• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Sammy the Hilux

addiemonster

Pebble Pounder
Sammy used to be my N60 4Runner but is now a Hilux again. I like it better this way.

XcBMo0A.jpeg

vIvlRVt.jpeg

I was making pretty good progress on her until for some reason the Rustoleum 2X gloss clear I was applying reacted very badly with the Rustoleum 2X gloss pink. I don't get it, but this isn't the first time it's happened. This same problem absolutely trashed a Bruiser clone I was building a couple years back.

So I sanded down the bad spots and determined once again, I'll have a rusty old truck. I like it better this way.

heaahki.jpeg

zmKgZa5.jpeg

Working on refurbing a previously-used interior from an old project, and deciding what I wanna do color-wise for the fender and hood.

When choosing a driver, it's important to consider things like height, interior depth, etc.

I didn't bother. (y)

MKyxlkQ.jpeg

"I can't see shit!"

ADhCwVY.jpeg

That's a color that I never would've thought could "work" but it does... I think just about any color works on the Hilux. I read through your other thread recently which is what inspired me to get the Bowhouse V5 skid for mine. Yours looks great and I think that the faded/ pastel appearance of the paint lends itself really well to additional weathering.

I had to laugh when I saw your duck. I don't have a driver in my Marlin but I do have this little guy on the dash lol...

Looks good so far
Thanks!
That's a color that I never would've thought could "work" but it does... I think just about any color works on the Hilux. I read through your other thread recently which is what inspired me to get the Bowhouse V5 skid for mine. Yours looks great and I think that the faded/ pastel appearance of the paint lends itself really well to additional weathering.

I had to laugh when I saw your duck. I don't have a driver in my Marlin but I do have this little guy on the dash lol...

Noot noot! I know what you mean, when I was standing in Home Depot looking at paint, I was like "this might be cute..." but when I saw it cured in the sunlight before adding the stripes, I was not so sure. I actually really like how it turned out! And I'm glad I could help you with the skid! I left the delrin RC4WD "low profile" one on this truck because it actually kinda looks like the 1:1 Toyota part from their 80s light trucks. It's nowhere as functionally efficient but I decided to let scale win over performance this time.
Love your Yota builds and color choices. Looks like the beginnings of another awesome rig, great work!
High praise! Thank you very much! Progress on my builds is much slower these days as I don't have quite the income I used to and my age is catching up to me, heh. I do have some fun scale updates coming for this truck. Thanks for tuning in again!

Awesome build, I had a 4th gen Toyota back in mid 90's that had the 22R engine ... kinda missing it now.

That looks great.
Thanks! I had already painted/weathered this engine bay for my 4Runner body. I really had to hack the hell out of it to get it to fit under a Mojave shell! To anyone asking if the 22RE bay fits a Mojave - NO! Not without a TON of modifications and switching up the layout of some components! It might be a different story if you've clocked your motor downward.

I'm still scratch building some details and moving things around, there's still a lot of work to do in here!
Awesome build, I had a 4th gen Toyota back in mid 90's that had the 22R engine ... kinda missing it now.
I'm always jealous of people who actually own old Yotas. My dad had a 2WD fourth gen in the early aughts, it was a carb'd 22R manual with no second gear. The high pitched squeaks and creaks that thing made on the dirt roads where we lived was almost unbearable, not helped by the complete lack of a stereo of any kind. I miss it, though. It had a farm truck charm with it's pizza cutter steelies and homemade work rack. I have no idea what he ever did with it but I'd have to guess it's still running around somewhere in upstate New York.

I'm always jealous of people who actually own old Yotas. My dad had a 2WD fourth gen in the early aughts, it was a carb'd 22R manual with no second gear. The high pitched squeaks and creaks that thing made on the dirt roads where we lived was almost unbearable, not helped by the complete lack of a stereo of any kind. I miss it, though. It had a farm truck charm with it's pizza cutter steelies and homemade work rack. I have no idea what he ever did with it but I'd have to guess it's still running around somewhere in upstate New York.
lol mine was used mainly around a farm (where I had a workshop at the time) and surrounding trails. Way better on the dirt than the roads but I guess with it being a left hand drive truck in the UK (was brought over from Holland) made it a bit impractical to use as a daily driver but it was deal that I couldn't pass up at the time.

Small update, started moving things around and "fabricating" parts for the "22R swap". I relocated the brake booster/master downward because it was too close to the underside of the hood as a result of how much firewall I had to chop to get the insert to fit. I also cut down and sanded a cap from a tube of Unspecified Discomfort Relief Cream to simulate a cheapo NAPA air filter. I spaced it upward from the manifold with what was left of the throttle body. You won't be able to see under it, anyway so whatever. I also relocated the power steering reservoir (?????) from the wheel well to just in front of the intake manifold because it looks like it belongs there and it needed to be moved anyway so

AZTY5I7.jpeg

QUUx5Qv.jpeg

Fbz0URU.jpeg

What is up with the extreme angle RC4WD put on the thermostat housing and the distributor??? I'll try to come up with something for the upper radiator hose by the next update, but for this entry I chopped the distributor cap in half and glued it down to the "solid shadow" of the implied negative space that makes up the motor shroud. I plan to run full wires, hoses, vacuum lines etc so I'll figure out how to account for the two now-missing connectors on top of the chopped cap. I do not know what possessed me to put a downward-facing rad hose on the other side of the radiator. I'll remove it later.

Here's a few reference pictures I'm using. I was at first concerned I'd have to sand down the front of the valve cover and relocate the oil cap as the 22R in my dad's old pickup had a slanted front to it. Turns out it's just a matter of what production run/year your truck is, as the carb'd 22R came with either cover.

buQoXMi.jpeg

WZXIwny.jpeg

xu6H0do.jpeg

I'm not aiming to make this 100% accurate or even fully "scale", just wanted to have some fun and try to cram a somewhat scaled-out engine bay into this thing since all my previous 'Luxies just had molded-in hoods. I do promise to clean up the choppy edges and I will be making hinges and a magnet closure. I'll also be filling in the negative space like the massive gap from grille to radiator with styrene.

A number of layers left to do, but I hope you can see the vision...

mPikBEu.jpeg

4edaZ62.jpeg

Helpful tip if you're like me and come from a scale model/miniature figure painting background: don't bother wasting masking tape and setting up a spray job if you know the end result is gonna be hella textured anyway. Save your tape and time and just brush paint it!

Back