• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Servo voltage issue

v3dg

Ok so I removed an old Savox 1230 from a previous build that seemed to be working perfectly to a new build I'm doing. When I powered it on the first time the servo was stuttering when turning slowly. I decided to check the voltage from the receiver and was getting 4.01V on the servo port. I checked with a servo extension wire that I cut up to easily use a multimeter on wires, not sure if this method is flawed... I am also using an old 10A Castle BEC (the one with blue shrink wrap over it).

Anyways after discovering the voltage issue, I then purchased a Castle link.
The voltage was set to 5.1V (even though I was getting 4.01 from the Rx) but then I changed it to 6V (the max that the servo can accept) and after checking voltage again (from my maybe flawed way of checking) I am now getting 4.91V.

Should I adjust the BEC until I fully get 6V to the port or is there maybe an issue with my Rx? I am using a Radiolink R6FG...

I wouldn't suggest to keep upping the BEC voltage.

On my Futaba and Sanwa RX-482 (and the clone of the RX-482) that I have, all of the pins + and - are on the same PCB rail. Basically all the + are tied and all the - are tied together. With 6.45vdc into my receiver, I'm seeing 6.45vdc on all the pins + & - pins.

If you have confirmed the BEC is actually sending out 6.0vdc,
I'm thinking you either have:
  • Something else plugged in that is drawing an awful lot of power and sagging the voltage down.
  • A bad solder on the RX board that is causing resistance.
  • A bad RX unit that is drawing a lot of amperage.

I wouldn't suggest to keep upping the BEC voltage.

On my Futaba and Sanwa RX-482 (and the clone of the RX-482) that I have, all of the pins + and - are on the same PCB rail. Basically all the + are tied and all the - are tied together. With 6.45vdc into my receiver, I'm seeing 6.45vdc on all the pins + & - pins.

If you have confirmed the BEC is actually sending out 6.0vdc,
I'm thinking you either have:
  • Something else plugged in that is drawing an awful lot of power and sagging the voltage down.
  • A bad solder on the RX board that is causing resistance.
  • A bad RX unit that is drawing a lot of amperage.

Thank you very much for the help. For some reason I was only checking from the servo port and not the BEC itself to eliminate possible problems. I tested the voltage from the BEC and I was getting 5.1v and then thought the changes from the Castle link didn't stick but then realized the voltage kept going up very slowly. Like about 0.01 every 4 seconds. I waited about 7 minutes for it to go up and finally settled on 6.02v. I then disconnected the battery and reconnected multiple times and I seem to always get that good voltage now which raises another question... Is this normal in any way? Do BEC's need this much time to adjust to a stable voltage and stay there? Anyways it's working now so I'm 75% satisfied, not sure if I should change it now.

is the gyro turned on that could be the source of the power draw
just a thought

Thanks for the input. That would of been a good idea to check but it was off. Problem solved by itself apparently...?

I waited about 7 minutes for it to go up and finally settled on 6.02v. I then disconnected the battery and reconnected multiple times and I seem to always get that good voltage now which raises another question... Is this normal in any way? Do BEC's need this much time to adjust to a stable voltage and stay there? Anyways it's working now so I'm 75% satisfied, not sure if I should change it now.

No, they should not have a "ramp up" time or soft start style feature at all, honestly rolling a lower voltage to a DC device to gradually bring it's voltage up would not be a good thing - unless large capacitors (far excessive to the use and size we would see in RC) are in use.

With Voltage there is a direct relationship to amperage (Ohm's law). Lower voltage = higher amperage needed to do work.

This to me sounds like something else is going on. I wonder if the capacitor on your BEC is faulty and is initially resistive and charges slowly. Sadly there is 3 ways to find out. And I don't recommend the them unless you're really comfortable with electronics.

One: Bypass the capacitor. Remove it, use a jumper wire around it.
Two: Remove it and test it, if you have a LCR meter.
Three: Replace it.

Back