• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Shapeways has shutdown and filed for bankruptcy...

Yup, not surprised. Loved the quality of their product but the prices were outrageous.

I'm not overly surprised. I never ordered anything from them as the prices and lead time seemed excessive. I feel like they over estimated the premium they could charge for a small level of convenience compared to other printing services. Not sure if it was the parts designers or shapeways that drove the price, but anything I ever considered from them I never pulled the trigger on.

I'm not overly surprised. I never ordered anything from them as the prices and lead time seemed excessive. I feel like they over estimated the premium they could charge for a small level of convenience compared to other printing services. Not sure if it was the parts designers or shapeways that drove the price, but anything I ever considered from them I never pulled the trigger on.
Their shipping rates to Canada was OBSCENE as well. Stuff that would be 15 dollars from anyone else was 45+ from shapeways.

Good riddance! They used to be great and then they decided to start price gouging. You can't price gouge when most people that are interested in 3D printing start getting their own printers. The only thing I'll miss is the small check I received from them on a regular basis for my uploads that people bought.

They decently survived the mass influx of cheap 3d printers. And as most businesses, failed to capitalize on ALL fields where purchasing software and hardware, learning design software, and printing, was just too much of a chose for a hobbyist or small/large business.

It's funny. There is still no indication on the actual shapeways site about this. I can still search and add parts to my cart, choose checkout, etc. I'm not going to go any further, but for all the news about them closing, it seems the web people (of there are any around still) didn't get the memo.

Fyi, I added a wraith skid to my cart for the check above. $80 for a basic 3d printed wraith skid with shipping and tax. If you want it printed and shipped in 6 days, add another $12. This is why they are closing.

This is literally the reason I originally bought my own printer in 2021. At those rates, the machine pays for itself in just a handful of parts.

It's funny. There is still no indication on the actual shapeways site about this. I can still search and add parts to my cart, choose checkout, etc. I'm not going to go any further, but for all the news about them closing, it seems the web people (of there are any around still) didn't get the memo.

Fyi, I added a wraith skid to my cart for the check above. $80 for a basic 3d printed wraith skid with shipping and tax. If you want it printed and shipped in 6 days, add another $12. This is why they are closing.

This is literally the reason I originally bought my own printer in 2021. At those rates, the machine pays for itself in just a handful of parts.
Sounds familiar, but worse.

I purchased a few small detailed parts(light buckets/grills) from them many years back. They used to occasionally promote free shipping offers which is when I would order a few things. It made the price somewhat palatable because their print quality was exceptional.

With coupons and a sale the prices were not out of line for the things I bought. Now were have every guy with a $99 filament printer thinking he is a full blown print shop.

Any ideas where companies and people who sold parts through them will migrate? What are other reliable options?

Considering the bosses salary kept going up and was over the 1.xx mark .....

But theres still iMaterialise

Ive used them before when they were cheaper then shapeways. Now they seem about average but were still under shapeways.
Though its been a few years but their stuff was the same quality as shapeways.

Wow!

The bankruptcy filing caused defaults on several debt obligations, including a $669,500 secured promissory note with 3DP Custom Manufacture, LLC. This debt, entered into on June 10, 2024, had an interest rate tied to the one-month SOFR plus 6% and was due on July 5, 2024. The funds were earmarked exclusively for payroll obligations, reflecting Shapeways’ dire financial state before the bankruptcy.

Back