• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

right rock crawler for me?

truckerdude99

Hello. I am 15 years old and very intererested in RC rock crawling. I only have a little RC experience with a Pro Pulse 1/18 scale racing truck (has 4wd and hobby-grade electronics) but I am good with mechanichal stuff. I have completely rebuilt my rc 3 times. I have acess to tools too. I will be building the crawler over the summer with a budget of about 400 dollars. I was thinking about getting an Axial SCX 10. Would this be a good choice for me?

It really depends what your plans are. Axial makes a great product. The scx is the basis for most the scale rigs out there, so if you you want to get into scale rock crawling it is a great choice. If ya want to get into competition crawling it isn't a good choice.

An SCX10 is an awesome scaler. I would re-think the motor choice, probably go with a 35t instead. The 35t will give your good crawling power and better wheelspeed.

As for an esc, I have a Traxxas XL5 waterproof in 1 of my SCX's and it works pretty good. Never have to worry when making water crossings.

In my other SCX I am running a Novak Rooster Crawler esc omly because I had it lying around. The Novak is only water-resistant.

Hopes this info helps you out....

A scale rig has limits . If you build a scale for your first rig you may be a little discouraged with what it can do . Thats not to say they arent capable just less capable than a comp rig . I would think it depends mainly on where you will be running it . Scale rigs make great trail rigs but if you really want to get a feel for crawling go comp . You can make them look pretty close to scale if thats what you want . With $400 you can build a Losi MRC that can climb like you cant imagine . You should know that things will break so saving a little of that $400 might be a good idea as well . If you want to go bigger than 1.9 consider buying used or maybe a Venom Creeper kit (you will have to put it together) . A kit will allow you to learn every aspect of your truck as you go . You can find VC for under $150 online . You will need electronics though . Or go for a used axial or something . Goodluck and welcome to your new addiction !

Thanks for all the info, and i am pretty sure I am not going to do a scale rocker after what you said, I'll look into the other RC's you suggested.

I would go with a 3 channel remote (Futaba Pmx is my pref.) the Traxxas TQ3 2.4Ghz can be modded for a 3pos third channel. My guess is you are going to want a dig at some point

Those servos are way under powered for rockcrawler steering. A Hitec 7955tg would make you much happier.

I'm not sure about that ESC but I'm fairly sure that the Traxxas ESCs do not have a decent drag brake (I could be wrong and if I am I'm sure someone will correct me). A good budget ESC is the Castle Sidewinder, either way get a BEC.

check craigslist and ebay.. there are some great values to be had.. good luck.. i just picked up a moa bully with $1600 in receipts for $350 off craigslist.. it is possible to find some great stuff.. it is also in brand new conditon.

I thought I would post pics of my current RC for you guys.
4634481568_66b828fd2f_b.jpg
4633881805_ba2f2b9571_b.jpg

That is one of the original tires on the back. The other ones on it are Losi Mini-T rear tires and rims.
Oh, and my new olive drab paintjob I did yesterday.

Last edited:
Whatever you do don't cheap out on the servo, get as close to or over 200oz/in as your budget will allow, otherwise you will just be replacing it in no time. I use a losi esc, not the best but I had it laying around, probably going to get a sidewinder soon though. If you can get a 2.4ghz 3 channel radio in your budget go for it, the spektrum mentioned above is supposed to be pretty good. Most importantly HAVE FUN!!!!

Ok, so I have it planned out so far, although it is looking slightly expensive.............. But, what should I do for a battery and charger?

Lipo would be a good choice, I just picked up a 1300ma 2s hyperion lipo for ~$15 at my lhs, check out what is available from the site's vendors, they tend to have some good deals on lipos. As for chargers, I bought a turnigy 2s-3s balancing charger on ebay for less than 15 shipped, coulda got if for less but would've had to wait up to a month for it to get here from china, the guy I bought from is in the states, be here this week. You could grab an imax b6 for around $45 shipped in the states if you wanted to. If you don't want to spend much then just use what you have from the propulse, it should be around a 1000mah 6 cell IIRC, and it's got a decently small footprint, and you can grab a split pack from one of the vendors to mount on your front axle for around $25. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Thanks! But I have changed my mind to go with a Losi MRC instead. Any useful tips? Oh btw, the propulse has a 1200 mah battery.

Back