• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Scx10III Base Camp builders kit

twade984

Buy High, Sell Low
Subscribed Member
https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...p-4wd-rock-crawler-builders-kit/AXI03011.html

4d32f837a0f811f924b90f69d6af4580.jpg

If you haven’t seen it yet, there’s a new builders kit!

Personally I’m pretty excited for it. I picked up a basecamp RTR not long ago, and it’s a really good truck imo.

The new kit has straight axles, and a dig included, which I think is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exocaged RC on you tube posted a build video and first drive this am
"thumbsup" joe reviews many rc cars some others wont touch and he beats the heck out of them his reviews to me are best
"thumbsup"

Why did this took so long time to release?

They should release this half year ago latest.
One year after RTR is not cool.
3-6month max

Too expensive for this basic kit. No wheels, no body.
With wheels and body clear price ok.
Without like this
229$ max

There is better Vanquish and alot other nice rigs almost at same price like this.
Vanquish did have kit like this without body and wheels at 249$

100$ more and you get Phoenix kit with nice body and good wheels

3-6month max

Without like this
229$ max

There is better Vanquish and alot other nice rigs almost at same price like this.

Thats the same price the 10.2 builders kit was, thats not a bad price man. Plus it has updated trans n axles over the 10.2. And they wont immediatly release a kit version of a newly released rtr, they need to see if its goina b a hit sale or not. Theres a reason for their madness, n it works for them. I forsee these kits sellin left n right at the price they are

3-6month max

Without like this
229$ max

I could also argue you’re paying $120 more for a Phoenix kit that comes with wheels and tires and a body set I don’t want. But that’s a stupid argument also, because they are two different rigs intended for two different purposes.

The $249 VP builders bundle was a one off deal and an incredible value.

You can debate which kit is better all day, but there’s a lot of personal preference involved. At the end of the day, we all benefit from there being more options available to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is pretty great and I might get one. Don't really need it at all, but I love any truck I build more than an RTR.

The VP Builder's bundle for $249 was indeed a one-off. And really a bitch to assemble. I had two or three Vanquish manuals open on my computer to assemble the the sub-assemblies that made up the overall kit.

It should have been released ages ago, but glad to see it finally done.

Personally I wish the shocks were 5mm shorter or the shock towers were 5mm taller. Not sure why they went to a 95mm shock but whatever. Ride height on this thing looks high.

A clear basecamp body would have been a fun addition to the kit. It’s a nice body and would have loved to see a flood of them getting chopped up, swapped etc.

As it is, it’s super basic. The dig is a fun feature but they should have added the optional parts for omitting it. I guess they need to maintain all avenues towards generating more income and I would never consider Horizon a company that runs a generous model of business.

I may use one of these for a build eventually, but nothing here has me overly excited here. The Basecamp is already old news and chassis kits are nothing new either. We shouldn’t be saying it, but Axial is late to the party. There is Likely still better Value in Vanquish and Element Trucks, but I am glad to see it hit the market

It should have been released ages ago, but glad to see it finally done.

Personally I wish the shocks were 5mm shorter or the shock towers were 5mm taller. Not sure why they went to a 95mm shock but whatever. Ride height on this thing looks high.

A clear basecamp body would have been a fun addition to the kit. It’s a nice body and would have loved to see a flood of them getting chopped up, swapped etc.

As it is, it’s super basic. The dig is a fun feature but they should have added the optional parts for omitting it. I guess they need to maintain all avenues towards generating more income and I would never consider Horizon a company that runs a generous model of business.

I may use one of these for a build eventually, but nothing here has me overly excited here. The Basecamp is already old news and chassis kits are nothing new either. We shouldn’t be saying it, but Axial is late to the party. There is Likely still better Value in Vanquish and Element Trucks, but I am glad to see it hit the market

Has Element updated the builder's kit to have the newer axle housings? I know those were a hot topic in the past. Would be cool for Element to figure out a dig kit, but not necessary.

Has Element updated the builder's kit to have the newer axle housings? I know those were a hot topic in the past. Would be cool for Element to figure out a dig kit, but not necessary.

I don't know, I haven't bought a v2 builders kit but I would imagine that is what they are doing of they haven't already . There is no reason for them to produce both housings. Element is pretty on top of updating their kits

I started building the new Base camp kit this afternoon, and getting to finishing the transmission, I have concluded this kit is worth every penny of the $269 they are asking for it... Compared to the RBK, of the scx10II it is leaps ahead of it. Dig, can be locked out or put a servo in to activate it, metal links, metal balls in the rod ends, offset front axle, looks like hardened gears, 6 screw lockers, aluminum bodied shocks, adjustable chassis... I haven't built the links or anything past the transmission, but I am really liking the build. I wouldn't recommend the build to someone who has never built a kit, but it is one of the better Axial builds I have done.

I started building the new Base camp kit this afternoon, and getting to finishing the transmission, I have concluded this kit is worth every penny of the $269 they are asking for it... Compared to the RBK, of the scx10II it is leaps ahead of it. Dig, can be locked out or put a servo in to activate it, metal links, metal balls in the rod ends, offset front axle, looks like hardened gears, 6 screw lockers, aluminum bodied shocks, adjustable chassis... I haven't built the links or anything past the transmission, but I am really liking the build. I wouldn't recommend the build to someone who has never built a kit, but it is one of the better Axial builds I have done.

When you assemble the chassis can you confirm all the screws are available ?
My kit misses some of them, may be I had bad luck, or Axial quality controls are becoming worse and worse.

When you assemble the chassis can you confirm all the screws are available ?
My kit misses some of them, may be I had bad luck, or Axial quality controls are becoming worse and worse.

There are so many chassis screws, It may have got lost. Just saying, I may have lost a 8mm button head in the build, I dropped screws and stupid e clips numerous times throughout the build. It may not have been included; I didn't track how many I got.
As far as their quality control, I feel it is the best quality kit I have ever assembled from them.

Last edited:
Back