. 8)

I should add that I'll be upgrading to a sensored brushless setup as funds allow so having an interim 2 speed would serve its purpose nicely.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Back