• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Record only FPV style camera for micro scale?

Marasaiii

So I've got an SCX24 with the Deadbolt body, and I wanna add a little camera into the passenger seat to record video. I figure the camera's they use on drones for FPV flight would work great, but I don't need a transmitter or anything, just want it to record straight to a micro SD card. Or really just anything small and light enough to fit on the body like that without being a major problem, and not be TOO big of a drain on the battery. Does anyone have any experience in the area or any recommendations to point me in the right direction?

So I've got an SCX24 with the Deadbolt body, and I wanna add a little camera into the passenger seat to record video. I figure the camera's they use on drones for FPV flight would work great, but I don't need a transmitter or anything, just want it to record straight to a micro SD card. Or really just anything small and light enough to fit on the body like that without being a major problem, and not be TOO big of a drain on the battery. Does anyone have any experience in the area or any recommendations to point me in the right direction?

how about one of these? They are smaller than 1" cubed.

https://www.amazon.com/Camera-Porta...p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sr=8-24

Well Bigworm got me pointed in a good direction, I ended up finding this thing that looked a bit better to me, plus being only 9 bucks. Here's hoping it's got good video quality. From what I measured, it should fit nicely in the passenger seat of the Deadbolt, but I may have to take the cage off to get it in and out. It says it should be here next week sometime, so if all goes well I'll post some video to show off "thumbsup".

Well Bigworm got me pointed in a good direction, I ended up finding this thing that looked a bit better to me, plus being only 9 bucks. Here's hoping it's got good video quality. From what I measured, it should fit nicely in the passenger seat of the Deadbolt, but I may have to take the cage off to get it in and out. It says it should be here next week sometime, so if all goes well I'll post some video to show off "thumbsup".

Wow! That is small, and cheap! Im interested to see the output.

Sorry it took me so long, been a little sick lately, but I finally got some sample video for this little thing. The camera splits up video into 5 minute segments, similar to a GoPro. I was going to upload something a bit longer, but youtube took down their online editor and I don't have anything else to splice videos together atm :cry:.

But the camera JUST fits inside the passenger seat on the SCX24 Deadbolt. You've gotta either take the cage off to get it in and out, or stretch the bar that acts as the top of the window up a bit, which I don't feel comfortable doing more than once lol. As you can see in the video, the camera sits low enough that it gets a bit of the dash, hood, and the right body in frame; there's a LITTLE bit of room between the top the camera and the cage, so you might be able to fit some double sided tape or stick on velcro in there to mount the camera and move it up a bit to help with the framing. I just had the camera stuck in with some blue poster putty holding it to the seat behind it.

The video quality is really good for just $10 USD. It gets a little wavy when the picture moves side to side quickly, and the colors in the black range sometimes turn purple. For example my Dad in the video is wearing black but it looks very purple in the video. Also the camera saves as some weird audio and video codecs despite being .avi. VLC media player played it just fine on both windows and android, but I had to convert the file to get it to upload to youtube. The video codec is "Motion JPEG Video" (MJPG), and audio is "araw" if those mean anything to anyone. Also the sound on the camera seems to be decent, but any voices or anything is absolutely drowned out by amplified RC car noises.

Also I've gotten 40 minutes worth of video out of the thing and haven't had to charge the battery in it yet! It's also a lot of weight up high and on one side for the little SCX24. A 1/10 scale wouldn't mind it, I'm sure, but to run it in a 1/24 long term I think I'd have to had weight to the driver side to level it out then stiffen the springs. So it may only see occasional use in that Deadbolt lol. But really, even with it's drawback, this is a great little camera to use to record from an RC car's point of view.

DeadboltCam1.jpg

DeadboltCam2.jpg

Last edited:
Back