• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

---Short Circuit--- Capra RTR Build

No, you don't need it, but it's so nice to have. Once you try a great servo like that it's hard to go back to budget servos. I mean do we need LiPo batteries? Nope. We can go back to getting 15 minute run times out of an hour charge if we'd like...
First, gotta say, your post gave me a good laugh...especially the last sentence. As my client's flight has been delayed (a few times) by over two hours, I really needed a good laugh. I've got a busy, stressful work week ahead of me, and that was a good way to start the week.

As for "more powerful" vs "less powerful" servos, just because a servo is less powerful, that doesn't make it a 'budget' servo...equating "lower powered" to "budget" is just plain ignorant. Even the least powerful Tekin & Futaba servos cost more than the most powerful "cheap" (ie. crappy Chinese garbage) servos. While I prefer Hitec servos, I wouldn't consider the ones I have as 'budget', all their all on the higher-end, and now exactly inexpensive. Plus, I do have some Futaba servos, which cost even more.

In what I originally said, I was referring to the power output, can and nothing else. Sure, you can dial-down the power in those super-high-end servos (they are programmable, after all), but what the point in getting a servo that powerful if you're just gonna knock it down to 2/3, or even 1/2, that. Why not save a bundle of $$, get a servo that has a power output closet to what your actually going to use (or actually need), and put that saved money into other upgrades? There's a huge difference between "spending needlessly", and "shopping smartly". In shopping smartly, after a few vehicles, I'll have saved enough to build another entire kit (including electronics).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

First, gotta say, your post gave me a good laugh...especially the last sentence. As my client's flight has been delayed (a few times) by over two hours, I really needed a good laugh. I've got a busy, stressful work week ahead of me, and that was a good way to start the week.

As for "more powerful" vs "less powerful" servos, just because a servo is less powerful, that doesn't make it a 'budget' servo...equating "lower powered" to "budget" is just plain ignorant. Even the least powerful Tekin & Futaba servos cost more than the most powerful "cheap" (ie. crappy Chinese garbage) servos. While I prefer Hitec servos, I wouldn't consider the ones I have as 'budget', all their all on the higher-end, and now exactly inexpensive. Plus, I do have some Futaba servos, which cost even more.

In what I originally said, I was referring to the power output, can and nothing else. Sure, you can dial-down the power in those super-high-end servos (they are programmable, after all), but what the point in getting a servo that powerful if you're just gonna knock it down to 2/3, or even 1/2, that. Why not save a bundle of $$, get a servo that has a power output closet to what your actually going to use (or actually need), and put that saved money into other upgrades? There's a huge difference between "spending needlessly", and "shopping smartly". In shopping smartly, after a few vehicles, I'll have saved enough to build another entire kit (including electronics).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I'm glad I could make you laugh. "thumbsup"

It was a general statement aimed at crawling servos only and not considering other niches of RC. Obviously you can get very expensive servos that don't have a ton of torque, but they are super fast and center very well or offer some kind of benefits like programmability, etc. When I said budget servos, I meant the no name ones from China in the $25 range. While completely fine, they just aren't on the same level as something like the Savox 2290.

I don't dial back the power in my 2290.

Cool feedback on servo's.

Side note, I ordered a Castle BEC 2.0 and Bluetooth link, as I only have Apple stuff, and I have quite a few other Castle Products. I like the idea of being able to tune on my phone on the fly.

Maybe a Mamba X, 4S and sensored motor is in the Capra's future :mrgreen:

I'm really wanting to get back on the Capra, but I'm trying to get the RZR ready for KOH.

1:1 or 10:1 Wiring sucks lol :evil:
vUc5tIih.jpg

Not much to update on the Capra unfortunately, but the Servo came in. This thing is a beauty! I have no experience with Savox so we'll see how it does. The 2290 seems to have a good reputation here. I am surprised how heavy it is.

YPFvnY8h.jpg

J8wwHDUh.jpg

vrK6jblh.jpg

Side note I got my Wroncho running for the first time. Threw on some new Proline XL Swampers and some Cheapy Amazon Beadlocks. It's rocking an old FX-R and a 35T Integy motor lol!

dIpMjuSh.jpg

2G0BVsdh.jpg

These things are huge! I was thinking of trying them on the Capra, but they are way to big, almost 6" Tall!

Pa92McVh.jpg

Not much to update on the Capra unfortunately, but the Servo came in. This thing is a beauty! I have no experience with Savox so we'll see how it does. The 2290 seems to have a good reputation here. I am surprised how heavy it is.

Side note I got my Wroncho running for the first time. Threw on some new Proline XL Swampers and some Cheapy Amazon Beadlocks. It's rocking an old FX-R and a 35T Integy motor lol!

These things are huge! I was thinking of trying them on the Capra, but they are way to big, almost 6" Tall!

Pa92McVh.jpg

For being cheap amazon beadlocks, they look pretty nice!

The Savox 2290 is a beast. You will love it.

The Wroncho looks great!

Wheels and tires also look great.

I haven't gotten to the electronics yet, but I've completed some stuff.

I picked up some 1.9 Amazon cheapy wheels, hopefully I can flip the bill for some Vanquish wheels in the near future. I also picked up some Hyrax Predators. Currently stock foams, which I think are too soft after adding the hub weights. Not sure whether to go with Crawler Innovation or Proline dual rate foams.
KvnHD4kh.jpg

For being $40 shipped they are pretty nice. You can tell they aren't highend when you look at them up close, and they don't fit the 12mm hubs all too well.

PucVvY8h.jpg

These are the outer Portal weights. They are the same front and rear.

95Llux2h.jpg

These are the front knuckles.

UoTd3dOh.jpg

Unfortunately, the Treal outers add 1/4" per side. Total with .350 SRW's is 3/4" increase track width.

UsHazTTh.jpg

Stock gears on the left.

CpKI1LSh.jpg

The stock Portal gears had zero grease on them, probably for a reason, but I added some Mobile 1 to the fronts with the 30% Overdrive.

QLl861Ch.jpg

9fIWA4Ih.jpg

SG6GoALh.jpg

Dpi7jKrh.jpg

gbglCaKh.jpg

Back