• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

QuesoDelDiablo's turn to build an SXC10 II!

QuesoDelDiablo

RCC Addict
Yup, that's right. It's another build thread!

I'll try to make as many updates as are relevant, and I'll try to keep this thread interesting. There's already lots of build threads out there so if traffic indicates mine is just another one, with nothing special or unique to offer I'll let her die an honourable death by falling through the pages...

I thought of myself as pretty darn lucky a couple of weeks ago when my LHS texted me a picture the SCX10 II kit just minutes after it arrived in their shop. I was planning on waiting and watching everyone's builds while killing some time to see if HPI ever got around to releasing the Venture (grumble grumble grumble, I still want that rig). But as soon as I saw that picture, she had to be mine. We had just put our kitten down a few days previous so I could easily justify this as retail therapy. And so, I was the lucky recipient of the very first SCX10 II kit to land in our city! (at least as far as I know; there is one other shop but I try not to shop there so they don't count..).

Like so many others, my plan was to build her up stock and then wait to see what needs upgrading as I go. I have mostly stuck to that. The only place I've strayed from that is the wheels; I had nice set of aluminum bead locks with 8mm wideners so those went on.

The initial plan is to keep this build on the budget side and electronics are going to be the best place to save money. I'll almost inevitably end up upgrading it all down the line but this'll get her operational..

Hobbywing 1060
PowerHD 13Kgcm Servo (180ozin)
RC4WD 35T motor (I actually really like these motors, cheap and easily replaced)
She'll be running on 3S

And I'll probably end up throwing a CCBEC in as well to make sure I can max out that servo since it's a little low on torque.

I'm rapidly approaching the end of the initial build for this rig. I say initial because as we all know, it's never really done. Overall, the build process has been incredibly smooth. With a few tips I picked up on the boards here and few trial & error solution, the kit has gone together perfectly. I had no missing parts and no defects in my kit; yay! As so many have said before Axial really nailed it with this one.

I thought I was being sooo original when I picked orange as my colour of choice. Ooops, seeing all the other builds out there, I'm seeing a lot of orange. BUT! No one else seems to have hit my exact tone. I was going for a 1970's VW orange, as a tribute my 1974 Westfalia that was tragically lost to a drunk driver when I was about 18. I think I got pretty close to the colour I was after. I ended up using Tamiya pure orange backed with their copper.

My Build tips:(I'll try and consolidate any tips/tricks I come up with here in this first post)

-It should be common knowledge to most people that have put screws into plastic before but, always run a screw into the parts before you assemble them (especially on the roof rack!!!) in order to cut the threads properly.

-When assembling the transmission, over tightening the bolts can cause binding in the transmission.

-When building your shocks, check that the piston moves up/down freely, I had to lightly sand one piston to prevent it from sticking. Boring the shock cylinder would be viable as well but I prefer sanding the piston because it's cheaper to replace if I mess it up..

-When attaching your servo horn to the pushrod, make sure and put the bolt head towards the chassis and the nut towards the ground - fail to do this, and the bolt will hang up and lock your steering.

-Once everything is installed and wired up, Axial doesn't tell you that on one of your parts trees there is a little bracket that will lock your esc cable into the clip on the battery tray. Look for it, it's there...

-When trimming the body, drill first (or at least mark the drill locations) before you paint. I've done every body I've ever painted that way but this time I decided to follow the instructions perfectly and ended up seriously regretting it. Once there's paint on the shell, the dimples that define drill points and cut lines are much harder to see....

Everybody loves pictures so, a few pics for filler:

Building suspenion:
quesodeldiablo-87485-albums4346-62944.jpg

Servo winch runs under a little toy winch I had laying around, I'm quite please with how this worked out
quesodeldiablo-87485-albums4346-62963.jpg

Electronics in, still finalizing body mount. I'll be mounting it via velcro initially, I really don't like the posts sticking out of the body. If the velcro proves unreliable though, I'm keeping my options open to go back and use the posts/clips...
quesodeldiablo-87485-albums4346-62959.jpg

I'll shut her down there for now, more updates to follow...

Electronics Update:
I opted for a 35T Integy Lathe motor instead of the RC4WD. I've never used a rebuildable motor before and I'm interested to see how this one performs. My guy at the LHS broke it down for me that this motor is 80% better than a disposable; a hand-wound would probably be 20% better than this one. Considering that this motor was $40 compared to the hand-wound Novak for $100, this motor seems like a solid choice. For now...

Last edited:
Well, crud. Had a great update all typed up and I went a deleted it. I'll try to summarize it somewhat..

Took her out for a 'run' (it was just a walk in the park with the wife) on the weekend. Quite impressed with how well she performs. Given, I was on pretty tame terrain, but there was a few spots I was able to push her a bit and she did not disappoint. there was a couple sections I was never able to negotiate (such as, my neighbours rock garden) with my V1, but this new V2 walked though them without trouble.

The Hobbywing esc works well, drag brake seems good, although I haven't taken her anywhere super-duper steep yet to really find out. Ran one battery down to the cut-off and it was about 3.4V when it hit the charger so the cut-off is working prperly.

The PowerHD servo is pretty impressive so far, fast and quiet. I took it all apart to waterproof it and I was pleasantly surprised to find everything is o-ringed, the board looks to be well made and the gears are all metal. It's currently running at about 150ozin (based in the esc bec at 5V) and even at that relatively low number I was never made to feel like i need more torque. Once I get my bec wired in she'll be pushing about 180ozin which I think will be just fine.

The only mods I've done so far are to switch the rear shocks to 60wt which made a huge difference to reducing the torque twist, and I'm running 8mm wheel wideners for a little extra track width. I was quite surprised at how much TT this rig had, but as I tune the suspension I can see it going away. I was quite pleased that even with the wideners the wheels still tuck nicely.

I opted for a velcro body mount since I really dislike post/clips. It seems to be holding well so far, but I haven't had any major spills yet. We'll see how it does next time I cart wheel down a huge slope. I've left motions open so I can go back to the posts if I need to.

All in all, first run out, no real pushing the limits of what can be done yet, but I'm a happy camper based on what I see so far.

quesodeldiablo-87485-albums4346-62981.jpg

quesodeldiablo-87485-albums4346-62986.jpg

quesodeldiablo-87485-albums4346-62984.jpg

quesodeldiablo-87485-albums4346-62982.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! I really like the Boom Racing Krait wheels on it! Looks sharp!

I LOVE those Power HD servos, but next time opt for the 20KG model, it's only a few bucks more and it makes GREAT power. I have 4 of the 20KG models on different rigs and they are all working perfectly.

Looks great! I really like the Boom Racing Krait wheels on it! Looks sharp!

I LOVE those Power HD servos, but next time opt for the 20KG model, it's only a few bucks more and it makes GREAT power. I have 4 of the 20KG models on different rigs and they are all working perfectly.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how they look too. I won them at a G6 last year and originally thought the gold was too blingy; I think it actually works nicely with the orange paint job.

I definitely plan to go with the 20kg unit for future purchases. I only got the 13kg on this one because it came with the esc - $35.00 for the combo...

Nice job. Question though; where do you guys get your servo winches?

I made mine from a $7 servo I bought and use a HeyOK controller for it. It's ridiculously simple to make one; the only slightly challenging thing about it is coming up with a spool that is low profile enough for this rig.

Last edited:
Back