• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Replica-Campbell Racing's 2013 KOH IFS Rig

dna4engr

Rock Crawler
Replica-Campbell Racing's 2013 Stealth KOH IFS Rig

I had an extra Axial EXO kit and though about combining it with a Wraith, but that has been done a lot now by different members. They are really cool, but I want to do something original.

I was perusing youtube and found a video of the 2011 King of Hammers, the year Shannon Campbell won the race. I loved his rig being IFS and used for rock crawling but then being able to get out in the desert and fly.
Here is a pic of his 2012 KOH entry.
528677_10150646371089021_1967443901_n.jpg

I am going to braze the complete tube frame using 3/16" brake line to match the 2013 version he's working on now. From the reference points I've made, I'm measuring in the 1/8 to 1/9 scale range.
622411_10151054103794021_453818183_o.jpg

622515_10151056413459021_75161591_o.jpg

Going to use a Wraith skid with the Exo front gear case and lower suspension arms, wraith rear axle. Some aluminum upgrades to the steering and some Axial universals. Vanquish locker in the front.

This is what I have so far. I rolled up the potential cost of this thing and I made some compromises. One of them being only ordering parts for when I need them. I have an old axial tranny that I am using for mockup with a Castle brushless motor for size.
IMG_0076-1.jpg

I plan to make some upper a-arms, we'll see how that goes.

Drivetrain will likely be:
-Castle MMP with a Tekin Pro4 or Tenshock (haven't decided yet).
-Bomb proof tranny built like my Wringo.
-Axial over drive gears (it's gotta be fast enough to beat my other Exo :twisted:). -MIP drive shafts
-STRC/Vanquish goodies for the rear end.

Steering is up in the air at the minute. There are the challenges of mounting the exo steering. Contemplated a servo only steering, but we'll see what happens.

Batteries are undecided. I need to get the basic frame laid out and see what I can fit in there. I'd like it to be 2S lipos for normal use but be able to fit 3S for all out speed.

Body panels will either be custom styrene or Aluminum sheet. Not a lot to do for this style of rig.
Interior will likely be a Wraith interior cut to fit. Since his rig is a single seat, we'll see how the scale works out.

He uses the Walker Evans wheels with a green beadlock ring. Since no one makes a direct copy in metal with beadlock. I'm looking at these from RC4WD.
Predator Crawler 2.2 Beadlock Wheel

Lastly is the tires. Shannon uses Goodyear Kevlars. The RC4WD two-face tires are really the best clone for a 2.2. However, I can't find much information on if they will work good for off-road and some rock crawling. Contemplating using something else like the MT TTC, or PB Rock beast II for performance, but the two faces really look like the kevlars. No matter which tire it is, I'll be running some CI foams.
Two Face 2.2 Offroad Scale Tires

Stay tuned. I hope to get a good start over the next few weeks as I use up my PTO before the end of the year. Overall it will take a while as I will need the all important funds to finish her up.

Last edited:
Cool. I have always loved this rig. He's pretty bad ass too, as a driver. Also, check out JPKN's build in the large scale thread.

Also, I used to live in south Minneapolis, before moving out to Vermont in 2006...

Are you going straight axle in the back? He runs an offset rear pumpkin on a straight axle.

Are you going straight axle in the back? He runs an offset rear pumpkin on a straight axle.

Going to run a Wraith OCP axle in the back. It isn't as offset as his rig but it will get the job done. I thought about the Trex axle but I have so much Axial stuff already, and the Wraith housing can take a beating. The vanquish smooth rear cover looks somewhat like the housing he uses.
I'm going to attempt to make rear lower links like he is using on the new rig. We'll see how it goes.
546592_10151060053924021_905289721_n.jpg

Thanks

rc4wd makes a link like those"thumbsup" I have a set if youd like to save some time hit me up.

How long are they? The wheelbase on this thing is going to be 13-14" which puts the link length around 5". That is why I figured I'd have to try and make them.

Cannot wait to see this rig come together. I love Campbell's rigs "thumbsup" If im not mistaken, someone in the large scale section built one that looked pretty good, though it was almost as big as a lawn mower :ror:

Cool. I have always loved this rig. He's pretty bad ass too, as a driver. Also, check out JPKN's build in the large scale thread.

Just checked out his rig...WOW for scale realism on the rear axle and the frame. If they made Two face tires that big, it would be hard to distinguish his rig from the real thing. It's even cooler that Shannon was able to sign it.

I will do everything I can to do Campbell Racing proud with this build. I haven't even made my first brazed joint yet and I am getting anxious to be done already.:mrgreen:

I finally got some time to start working on this thing. Had to do a lot of preparation with drawings and measuring to make sure I get the scale close. Using the WB and track width I found on Pirate 4x4 the scale is going to be 1:7. That puts the wheelbase at 16.5". Pretty long but after I laid it out it isn't so bad. I got the Front diff and suspension started with the Vanquish locker and OD gears. In the rear I'm using an HR locker. Rear diff is assembled for the most parts. Future upgrades to be coming. For tube work, I got a decent start, but a long way to go. The lower frame around the skid plate is as far as I could get before Christmas but I have it ready and the bent transition to the front differential mount.

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

I have a few days home next week, hopefully can make some real progress.

Got some Parts!! I had planned to go with the predator wheels from RC4WD but then I made the decision to use the Locked Up RC Rock Cutter wheels as they look really close and they have the SLW compatibility. With the different track width of the Exo vs the Wraith, I felt the SLW system will allow me to get an even track width F to B. Also the Agile rings are much more realistic.

I am really torn about which way to paint these. Go with the old Campbell racing setup of a silver wheel and green beadlock ring or the new setup with green wheels??? Any Suggestions??

IMG_0160.jpg

I was also torn in regards to the tires. I had planned on the Twoface tires from RC4wd but I was really concerned about performance. Well, the Pitbull Rockbeast 2's just came back in stock with a lot of sources so in an impulse buy, I ordered a set for this rig. I leaned toward performance vs. pure scale appearance. They should be here early next week along with the CI foams. I do plan to drive this thing...A LOT!!

The frame progress is coming along. I got the front diff mount brazed on and made the middle frame structure. Now I just need to get the upper part of the cage done and I can start on all the support bracing and figuring out where all the other bits and pieces need to go (battery, rx, esc, winch controller)

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

Ltr

Got to spend a little more time yesterday so I knocked out the top of the cage and attached it to the main structure.

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

I received the SLW spacers yesterday too. I made a guess that the 350 would be enough to clear the front steering knuckle of the Exo...wrong. I need to pick up some 475's. I can mount the wheels with the 350's, just don't turn really easy.

Ltr

Was a busy weekend so I didn't get to work on this rig until today. The Pitbulls showed up this morning...OMG these are just beautiful! I know I'm a broken record, but these are truly a good looking tire. Even sitting in the freezing cold outside they were super soft when I pulled them out of the package.

I spent most of the time getting the rear of the cage done. I still have to figure out the "engine" mount area from the real car (its behind the driver but as you can see from previous pics the motor for this thing will be under the drivers backside). I plan to use that as a battery mount area, or a electronics area, depending on weight balance once I get this thing closer to done. There will probably be room to mount the batteries in the cab if needed. I also got the driver side and behind the driver parts of the cage done. Will tackle the right side of the cage later tonight hopefully.

IMG_0188_zps66dd97b3.jpg

IMG_0190_zpsede5eaf6.jpg

I also couldn't wait to get the Pitbulls mounted up on the LURC rock cutter wheels (not permanently mounted just a few screws for the look and feel). Just did one side and put them in place on the frame. WOW, I like it a lot!

You will see the entire Aluminum EXO frame sitting in there. I haven't decided where to cut it yet as I plan to make a custom steering mount to use the EXO steering system and the tapped holes in the front give me a mounting location. It slides into the frame and allowed me to put the front end in to mount the tires.

IMG_0192_zps4323bf0f.jpg

IMG_0193_zps45f173b3.jpg

I also made some compromises due to cost on the electronics. I'm going to gut my Wringo tranny and motor/esc combo for this rig. I have another rebuild plan for that rig that I plan to go to an HH brushed motor with WP BRXL. This will be ready to go for a Pro4 when I can justify spending the money on that rather than one of my other rigs.

Ltr

Back