• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

RC Crawling Noob in Phoenix/Surprise

debrent

Hey Everyone,
My name is Don and I live in Surprise (work in Phoenix) and am brand new the RC Crawling hobby. I started out in RC Cars about 2 weeks ago when (on a whim) I stopped by Hobby Bench and picked up a Traxxas Bandit (basic model). I had so much fun that 3 days later I had a Traxxas Slash enroute from Tower Hobby. After a lot of internet searching and watching everything I could find on YouTube, I stumbled across some RC Crawling and scale trail running videos (specifically the Axial promo video for the SCX10 Honcho and some Axialfest stuff) and I thought that looks sooooo cool!!!

And...on the 19th of this month (9 days ago) I went back to Hobby Bench and got the SCX10 Honcho. I've only run it a couple of times but have had an absolute BLAST on both occasions and plan to run quite often in the weeks and months.

As luck would have it, I work about 5 minutes from a VERY NICE scale off-road location at Buffalo Ridge park (approx 16th St & Union Hills), so I can go and put the Honcho through it's paces on my lunch hour pretty much any weekday!

It seems like we have a lot of crawling options here in the valley due the natural desert terrain. Has anyone else checked out Buffalo Ridge? BTW, I've read the "Park Rules" sign and there is no ban on RC models posted. Hopefully that won't change. I mostly make use of trails for the disk golf course, they seem perfect for RC off-road. There is also a few hiking trails that start there and those look fun as well but would take longer than a lunch hour.

Anyway, I hope to hear from some fellow valley crawlers. Is there a local club?

Don Brent

Okay so I just saw the "Post Up" sticky and added my info there. I also noticed that there are indeed some clubs around (should have read a few posts first) so I'll Google some of those.

if you FB, there are many pages devoted to whatever r/c discipline blows air up your skirt. :ror:
or just hang out here and it will post up "thumbsup"

Hey Don,

I'm Don too, out in Goodyear. Look up Arizona Scail Trail Runners on Facebook for a more active environment. Most of the people there are on the east side of the valley, but the site is pretty active and generally someone is doing a trail run on the weekend.

I would also suggest coming out to a comp and seeing if that's something that you would be interested in.

Feel free to message any specific questions you may have as well.

Good luck and have fun!

Back