• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

rookie made a poor motor choice... (yeti mad!)

Jubes

hey guys first post, so first things first:
great site learnt alot. (some of which i wish i'd learnt BEFORE purchase :sad: )
anyway on to my newb error.

recently got back into rc after a few years of "growing up" (didn't like it) and fell in love with the yeti's engineering as it had all the elements i liked (fixed rear, sway bars, a-arms, and that cage i love it) so i pulled the pin and went down to my LHS and grabbed a kit version as i'd read about the upgrades and would rather build the thing myself than find out the factory forgot to tighten the 3rd screw on the left (we all have our bad days)

when i bought the kit i got some advice from the shop staff on servos motor esc etc. (let me put on my flame-proof suit here)
the guy at the shop sold me an average servo but that's cool for now:flipoff: , i'm just bashing around and wanted something cheap to start with there upgrading later knowing whether i needed faster/stronger turning.
but the motor esc combo he sold me is the Castle Creations Sidewinder 3 / 5700kv combo....

having run it now a few times i know the run time which i thought was down to the capacity 3300mah tornadorc 45c (2s), is infact the heat cutoff in the esc.:oops:
i figured it out after i bought some 5000mah venom 20c (also 2s) and the run time was the same (5-15 min depending on gravel/tall grass/wet road)
i went back and they've suggested getting a cooling fan and changing gearing (was running close to stock not exact as was +1 pin on the 3mm gear avail.)

now what i want to know is given i bash, and i mean BASH, this thing (broke steering arm in my back yard bashing) and that i now know a little more about ratings etc. to know this motor is definitely not the best choice for this beast,
what is my cheapest solid route to get it so i can run with no heat issues ( like going 1-2 hrs stopping only to change lipos)

should i just get some epically low gearing :shock: and an esc fan?
is there a nice torquey motor which can still give me good speed on the Sidewinder3? (i know it won't be AS fast but atm it wheelies/flips with higher gearing(17+/64) and spins the wheels with lower(14/64) so i don't mind losing a little off the top end but would like my 2s to still be usable)
should i just throw the combo to the side and get a mamba max pro and a <3000kv motor?

looking to order/buy asap to get this running again as it's soo much fun to beat on and uni resumes soon but also don't want to spend too much as i've just dropped enough on this kit as is

P.S. i've seen a few of the 1/8th powered builds on the site and might do that down the line after an increase in skill and a few choice upgrades of course....:mrgreen:

I have the Castle Sidewinder and 5700kv, honestly...I think Castle engineered that system for use in a Traxxas Rustler or Bandit. I tried mine in my HPI Bullet, couldn't gear it low enough to run cool, and that was only a 5lb truck not a 7.5lb Yeti. I do feel the Sidewinder-with a fan did "ok" in my Yeti (in 45F ambient) running 3s with a 550/3200kv motor.

But if you want to run back to back packs, hard, non-stop for 1-2hrs straight, in Australia, I think you will have to upgrade both esc and motor. I swapped out my Sidewinder setup for an 1/8 esc/motor because I like my electronics to run cool... and "more than enough" power is fun!

Good luck, hope you get it running the way you want.

it's a regular 1/10 yeti,
the 1/8th motor/esc mods seem like it would be the ultimate basher given how tough the design of this thing is(with choice bits of metal & keeping flex where needed)

I have the Castle Sidewinder and 5700kv, honestly...I think Castle engineered that system for use in a Traxxas Rustler or Bandit. I tried mine in my HPI Bullet, couldn't gear it low enough to run cool, and that was only a 5lb truck not a 7.5lb Yeti. I do feel the Sidewinder-with a fan did "ok" in my Yeti (in 45F ambient) running 3s with a 550/3200kv motor.

But if you want to run back to back packs, hard, non-stop for 1-2hrs straight, in Australia, I think you will have to upgrade both esc and motor. I swapped out my Sidewinder setup for an 1/8 esc/motor because I like my electronics to run cool... and "more than enough" power is fun!

Good luck, hope you get it running the way you want.

cheers for the advice man, so in the long run it's probably better if i just go epic 1/8 power :mrgreen:

but in the short term i think i'm going to try a fan, low-ish gearing and maybe one of these 2 as they are fairly cheap and postage will be fast
this one if i could waterproof it...
Brand NEW Leopard 4 Poles 2845 2750KV Brushless Motor FOR RC Boat Cars | eBay
or this one because it looks pretty much waterproof already
Brand NEW Leopard 2 Poles 2858 3600KV Brushless Motor FOR RC Boat Cars | eBay
the LHS where i bought it has fans and things from this mob too..
Absima 1 10 10T 3050KV Brushless Sensorless 540 Motor 2130001 OZ RC Models | eBay

i'm willing to take a punt on a lesser brand's motor if others have had good experience, hence why i'm looking at the leopards, the absima sits 100kv under the stock yeti motor but i haven't seen mention of them in forums at all really so am unsure...

the 2750 would be fine on the sidewinder 3? on 2s and up?
2s being fun & fast isn't a total deal breaker though as they can be hooked up series to power a 4s later down the line...

again, cheers for the info (guess i didn't need the flame suit :lol: ), love the forums here full of great bits and ideas

cheers man didn't even think of can size as they looked in the right kv range, again noobing it up on my end.
thanks for the assist,

is there a motor that will run on 2s or 3s on the sidewinder esc but will take the weight if i later bump it up to a more potent esc like a 1/8 mambar or something simialr? or is that just not possible..

edit: even i took a second look at that and realised the level of not really that applies to that, (it's 2a.m. here)
would ideally love to order the new setup soon but i'm definitely being more cautious with the selection this time around,

edit 2: so you'd "back" the leopard motors? (no gonna blame you if i get a dud or anything don't worry)

Last edited:
the sidewinder 3 is "fine" its basically the same as the RTR axial ESC. its just that your motor is way too high of a KV for the yeti. So yes there is a ton of motors that will run on that esc and work well on 2s or 3s so long as the motor and gearing are right. I would suggest a 3000-3600kv in the 3660 size area. FYI, the RTR comes with a 3150kv motor.

Yeah, I think the Leopard motors are decent for the money. I had a couple (not the one I linked above though) in other trucks and was impressed with the power. Can you solder? It looks like the Leopard 3660 comes with 4mm bullets pre-soldered, just not sure the motor wires are long enough to plug right into the Sidewinder 3.

Also check out the Castle 1410 3800kv. Comes with 4mm bullets pre-soldered and flexible, long wires, no problems connecting it to Sidewinder. That's a really nice motor that I feel "punches above it's weight".

Another good one is the Hobbywing 3656 series.

Folks seem to like the Tenshock sc401 v2 also.

Lots of fair priced options out there. And believe me I know it can be confusing, but a little time searching around will definitely pay off when you get the right motor in your Yeti....and a huge grin on your face :mrgreen:

I hope some others chime in to help you get the right motor for the job. "thumbsup"

My Castle 3800kv/SW3 combo is great, slap the fans on and you are golden! Couldn't ask for much more power in that truck!

well unless i hear otherwise i think i'll go with one of these,
Skyrc Toro RC Model 2800 KV 4 Poles Sensorless Brushless Motor IM748 | eBay

also is it just me or does this seem a bit too good for a "budget" motor, being 28x50 pulling 2950kv on 2-5s lipos?
Leopard RC Model 2850 KV2950 4 Poles R C Hobby Inrunner Brushless Motor IM072 | eBay

if someone can give me a semi-decent explanation of how leopard can claim that i'll jump on it as it's only 50% more than the toro
(i do have a BASIC understanding on elec principles i.e. ohm's law etc)

not sure how long i'll wait for someone to chime in though might end up buying tonight but prob not..

That leopard motor is a 28mm diameter motor meaning way to small for the yeti you need to look for motors that are 36mm and bigger

That leopard motor is a 28mm diameter motor meaning way to small for the yeti you need to look for motors that are 36mm and bigger

that's what i was thinking, also why i was impressed by the seller's claims re: its ability,
looking like it'll be the toro then! "thumbsup"
i'll let you guys know how it goes if i'm not to busy playing in the mud/grass/sand or wherever the yeti takes me :mrgreen:
i think the toro should be plenty of fun on the sidewinder 3 till i get itchy for a 1/8th power system in it :-o but i know the skill isn't there yet...or the durability

that would run cooler(motor) being a 2 pole right?

i do want to get the lower end of the kv range the sidewinder will handle that way the motor will still be usable when i feel the need to upgrade the esc.. or burn it

Last edited:
That Hobbyking XK3665 looks great...and rated for up to 4s, there's a thread about it I read here where folks were really impressed. See if I can find it and link...
you mean the turnigy one right? i was almost about to order that now before i go to bed (it's 2:30 am here)
think it would be "waterproof" out of the box or would it req simple modding

you mean the turnigy one right? i was almost about to order that now before i go to bed (it's 2:30 am here)
think it would be "waterproof" out of the box or would it req simple modding

If it was my money, I'd go with the Hobbyking XK3665 (3190kv). Since it is a sensorless motor, it's "waterproof" by default. "thumbsup"

Good luck, I bet it's going to rip! If you Hate it, I'll buy it from you.

Edit: XK3665 has a 5mm shaft. Be sure to get 5mm bore pinions.

Last edited:
If it was my money, I'd go with the Hobbyking XK3665 (3190kv). Since it is a sensorless motor, it's "waterproof" by default. "thumbsup"

Good luck, I bet it's going to rip! If you Hate it, I'll buy it from you.

cheers man but i don't think it'll come to that :mrgreen:
now to see if there's anything else for the yeti on their site i want to grab... hmmmm no sleep tonight "thumbsup"

thanks for the advice guys i will be sure to let you know how it goes:)

edit:
stock yeti pinion has 5mm bore will run that for now and see where it's at

edit 2:
any advice on programming cards or other things i may have forgotten oh shit lipo bag couldn't hurt...

well i ordered the turnigy, some deans connectors male & female, and a lipo bag, can't wait to try the new motor, hobbyking's shipping isn't exactly cheap though is it oh well let's see

Last edited by a moderator:
Back