• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Quicrun ESC and brushless motor

redpeppers

I'm not yet a crawler owner, but plan to get one in the next month or so (once I've convinced the Mrs that I definitely need one). I'm up for a challenge to build a kit, but my budget is limited so I'm looking at getting the best reasonable parts available. So far, the options are to go for either an Axial SCX10 2 or Traxxas Sport kit. Component wise, I'm considering a Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 ESC and the Annimus (Amazon) 20kg servo. After watching a video on brushless motors, I was wondering if I should go for one instead of brushed. Can one use a brushless motor with the Quicrun 1080 ESC? As an alternative, Amazon has a brushless 3660-3800KVA brushless motor with a 45A waterproof ESC for around $50. Has anyone tried the Amazon combo? Looking forward to your inputs. Thanks.

The HobbyWing 1080 ESC is brushed only, but is the best choice for the money.

Pair it with a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21t in the TRX-4 Sport kit and you are golden!

Cheap brushless combos generally aren't worth it for crawling, you won't have the good low-speed control desired.

BTW - if you go with the SCX10.2 instead of the TRX-4 (which I wouldn't, if it were me) you will not be able to fit a 550 motor, get a 540 with around 35 turns instead.

Brushless is completely unnecessary and I only use it when I want big power in a big rig like my 2.2 Bomber.

Back