• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

SCRCC Crawling Locations Map

That's what you were talking about...gotcha...I've been down there but never walked to the river. There's kind of a wall between the apts and the grassy area where theres large rocks. Maybe I'll ride over there tomorrow and check it out again.

It doesn't look like any of the rock in the river is accessible, but there is a lot of rock at the train trestle...but it's not worth the walk to it I don't believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KaJKZpqyw4&feature=related

Last edited:
That's what you were talking about...gotcha...I've been down there but never walked to the river. There's kind of a wall between the apts and the grassy area where theres large rocks. Maybe I'll ride over there tomorrow and check it out again.

It doesn't look like any of the rock in the river is accessible, but there is a lot of rock at the train trestle...but it's not worth the walk to it I don't believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KaJKZpqyw4&feature=related
have you been yourself? i cant tell much from that video, this guy seems to be looking mainly at the sites and not at rocks, so it may still be worth a trip. if all else fails we can go to the zoo if nothing turns up.

I may have missed someone else talking about this in the past, but Goatsniper just pointed out a new location...new to me anyway...at Dravo Dam or Gaston Shoals thats north of Gaffney and just south of the NC state line. I added it to the map...check it out...if anyone has been there let me know what its like and post pics if you have them!

Oconee/Pickens county bridge

I don't have the coordinates, but on Hwy 183 between pickens and walhalla at the county line is Keowee River. This is a great spot. The river is extremely low right now, and until NC starts getting some snows or we get a week of steady rains, it will remain low. There are some great rocks down there along the river. You park on the Pickens county side (it can probably hold about 8-10 cars along the side of the road there) and you walk down to the river. It is ok to go down there. I work for the Nuclear plant that owns all that property, and the only thing is that when that bull horn blows from the keowee hydro station, you have about 10 minutes to get away from the water that will be rushing down. But right now, it would still be a great spot whether there is water moving or not. I looked at it this evening and it is lower than I have ever seen it. Again, it's on Hwy 183 at the county line about 3/4 of a mile from the entrance to the Oconee Nuclear Station. The best way to name it would be "Keowee River Access near the nuclear plant". If you have any questions, let me know.

I may have missed someone else talking about this in the past, but Goatsniper just pointed out a new location...new to me anyway...at Dravo Dam or Gaston Shoals thats north of Gaffney and just south of the NC state line. I added it to the map...check it out...if anyone has been there let me know what its like and post pics if you have them!

spent a little time there today. i believe this would be a good location to hold a comp. some slick rock so it will definetly test the driver. "thumbsup"

gps coordinates 35.140331,-81.605177

PICS (in no particular order)

IMAG0550.jpg

IMAG0549.jpg

IMAG0548.jpg

IMAG0547.jpg

IMAG0546.jpg

IMAG0545.jpg

IMAG0544.jpg

IMAG0543.jpg

IMAG0542.jpg

IMAG0541.jpg

IMAG0540.jpg

IMAG0539.jpg

IMAG0538.jpg

Last edited:
I took these two pics. The first pic is at the hwy 183 bridge, and the second is next to the World of Energy that Duke Energy owns. These look like great spots.
rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

I don't have the coordinates, but on Hwy 183 between pickens and walhalla at the county line is Keowee River. This is a great spot. The river is extremely low right now, and until NC starts getting some snows or we get a week of steady rains, it will remain low. There are some great rocks down there along the river. You park on the Pickens county side (it can probably hold about 8-10 cars along the side of the road there) and you walk down to the river. It is ok to go down there. I work for the Nuclear plant that owns all that property, and the only thing is that when that bull horn blows from the keowee hydro station, you have about 10 minutes to get away from the water that will be rushing down. But right now, it would still be a great spot whether there is water moving or not. I looked at it this evening and it is lower than I have ever seen it. Again, it's on Hwy 183 at the county line about 3/4 of a mile from the entrance to the Oconee Nuclear Station. The best way to name it would be "Keowee River Access near the nuclear plant". If you have any questions, let me know.

Ryan, these are the coordinates. Lat. 34.79237826089951 Long. -82.88334846496582.

I took these two pics. The first pic is at the hwy 183 bridge, and the second is next to the World of Energy that Duke Energy owns. These look like great spots.
rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

Yes sir...nice find! Well have to give that location a chance soon. Hows parking?

Sterling said it. There is plenty. If you are at the county line spot, it is a asphalt pull off that used to be the old bridge over the river back in the '60's. Duke has a yellow gate blocking the road, but the pull off that people can park at can fit about 8 cars easy, and if need be, people park across the street too on the side where the "welcome to Pickens county" sign is. You can fit 2 or 3 more cars there.

Now as for the big hill of rocks picture. If you not are familiar with the lake keowee "hot hole", you can get to it from hwy 130/183 world of energy entrance. Just pull in, go to the bottom of the hill, go left (you can only go left; if you look to your right, you will see the 3 giant reactor buildings) and go up the hill. You can either park on the right in the visitor spots of the world of energy, or you can park in that giant parking lot on the hill and then walk down the nature trail to the rocks. That parking lot says that only Duke's operations guys can park there, but security isn't going to get mad if you park near the nature trail end. That place is open to the public, and that is the last thing on Duke Energy's mind is to make a local mad. They make to much money at that place.

saturday christina and myself went to cedar falls just east of greenville. its a pretty cool spot with a fair amount of parking, rocks, sand, dirt trails, and hill climbs. i wasnt able to get across the river to the large rock this trip. im not sure if the water levels change on a schedule from another dam upstream or not. maybe ryan could give us that info. some rubber boots would have been the key to get across the shallow part but it was a little cold to wade across saturday in regular shoes.

gps coordinates 34.611966,-82.297404

pics
IMAG0642.jpg

IMAG0641.jpg

IMAG0634.jpg

IMAG0635.jpg

IMAG0633.jpg

IMAG0636.jpg

just watch out for the wild chickens :lmao:
IMAG0643.jpg

look for a G6/KOH run here soon.

spent a little time there today. i believe this would be a good location to hold a comp. some slick rock so it will definetly test the driver. "thumbsup"

gps coordinates 35.140331,-81.605177

Will be going here soon with the scaler "thumbsup" awesome spot

the spot you quoted wouldnt be that great for scalers. cedar falls is much better and we actually ran a scale g6 comp there this past sunday. "thumbsup"

Cool getting a lot of parts in for my rig tomorrow want to get them on and hopefully head that way this weekend

Has anyone seen any rock near myrtle beach? I'm there. Lot camping and such and wanted to bring my crawler this week

IMG_20120224_162859.jpg

i just checked with the owner of this property and i am able to use this spot for practicing and what not so if any of you are in the blue ridge area and want to get in some scale or comp activity let me know and we can go here or a few other places that i know close to here!

the closest address i can give you to here is 102 n glassy mtn rd landrum sc 29356

Back