• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

RC4WD Metal roof rack?

jonathanm

I have a metal roof rack fitted to my RC4WD TrailFinder 2 SWB (with 1.55 wheels because I found that the 1.9s caught on the wheel arches), originally the idea was to add scale accessories to it and also to protect the paintwork in case of rolls, however the scale accessories thing didn't really happen (sadly, a lack of imagination and enthusiasm / encouragement - it often feels like it's only me who does this sort of thing around here so there's nobody to appreciate it but me) so it's looked a bit awkward really. I have wheel weights front and rear so the Jeep Wrangler body stays off the ground most of the time anyway, I'm just wondering if I should run without the roof rack so that the Jeep will be literally glued to the trail even more so. What's a few scratches, eh? Maybe I could paint on some sort of protective coat over the black paint, advice? Thanks.

Don't feel too bad... I'm in the same boat regarding the enthusiasm lately. I used to have a great friend that was heavy into the RC world. We would crawl, create courses, innovate, modify, etc, etc. But over the last couple years we became pretty disconnected and then he dropped out of the picture completely. That left me with just my wife and needless to say, it's just not the same. She has zero interest in my hobbies and although I understand, it doesn't make the loss of my best mate any less unfortunate. I still do the RC thing and just run solo but it certainly took a big chunk of the fun away. Anyway... It is what it is.

So regarding the roof rack... I'm all for scale realism and personalizing rigs to look like the real thing. Accessories are insane these days in terms of all that's available so it sometimes gets overwhelming to not go overboard but regarding the cargo rack/ roof rack, I personally would run the rig without it. There's a point where you have to consider performance over accessorizing and with a metal rack being so high above the chassis, you would likely see a huge improvement in handling, stability, and overall ability if you remove the rack.

I wouldn't worry about the body and in-fact, I feel like all the scrapes, rash, dings are one of the coolest and most real looking "modifications" that you can make lol. Shows that the rig gets driven hard and isn't a shelf-queen. Once you get some wear & tear on that body, the rest come much easier.

I'll add to this that you may actually do less damage to the body not having that metal cargo rack on there anyway. The vehicle will be more inclined to stay put without being so top-heavy and potentially flipping over.

Anyway... best of luck and I hope that you're able to find some fun and solace in running your rig and working on it. I still do and I'm finding some benefits of running solo. I still find it relaxing and rewarding to a degree.

Thank you for your reply, it's encouraging just to hear that I'm not alone in being alone in the hobby!

I'll try without the roof rack, heck maybe I'll touch up any scratches I make in a metallic paint to make them look even more authentic, add some rust colours too etc. I recently went around the panel lines and doors etc with some black ink wash (which I usually use on miniatures), added a whole different dimension of realism to the look of the model even from a distance.

So, thanks and happy RC-ing!

I too do my crawling solo. I tried to get my flying buddies interested, but so far it's a no go. I have to drive a bit to get to anywhere good to crawl. Having a swimming pool pretty much wiped out any shot at building a crawler course in the back yard.

I play with my mini crawlers every where I can, but the 10th scale stuff I have to make a little more effort, and it's not the same heading to the hills by myself. Hang in there and keep the faith, you never know when you will meet someone else who's into it.

Back